Tried my first P-90 guitar, and it was freaking awesome!

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

I'm not happy with the pickups in my Fender custom HH tele, and I've been listening to sound samples of different pickups online. But about every pickup sounded like it had something missing in the sound, both humbuckers and single coils. I found that I liked the sound of the P-90 samples more. I've never played a P-90 guitar so I went to the local guitar shop. The only P-90 guitar they had was a PRS, and the tag said Semi-Hollow Soapbar SE. Plugged it into a Fender HRD (have the same amp at home). I about jizzed my pants from the sound. My wife was with me, and she normally is bored listening to electrics (she likes the sound of acoustic guitar better). She loved the tone too. Needless to say, I now want P-90's in my tele, but I've got a few questions:

1. Are there and significant sound differences between humbucker sized P-90s and traditional sized P-90s?

2. A silent pickup would be a plus. Does the DiMarzio Bluesbucker do a good job at getting the P-90 sound?

3. What are some good P-90 pickups?

Thanks.

• Members

Seymour Duncan makes some nice P-90 pickups, and the Phat Cats. Gibson makes original P-90s and also the humbucker sized P-94.

Silent? don't bet on it. If you want a real P-90 sound it has to be a true single coil. solution: ISP decimator right after the guitar in the signal chain.

• Members

after lots of experience and experimentation on my own, I generally prefer p90s for just about everything, even fairly hard punk and rock. can get a bit noisy, but better tone is better tone. nothing sounds meaner than the growl of a p90.

I agree. When I got my goldtop I was reluctant to play high gain with p90s because of the noise. But man, when you learn to tame those bastards -- great tone.

Only thing I am missing is the harmonics of my Jazz/JB humbuckers. Can't seem to pull much out of the p90s.

• Members

I threw a GFS bucker sized P90 into the neck of my Epi LP Custom. Through my Valve Jr, it sounds like pure testosterone. I bought the pup because every talked about the 'growl' of a P90, and now I get it. With my volumes set to play just under break-up with a soft attack, I can drive it into full on angry distortion with a heavy hand. Very fun to play, sounds meaner than any super high gain metal tone I've ever heard while still producing a very musical sound.

I still have a HB in the bridge, it's kinda cool to be able to switch over to it and TOTALLY change how the guitar sounds. In the middle position the P90 isn't nearly as charming, but it's a unique sound in combination with the bucker. Anyone who hasn't played a P90 guitar before should go check out the line-up at GFS. I think I paid $30 for the pup, can't beat it for a little experimentation.

Archived