How do I know if I can use a whammy bar or not?

Hahutzy

• Members

Hey guys, I bought a Behringer strat copy. It didn't come with a whammy bar. The bridge does have a screw hole for a whammy bar though.

How do I know if it can use a whammy or not? And if so, can I just buy a strat whammy bar off ebay and screw it in?

Thanks.

• Members

If you're asking the question, the answer is 'no.' You cannot use a tremelo bar on your guitar...

Yes because everyone starts out knowing all the guitar knowledge in the world like the back of their hand on Day 1.

• Members

Opened it, there's springs.

Thanks!

Yes because everyone starts out knowing all the guitar knowledge in the world like the back of their hand on Day 1.

I'm embarrassed. I guess I assumed that you were not a beginner.

I apologize...

• Members

Wow, HC is kinda dickish today. All worked up about the Indian Scout and $0.90 threads?

OP, if the Behringer is an import, then you'll probably have to specifically find a metric whammy bar. Perhaps a Squire bar would fit? If you have a Guitar Center nearby, you can take your guitar in and ask to try a few different bars in it to find one that'll fit.

• Members

Well when I meant 5mm, I meant 5mm shaft, excluding the twirl on the screw itself. So I think you're right about the 6mm. In any case, I think I'll just take it to a nearby store and check it out.

And I know cheap guitars + whammy = tuning 24/7, but for less than $10, I just want to try it and see if I like trem enough to make that a factor in my future guitar choices.

• Members

Well when I meant 5mm, I meant 5mm shaft, excluding the twirl on the screw itself. So I think you're right about the 6mm. In any case, I think I'll just take it to a nearby store and check it out.

And I know cheap guitars + whammy = tuning 24/7, but for less than $10, I just want to try it and see if I like trem enough to make that a factor in my future guitar choices.

Don't let a vintage style decide that. Try a Floyd Rose. It's the best trem system ever.

• Members

If I get some tuning pegs with locks from ebay, how hard would it be to install them onto my current guitar?

And if I have tuning pegs that lock, would it help keep the strings in tune when I use the whammy? Or are you guys claiming that the strings get loose from the bridge side?

• Members

If I get some tuning pegs with locks from ebay, how hard would it be to install them onto my current guitar?

And if I have tuning pegs that lock, would it help keep the strings in tune when I use the whammy? Or are you guys claiming that the strings get loose from the bridge side?

Depending on the type of tuners you get, they can be really easy to install, but honestly, they aren't going to keep you in tune any better than non-locking tuners.

If you have tuning problems with your guitar, the most likely culprit is the nut. I'd suspect on the Behringer, you're going to have tuning problems caused by a combination of the nut, the string trees, and the trem itself. The nut and string trees can be easily fixed (or at least bettered) by making sure the slots aren't too tight and then using some graphite in the slots and on the string trees.

• Members

Depending on the type of tuners you get, they can be really easy to install, but honestly, they aren't going to keep you in tune any better than non-locking tuners.

If you have tuning problems with your guitar, the most likely culprit is the nut. I'd suspect on the Behringer, you're going to have tuning problems caused by a combination of the nut, the string trees, and the trem itself. The nut and string trees can be easily fixed (or at least bettered) by making sure the slots aren't too tight and then using some graphite in the slots and on the string trees.

I'm confused as to why the nut and the string trees would de-tune the strings. Aren't they just there to guide the strings? I thought the tuning (tension) of the strings is solely based on the pegs and the bridge? Well, the truss rod too, but I'm not adjusting that.

• Members

I'm confused as to why the nut and the string trees would de-tune the strings. Aren't they just there to guide the strings? I thought the tuning (tension) of the strings is solely based on the pegs and the bridge? Well, the truss rod too, but I'm not adjusting that.

Most modern tuners, no matter how cheap they are, hold tuning just fine (they don't generally slip). The reason the nut and string trees cause problems is that nuts are often not cut very well, so the strings stick in the slots. When you use the whammy bar, the strings will loosen in the nut, and then stick slightly in the loosened position once you release the whammy bar.

It doesn't matter how good the tuners are if the nut is binding up the strings.

With string trees, it's just another place for the strings to catch.

If you've ever heard strings 'pinging' when you're tuning, it's because they are binding at the nut or string tree.

• Members

Most modern tuners, no matter how cheap they are, hold tuning just fine (they don't generally slip). The reason the nut and string trees cause problems is that nuts are often not cut very well, so the strings stick in the slots. When you use the whammy bar, the strings will loosen in the nut, and then stick slightly in the loosened position once you release the whammy bar.

It doesn't matter how good the tuners are if the nut is binding up the strings.

With string trees, it's just another place for the strings to catch.

If you've ever heard strings 'pinging' when you're tuning, it's because they are binding at the nut or string tree.

Interesting.. I've never thought about that. And I do hear pinging on my high E when I tune, but the other ones are ok.

Thanks for the info!

• Members

I would advice you not to put too much time, effort and money on a Behringer guitar. I've played two different ones and they were both pretty (very) hopeless. You'd have to change everything; pickups and electronics, bridge, nut and tuners, and possibly refret it. Add to that the fact that it's, IMO, pretty ugly (looks like a kid's guitar). Just my two cents.

Archived