Guitarists the Strat Couldn't Do Without

• Members

Nice list. I gotta say, though, that cliche or not, SRV's sound is clearly strat based and his tone highlights a facet of the strat sound - that ballsy-overdriven-strat-w/-heavy-gauge-strings twang - that seems to me to be uniquely championed by him. Not the only practitioner, true, but the most recognizable of the lot, I think.

essential to the Strat? imo - yes.:thu:

• Members

Also, I don't think Dick Dale and a strat were necessarily made for eachother. At the time of his breakthrough song (well, his only good song imo) Misirlou, there wasn't much available in the surf genre as far as guitars were concerned that were built well... Most guitars can cop that deep, heavy tremolo with a large reverb tank like that anyways. At least, imo.

• Members

It'd be interesting to ask non-musicians, or at least non-guitar players, ho they most associate with that design - I think that would give us a much truer picture of its iconic nature and with whom it is most widely associated. That being thed case, SRV would fall off the map - at least, I don't know the position in the US, but here in the UK typically only guitar players who read guitar magazines have heard of him at all. I should think that the players that most folks in general over here would associate with the Strat sould be Hank Marvin, Clapton, and maybe Hendrix..... also Buddy Holly, but it seems to me Hank is better known here by some ways nowadays.

Despite the sig moels, Beck I more readily associate with the Esquier / Tele design....

• Members

I'd have to add SRV to essentia.

This.

I don't think I've ever seen a pic of SRV without a strat in hand...

Well ok a pic of him playing anything other than a strat. Album cover pics and such there's a couple with him and a random guitar.

• Members

Also, I don't think Dick Dale and a strat were necessarily made for eachother. At the time of his breakthrough song (well, his only good song imo) Misirlou, there wasn't much available in the surf genre as far as guitars were concerned that were built well... Most guitars can cop that deep, heavy tremolo with a large reverb tank like that anyways. At least, imo.

Misirlou came out in 62 the same year as Fender Jaguars and years after Jazzmaster 2 guitars other than strats popular for surf.

• Members

Interestingly enough, the offsets are considered to be THE guitar for surf. Strat guys are a (vocal) minority. (not including the Yamaha SGV/Mosrite crowds)

Not really. There was a poll over at surfguitar101 forum and the strat won handily. I was kind of surprised myself.

Archived