Tommy Bolin Tribute thread...........

BETTSLPtone

• Members

Man, it's unfair that this man doesn't get more recognition for the work he did. He was without a doubt the most versatile guitarist of his time. He could play it all, and he did play it all. Psychodelic-blues with Zephyr, Rock n' Roll with the James Gang, Hard Rock with the Deep Purple machine, Jazz with Alphonse Mouzun,, Fusion with Jan Hammer and Billy Cobham, and that's only half of it. Now with that all said, it's a cryin' shame this man is hardly heard of or his name isn't ever mentioned when discussing rock's finest guitarists.

So much great work , with so many different types of players and different kinds of music. I'm partial to the James Gang Era but his Billy Cobbham stuff also kicks my ass as well as his Purple stuff. Why oh Why did this man have to Pass on!? :cry:

• Members

Someone turned my on to Bolin back in the late 1970's and I started collecting all of his vinyl.

I don't have those records any longer, but now I've got the urge to him him again.

Perhaps I'll make a Pandora Tommy Bolin station, and head over to YouTube to see what is there.

EDIT: someone put together a real nice photo tribute to Tommy, over at YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=991exg0Wt4k&feature=related

• Members

My only experience w/ TB is via Purple's Taste the Band. Love that record and some live stuff from the following tour.

Dude.........Check out his James gang stuff, Billy Cobhams' Spectrum , and his solo records just to start. They are INSANELY good. :thu:

• Members

I had read a couple of interviews, or gear discussions, and he would just use a plain ol' strat, into his fuzz and tape/echo machine, into tube heads, bass cranked, treble and mids lowered, fuzz up all the way, and control that with the volume knob on the guitar, plays almost clean, with that same setup. Incredible old school fuzz ROCK!

Definitely check out the solo albums, Teaser and Private Eyes.

Suggested listening ...

Savannah Woman on Teaser

Wild Dogs on Teaser

both are great examples of the different types of music he incorporates in his own style. Brazilian Jazz on Savannah Woman, and a good old ballad on Wild Dogs, with Tommy playing all kinds of crazy whoops and barks and crazy sounds all over the song. All with feedback, volume knob on the strat, and the couple of contols on the echo/tape machine.

Post Toastee on Private Eyes

Shake the Devil on Private Eyes

Cranked strat/fuzz into a guitar amp with the bass cranked. Cool tone, very very fat, but you can still hear the notes in the chords, and he has a very fluid sound to his lead lines, lots of sustain, and finger vibrato.

Bolin's use of fuzz is a good example of why a lot of people don't get a very good sound out of fuzz. They already have so much gain and harmonics in their tone, the fuzz just makes it a really muddy mess. Fuzz sounds awesome when used with it's original intent. To simulate an overdriven amp, by clipping off the waves. Let the fuzz give you the dirt, turn your amp, tube or solid state, to a gain level of "almost clean" where, if you hit a chord with the guitar volume up all the way, you get a bit of a crunch, play it softer, it cleans up. Way less treble on the amp, again, let the fuzz provide the bite for you, and balance that bite out with the bass. Then turn that fuzz on! That is how fuzz, at least the early fuzz face stuff, was meant to be used.

Hendrix was the master at the fuzz face! Bolin was awfully good himself.

• Members

Tommy had a unique style and sound...

He's been one of my favorites for many years!

I still listen to his solo stuff regularly... and it's fun to cover one of his tunes once in a while with my band... there's always a few people in the crowd who know and recognize Tommy!

M

• Members

Tommy was a great writer the 2 James Gang, Deep Purple & his 1st solo album were all recorded within 2 year span. Unfortunately he was as high as he was gifted. Met him a few times and was always so loaded.

• Members

Tommy was a great writer the 2 James Gang, Deep Purple & his 1st solo album were all recorded within 2 year span. Unfortunately he was as high as he was gifted. Met him a few times and was always so loaded.

Who wasn't in the 1970's!!? :idk:

And so was Eric Clapton, SRV, Eddie Van Halen and Jimi just to name a few..........whats your point?

Archived