Art Guitar/Tele build thread

datru

• Members

Great song!

About necks and pickups:

I was going to put it together with what I have for now but I'm certain that I will replace the neck. No harm in that, right?

I'd like to hear suggestions about necks and pickups. I really can't spend too much right now.

The Warmoth necks seem a little pricey. Maybe used Fender or even Squier? (if you have one for sale let me know.)

What pickups would be good for a classic Tele sound? I've heard good things around here about BG pickups.

Advice and suggestions?

BG pups are a great choice, check the lead time as it may take weeks to get your pups, worth the wait though. If you want the Fender Logo look for MIM necks on eBay they go for $80-$150 in mint condition, MIA is going to be three times as much.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is the best thread I've seen here in a while...

We've got Wall of Voodoo and Blasters references.

And one badass guitar taking shape.

Datru: keep this up and you'll be taking orders for commissioned guitars soon...

• Members

This is the best thread I've seen here in a while...

We've got Wall of Voodoo and Blasters references.

And one badass guitar taking shape.

Datru: keep this up and you'll be taking orders for commissioned guitars soon...

That sounds like fun!

Thanks again to everyone for all the kind words.

• Members

BG pups are a great choice, check the lead time as it may take weeks to get your pups, worth the wait though. If you want the Fender Logo look for MIM necks on eBay they go for $80-$150 in mint condition, MIA is going to be three times as much.

I don't know how I feel about the Fender logo. After all, it's not a Fender. I see a lot of Mighty Mite necks on ebay from sellers who say they've been leveled and dressed. What's the deal on those? They tend to be between 90 and 130 bucks.

• Members

Man that is awesome.

How do you start something like that? Template or freehand?

I sketch my ideas on paper, then work freehand on the piece. Rulers and compass came in handy on this one.

It makes it a little off-kilter doing it this way, which I like. I also like the accidents that happen (sometimes) and where they take you.

• Members

I don't know how I feel about the Fender logo. After all, it's not a Fender. I see a lot of Mighty Mite necks on ebay from sellers who say they've been leveled and dressed. What's the deal on those? They tend to be between 90 and 130 bucks.

Those MM necks level and dressed would be a great choice. Not MIA or Warmoth level but perfectly fine.

• Members

Datru, that is sick work. I did a bit of scratchboard work back in my art student days and I know how time consuming that {censored} is. 3 days of scratching can get quite tedious, you've got some serious patience. This makes me think that I really need to start doing some work- art is an awesome talent and I pretty much waste mine by not doing anything with it. I am currently doing a small mural for my 2nd child's nursery, but copying a frog/ pond scene from a children's bedding set to a wall isn't art- know what I mean. Again, really great work- from the concept all the way to the execution. BTW, I agree- this does not NEED a Fender logo sullying the work and artist. I would love to see you throw your signature logo from the back on the headstock as well. It's your work- claim that {censored} with pride!!

Lou

• Members

Okay, I've decided to post what I have.

Here it is, the "Border Blaster" -

ArtGuitar25.jpg

The artwork is sealed, but I still have to apply the poly. Once that's hard, I'll assemble and wire it.

For those who don't know, here's what a "border blaster" is:

(from Wikipedia)

"A border blaster is a licensed commercial radio station that transmits at very high power from one nation to another. Border Blasters should not be confused with international broadcast stations.

The term is perhaps most widely used in the United States of America to describe radio stations broadcasting from various Mexican cities near the border.

With broadcasting signals far more powerful than U.S. stations, the Mexican Border Blasters could be heard over large areas of the U.S. from the 1940s to the '70s, often to the great irritation of American radio stations, whose signals could be overpowered by their Mexican counterparts."

{censored}ing wow! That is the coolest tele body I have seen. Me personally, I would go buy a nice birdseye wormoth tele neck for that. It deserves a really nice neck.

• Members

Very cool art, love it!

... What pickups would be good for a classic Tele sound? I've heard good things around here about BG pickups. ...

BG's are always a great choice, top shelf pro level gear at a realistic price :thu:

• Members

Got it together today and wired it up!

ArtGuitar26.jpg

ArtGuitar27.jpg

ArtGuitar28.jpg

ArtGuitar29.jpg

ArtGuitar30.jpg

I'm very happy with how it turned out, especially given that it's my first build.

The pickups were 20 dollars and sound exactly like pickups that cost...20 dollars. I'm ordering a set of BG pickups today.

The neck is going to get replaced as well, with a Mighty Mite maple Tele neck. I really don't like the color of this one (much too orange) and I think a satin finish is the way to go. This neck has a couple of buzzy places, but I doubt I'll do much about that since I'm replacing it. Also, the traditional Tele headstock will be an improvement.

Overall, it worked out. The intonation is good and all the electrons seem to go where they should.

• Members

Sweetness! Good call on the MM neck. I have been very satisfied with mine. I would go with a rosewood board to keep the dark motif going, but that's just my preference. Enjoy! It looks amazing!

You're not the first person to suggest rosewood. I mocked it up in photoshop and the result wasn't as nice as the maple. The rosewood sort of clashed with the art more.

Plus, I like teles with maple. :)

• Members

Awesome guitar!!! I agree, maple all the way. Hey Datru- do you wanna sell that tele neck for a bit of a discount? If so let me know how much once you get the new neck.

Lou

Maybe, I'll let you know. I should have the new neck within a week.

Once again, thanks to all for the nice comments.

• Members

Got it together today and wired it up!

ArtGuitar26.jpg

ArtGuitar27.jpg

ArtGuitar28.jpg

ArtGuitar29.jpg

ArtGuitar30.jpg

I'm very happy with how it turned out, especially given that it's my first build.

The pickups were 20 dollars and sound exactly like pickups that cost...20 dollars. I'm ordering a set of BG pickups today.

The neck is going to get replaced as well, with a Mighty Mite maple Tele neck. I really don't like the color of this one (much too orange) and I think a satin finish is the way to go. This neck has a couple of buzzy places, but I doubt I'll do much about that since I'm replacing it. Also, the traditional Tele headstock will be an improvement.

Overall, it worked out. The intonation is good and all the electrons seem to go where they should.

AWESOME!!! I was going to reply, too bad the whole thing is "cheapened" in my opinion by the non tele headstock, and then I read you are going to replace the neck. The guitar will be perfect at that point!!!:thu:

Archived