Buckethead is proof that gimmicks work

Anson

• Members

See, I think he'd just be another anonymous shredder if it weren't for the bucket.

Yeah, it just shows how much of his music you've heard. It's not typical shred stuff, and he's done plenty of music that doesn't feature ripping guitar work. As for his actual playing, he's got a recognizable playing style, and a lot of licks that are considered typical of Buckethead.

Besides, I doubt that all those people who've collaborated with him would've done so unless they thought he could deliver musically.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This thead was right under this one. I give it as evidence to support my previous statement.
:lol::wave:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2405178

Anyone can learn to play a guitar. It's his compositional ideas that interest me, not his technique. When the guys in that thread can effortlessly release at least 5 albums a year of quality material, you'll have a point.

• Members

You know the same {censored} was said about EVH when he broke out in 78.

"Its all just gimmicks and No soul"

Same BS has been said about Rhoads,Malmsteen,Gilbert,etc.....

and now Buckethead.

Im not a fan at all of his look or some of his work(GnR) but his talent is really undebateable.

If you dont dig shredders thats cool but too say "not much talent" is just Stupid talk.

• Members

Anyone can learn to play a guitar. It's his compositional ideas that interest me, not his technique. When the guys in that thread can effortlessly release at least 5 albums a year of
quality material
, you'll have a point.

This is up for debate.

• Members

It most certainly is.

Different strokes and all that.

I would argue that that his 'gimmick', as you call it, turns off as many people as it attracts...otherwise you wouldn't be bringing this up...Sure, his name and get up attract attention. But there's plenty of steak along with the sizzle.

Exactly. I wrote the bloke off for years because of the image. Then one day I was randomly searching youtube for GNR vids and heard him play. I really don't see how the bucket could help his popularity.

• Members

Ummmm...despite his talent (I don't really know as I've never given him a good listen) anyone wearing any type of mask and/or pseudonym is the purest definition of using gimmicks to attract interest. But who cares?

Hate to burst anyone's bubble but a vast majority of rock/pop music is based on gimmicks, some (tatoos, scowls, dressed in black, scadily clad women) are more used and have become more subtle while others (masks, makeup, theatic stage shows) still cause many to raise an ebrow...

• Members

I would argue that that his 'gimmick', as you call it, turns off as many people as it attracts...otherwise you wouldn't be bringing this up.

Evidently he has a personality that feels more comfortable hiding behind a mask when he's in public. I don't really comprehend it, but if that's how he chooses to deal with it...that's his choice. He certainly picked an intriguing way to disguise himself.

Sure, his name and get up attract attention. But there's plenty of steak along with the sizzle.

Some people want the anonymity as well Daft Punk, Slipknot (ok bad example there) want to be able to walk down the street without getting hassled. And its a fair argument they have. Who wants a million photographs of the very moment you get pissed off with an annoying fan? I haven't seen a photo of buckethead's real face other than a black and white photo from a guitarmag 20 or so years ago. Who knows what he looks like now.

And honestly good for him for having a gimmick. It's helped him score gigs and get his name out there and that's all that matters. Better to be a gimmicky success than anonymous failure.

• Members

See, I think he'd just be another anonymous shredder if it weren't for the bucket.

I'm going to be perfectly candid here; if he didn't have a frickin bucket on his head and some nun-chucks I wouldn't know who the hell he is.

It's like this, not every famous guitarist is great and not every great guitarist is famous. In order for the two to be true it either takes the perfect storm scenario or something to make you stand out from the crowd. A goalie mask, KFC bucket, oversized guitar, rubber chicken, whatever else you can imagine is all a schtick and it works great.

Now if he didn't have the chops it'd be irrelevant, but if he didn't have the gimmicks we wouldn't hear the chops. And don't try to kid yourself into believing that you would.

• Members

I just want to know why he came about wearing the bucket, it looks bigtime stupid.

Kind of like wearing a jock for a hat.

"I had just seen Halloween IV", he recalls of a dark night in 1989, "and as soon

as it was over I went into a store across the street and said 'Do you have any

Michael Myers masks?' They had a white mask, which really wasn't like a

Michael Myers mask, but I liked it a lot. That night I was eating chicken out of

a bucket that my dad brought home. It wasn't a Kentucky Fried Chicken bucket

either. It said "Deli Chicken" on the outside. I was eating it, and I put the mask

on and then the bucket on my head. I went to the mirror. I just said

'Buckethead. That's Buckethead right there.' It was just one of those things.

After that, I wanted to be that thing all the time."

The combination of Buckethead the friendly ax murderer with Buckethead the

guitar wizard and robotic stage performer was practically instantaneous. "I

thought it made sense with the way I play", he explains. "I play all this weird

stuff, but if I just look like me, it isn't going to work. But, if I'm like this weird

freak..." If anything, Carroll feels that becoming Buckethead has allowed him to

express himself more freely than he would as unassuming Brian Carroll. "It

opened the door to endless possibilities", he concurs as fireworks erupt in the

Tomorrowland sky. "I can work anything into that character and make it totally

work: all the thing I love in my life, like Disney, Giant Robot, Texas Chainsaw.

Even though I'm wearing a mask and have a character, it's more real, more

about what I'm really like, because I'm too shy to let a lot of things out. Every

reason I became Buckethead and am Buckethead has to do with the way I live.

It's not because I thought it would be successful. I never use anything that isn't

part of what I really loved as a child or love right now."

http://qfg.info/misc/destroyallmonsters.txt

Interesting article that one.

• Members

Gee, I've never seen a rocker resort to a gimmick before. Other than Kiss, Pink Floyd's stage show, Paul Revere and the Raiders, Motley Crue, Gwar, Slipknot, the New York Dolls, half of all '80s bands .....

Haha.. Way to put it into perspective.. :thu:

Archived