New Guitar Day: Pics of my Ibanez Talman (TC-530?)

ArKay

• Members

Originally posted by ArKay

Apart from the lipstick pickups I don't see much which would suggest Danelectro. I think it's more of a Jazzmaster/Telecaster mix probably aimed at the surf-rock market.

The construction "resoncast" seems to be a take on the Masonit body of Dano's

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by unistudent1980

The construction "resoncast" seems to be a take on the Masonit body of Dano's

Only the first few models were made out of it, they switched to light ash, basswood, alder & agatis when they shifted production to Korea.

I don't know how resonate the masonite & plywood Dans are :)

• Members

Apart from the lipstick pickups I don't see much which would suggest Danelectro. I think it's more of a Jazzmaster/Telecaster mix probably aimed at the surf-rock market.

it was mostly marketed to grunge/alternate styles

here's the ad i remember. is that the guy from soundgarden?

march1355.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by peavey_impact

Very resonate actually. Those Talmans are very nice, i remember playing a sweet green sparkle one.

Was it the model with the hbs?

Interesting. Now I'm wondering whether it'll actually be possible to refinish it or not, the wood (or the resoncast) may fall apart? :D

• Members

Originally posted by onbongos

here's the ad i remember. is that the guy from soundgarden?

[see above]

Well, at the beginning of the 90s there seems to have been a surfmaster/lipstick craze? :)

Charvel Surfcaster from '91

charvel.jpg

Catalog cover (got no idea who that is, sorry):

94018.jpg

• Members

Well, at the beginning of the 90s there seems to have been a surfmaster/lipstick craze?
:)

Yeah there was. I think Chandler was 1st to come out with lipstick tubes that were strat mountable and it sorta grew from there. It goes along with the superstrat thing - there was a pent up demand for anything other than candy colored 24 fret pointy strat shaped guitars with floyd roses and hockey stick headstocks

No doubt surf guitarists picked up on those too (they were probably getting sick of their old Jaguars and Jazzmasters :D )

• Members

Yeah there was. I think Chandler was 1st to come out with lipstick tubes that were strat mountable and it sorta grew from there. It goes along with the superstrat thing - there was a pent up demand for
anything
other than candy colored 24 fret pointy strat shaped guitars with floyd roses and hockey stick headstocks

No doubt surf guitarists picked up on those too (they were probably getting sick of their old Jaguars and Jazzmasters
:D
)

Yeah, makes sense to me :) It's probably my favorite body shape, too.

• Members

And power-pop and the like - they were a response (as far as I could see) to the sudden growth in popularity of the Jazzmaster and Jag.

I coveted the Talman from the moment I first saw it in a catalogue.

• Members

Would be this one:

TC825_57_3.jpg

Nice one, too.
:wave:
Could be the model peavy tried?

Since you've just sold it you may still regret it later?

The one I played was a bright sparkly green with lipsticks and some sort of f-hole too, if i recall correctly.

• Members

Originally posted by peavey_impact

The one I played was a bright sparkly green with lipsticks and some sort of f-hole too, if i recall correctly.

Probably a TC 730 then, ""thinline semi-hollow, non-tremelo string-thru-body design"

TC730F_a2_3.jpg

• Members

Wow, lots of sweet guitars in this thread...

ArKay, you are the first person I've ever seen who actually puts one of these free give-away calendar from the chinese restaurant on a wall... :D

BTW, my Dano resonates a lot, sounds lively even unplugged!

• Members

Very cool acquisition in the Dano mode Arkay. Love the look and vibe of those Talmans. Actually, I've never even played anything with lipsticks in it, but I'd sure like to. My Dano guitar is a Telestar with minibuckers and other than the neck heavy feel, it's a monster.

• Members

Originally posted by RomanS

Wow, lots of sweet guitars in this thread...

ArKay, you are the first person I've ever seen who actually puts one of these free give-away calendar from the chinese restaurant on a wall...

BTW, my Dano resonates a lot, sounds lively even unplugged!

It looks better than the one you usually get from the drugstores over here, and you don't have to turn the page every month :D

You should see my other walls, plenty of Chinese ornaments :thu:

I want an old Danelectro, too. Their new stuff (cheap guitars on eBay with builtin distortion) are most likely not very good?

• Members

Originally posted by fretmonster

Very cool acquisition in the Dano mode Arkay. Love the look and vibe of those Talmans. Actually, I've never even played anything with lipsticks in it, but I'd sure like to. My Dano guitar is a Telestar with minibuckers and other than the neck heavy feel, it's a monster.

I've always liked the look of it and when I got the Schecter Banshee with the neck lipstick I knew I couldn't go wrong :D

This one isn't neck heavy at all. I don't have a good scale, the guitar is not that light but definitely lighter than most of my others. Could be the smaller body, too. The later models (MIK) also use different woods so those could be heavier.

• Members

Originally posted by warriorpoet

http://cgi.ebay.com/IBANEZ-TALMAN-TC825-SILVER-SPARKLE-BIGSBY-SUPER-58_W0QQitemZ170016530239QQihZ007QQcategoryZ33043QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

01_12.JPG

me wanty

There are usually a couple of models out there. That's a nice one, too!

I would have gotten this one if I could have found it here in Germany (you have more choices over there):

d5_12.JPG

or this:

ec_1.JPG

This one for $300 BIN:

c2_1.JPG

or this ($200 current):

i

Archived