New Guitar Day: Pics of my Ibanez Talman (TC-530?)

ArKay

• Members

I'm not sure which model this is actually, I believe it to be a TC 530. Mine was made in 1993 in Japan.

It's a sweet little guitar, not too heavy and the pickups sound really nice and clean. The neck feels pretty small in my hands, but I can live with that. Tuners, pots and tremolo seem to be of decent quality. It has a few dings and I'm actually considering refinishing it in a light blue and giving it a white pearl pickguard. :) I'll also get rid of the black knobs the previous owner seems to have installed.

01.png

02.png

04.png05.png

Pickup.png

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

nice...they made a bunch of models...I shoulda got one when they were around, now they only show up used and prices are going up in Japan. I`d really like to get the model with the figured wood body... but your`s is a beauty too. Didn`t know they had Kent p`ups either. Good score.

• Members

Originally posted by zenbu

nice...they made a bunch of models...I shoulda got one when they were around, now they only show up used and prices are going up in Japan. I`d really like to get the model with the figured wood body... but your`s is a beauty too. Didn`t know they had Kent p`ups either. Good score.

Yup, they made them with different woods, tremolos and pickup configurations. They usually go for about $200-$300 in the US I think.

Those lipsticks are based on the Danelectro ones but are potted and sealed.

And thanks, men's pants :D

• Members

Lovely! The early MIJ resoncast models are, in my opinion, the coolest - I have one in a cream/blue burst. Interestingly (or not) the neck isn't actually birdseye maple - it's plain maple with the "figuring" burnt on, or so I have heard.

Here's mine:

newtalman.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by dot-dot-dot

Lovely! The early MIJ resoncast models are, in my opinion, the coolest - I have one in a cream/blue burst. Interestingly (or not) the neck isn't actually birdseye maple - it's plain maple with the "figuring" burnt on, or so I have heard.

Here's mine:

[see above]

This looks pretty cool, has a little more of that Danelectro vibe going :D And yeah, the neck doesn't look like birdseye, but interesting nontheless.

Quoted from the link I supplied above:

"The Resoncast on original Talmans was medium-density fiberboard (MDF), which took otherwise unusable bits of alder and mixed them with resin for a high-pressure compression. This material actually had a very "vintage" sound quality."

And thanks, mistersully :)

• Members

Originally posted by ArKay

"The Resoncast on original Talmans was medium-density fiberboard (MDF), which took otherwise unusable bits of alder and mixed them with resin for a high-pressure compression. This material actually had a very "vintage" sound quality."

It's interesting stuff - very dense and heavy, but thehuge soundchamber under the pickguard reduces that weight significantly and also makes for a really nice sound.

Anyways, excellent find!

• Members

Originally posted by dot-dot-dot

It's interesting stuff - very dense and heavy, but thehuge soundchamber under the pickguard reduces that weight significantly and also makes for a really nice sound.

Anyways, excellent find!

It's pretty resonant unplugged. I'm always tempted to get one of those every time I see a different model :D May not be the last Talman here ;)

Edit: There's a nice gallery on that page, too:

http://www.angelfire.com/md2/wrgaphardt/Talman_gallery.html/

• Members

Originally posted by atimoc

Haha, that white TC630 is mine, the guy I bought it from took that picture. How it ended up on that Angelfire site, I dunno.

The black one looks hot, nice score
:thu:

He seems to store any pic he can find :D I'm glad this page exists though, there's not much info on the Talmans on the net.

Thanks :thu: I like your white one better actually, but (eBay) beggars can't be choosers.

• Members

Originally posted by guitarcapo

I had a friend who sold one but then regretted it. It seemed to be a great guitar for lead playing.

I don't think I would ever sell this one, a lot of other gear would have to go first :D

• Members

Originally posted by blazingblake

Those look cool Reverend kind of took that idea and did well with it my Reverends body shape is very similar to that.

The (discontinued) Reverend Spy may have been inspired by it:

Sky.jpg

Thanks dimmypage :)

• Members

Originally posted by unistudent1980

Just as sidebar, were these supposed to be a "re-issue" of a Danelectro concept?

Apart from the lipstick pickups I don't see much which would suggest Danelectro. I think it's more of a Jazzmaster/Telecaster mix probably aimed at the surf-rock market.

Archived