Anyone had a job canvassing?

Phait

• Members

Did it work for the company? I got the job a week ago, and it's a blessing because

1. the manager is awesome, laid back, sense of humor, not a dick

2. the job is easy as far as the mechanics of it

3. 5 hours a day

4. it's been hard finding work

But, this is gonna require some major drive to keep. And since I am no longer a short-term thinker - one who would give up under the pressure of a job, with monetary goals in mind... I have to think long term, and ride it out. I'm moving to Arizona.

Doing the math, $7/hr, 5 hours a day, 5 days a week = $150/week. In a month its $750. In 2 months its $1500.

I need $5k to move out of state, so it'll take me 6 months - that's June/July/August/September/October/November

I pulled $300/wk in retail at 40 hours (8 hour shifts, 5 days/wk) - which would net me $1500 in a month, which would take me 3.3 months to make $5k.

And, that $150 is just the base pay, without any bonuses. Since eventually we have to get 1 lead per shift or we're not kept on the job. So me making money in 3 - 6 months will require me to get 5 appointments a week ($10 per appt) - and considering we hit up 142 houses Tuesday and not one of us 3 got a lead... I'm not sure the program is gonna work for their business. I guess it does for others, so we'll see. But maybe I should look out for other work... unless I can find some design work. At least with this job being only 5 hours/day I have most of the day available for design.

• Members

I have.

These situations, depending on product & other details, seem to work for the companies as a "fishing net" that pulls in potential customers that are then developed by telemarketers, etc.

The actual monetary benefits to the company come down the line when people buy their product(s); they make enough to pay for the operating costs. It's surprising when you consider the costs (& trust me, your hourly wage & bonuses are probably the least of those).

Reading your math for planned move, are you (I suspect somewhere you must be) considering that most of your income from this is not going to accumulate but will go for interim living expenses?

A tip: the main things I learned from my time doing that sort of work is that you have to keep 2 opposing ideas in mind. You must project to the potential customer that you're there to offer them an opportunity to improve their life, not just by your pitch but by your entire demeanor, while projecting the air that it's unimportant whether they sign up...a tricky balance.

You must also be instantly adaptable to any clues as to how you can best communicate specifically to them.

• Members

im moving to arizona for school and to relocate with my girlfriend, i was ther 10 years ago its nice. also my uncle suggested census too, ill look into that

check youtube anthonyjhoty window canvassing im on my internet tablet so its a bit of a pita to post without bluetooth keyboard

• Members

I was hired with no experience for 2 reasons:

1.) since I've never done sales (again we don't sell, we give free estimates - but its like sales), I don't have any thing programmed in my head, so a clean slate to learn. The other 2 hires have sales experience.

2.) canvassing gig is new for the company and in this area, so it's new to even my manager.

• Members

I had these two clowns canvassing my street for a remodeling company last week.

I happened to be playing baseball in the yard when they approached.

I was holding a large wooden bat.

They did not make a sale :evil:

• Members

So the job isn't so bad now. Apparently the 1-lead-a-day is what they push for, but as we go by points on performance, we need 8 points minimum month - which means, 8 appointments. I made my first last week, and my 2nd today.

My manager wants me to produce a Youtube commercial for the company and said I'd get royalties + some upfront. They have a guy who does copywriting and he made like $8,000 in commission on the literature customers saw if they bought (I think he gets 10%).. and their average sale is like $8500. So we haven't discussed how much I'd get, but I'd imagine at least 3 - 5%... so that much of $8500 is like, $255 - $425

MOAR MONEH FOR MEEEEEEEEE nyahahahah. This is all cause I showed him some of

• Members

If you don`t mind me asking (because maybe I missed it), what exactly are you selling? Considering you`re still at home and you don`t have any real responsibilities (at least none that we know of), you may want to consider becoming a real estate agent. Even though this market is not ideal, the reality is, if you are working a 40 hour week, you will eventually sell a house and that will most likely rake in more $$$ than cold calling which btw, you could also do selling real estate but if you`re showing houses and doing mailings, you`ll get some listings which again will lead to more $$$ than what you are doing now. Anyway, these cold calling tactics seem to not only irritate the hell out of people but how many calls lead to appointments which lead to sales and what percentage of that are you seeing? Just curious.

Whatever you do, don`t be one of these telemarketers who like to call me around dinner. Now I answer the phone and tell them to give me their home number so I can call them when they get home and are trying to eat dinner with their family. ;)

• Members

Oops thought I mentioned. THe company does window replacement, latest tech, only one in the state with it (so far at least). We don't sell, we setup appointments for free estimates/demos. Those free estimates lead to sales. Also we don't call, we go door to door with flyers and a little shpeil. I set one appointment today, and another last week. I'd say we average 200 - 300 houses if its 4 of us, if its 2 then 200 or less, maybe over. One of my coworkers set 4 appointments in a row. My manager has gotten some and the other coworker has gotten some.

I won't do selling, too much pressure - plus you don't usually have a base pay, something to fall back on in case you suck or fate hates you.

• Members

How do you get paid?

Multi level marketing (MLM) is a system of street workers (canvass), "managers", and sales. Supposedly, every upper level gets a cut of each lower level. It's a monumental scam from the 1990's, when companies would adverise for "managers" willing to build the business.

No malice towards you if you are getting what you need from the time vs. income of doing the canvass.

But if you think you are going to step through and be a "manager", I smell a rat.

• Members

Nah it's all legit. In fact we all have to apply to get solicitor license from the city, the company pays for it.

Base pay $7/hr, (going up to $8).

$10 per appointment set

bonuses of $25, $50, $75, $100 depending on if the estimate and demo is on same day, if the demo leads to a sale, if the estimate/demo/sale is on the same day, etc. We all accrue points because this is performance-based, they need you to have a minimum of 8 per month - that means, set 8 appointments. Whoever has 20 points first in a month gets bonus of $200.

Then, they do tradeshows/homeshows where a lot more sells (bonuses $) and they pay you $20/day for food or whatever and set you up in a hotel for a day or 2 (or 3 on the weekends).

Also when I say manager, I use it lightly. He just needs a canvass crew manager (like him - although he is in marketing dept. of the company) -- so someone who knows how to do the job, shows up and is dependable. I wouldn't be "the" manager. Anyway I've got a couple pay stubs and direct deposit sooooo...

• Members

That pay rate's actually kinda low for that sort of work (is the company you work for Air-Tite ?).

Perhaps that will work in your favor as to the down-pressure for appts.

As far as the commercial production, I suggest that you make sure that's a completely set deal, with a contract & separate from your hourly job. Too easy for that sort of thing to become something where they expect more than they share.

Archived