Value of wired Abigail Ybarra pickup set?

metal0822

• Members

I got a trade deal on a craigslist ad for a set of these pickups...

"Let me know what you think. By the way, reading your ad again, I noted you are looking for Strat parts. I have a fully loaded strat pickguard with pickups wound by Abigail Ybarra (she's been winding pickups at the Fender custom shop since the 50's) that I would trade even up for your cabinet if you like. (I originally got the pickguard to put into a Japanese Strat I came across, however, it turned out I never got around to putting it in. Sometimes keeping things original gives them a voice of their own over time.) "

So what would their value be on here or ebay? I want to know if I would be getting a good deal here. Thanks guys.

• Members

Well, if you don't have more details, I wouldn't plan on them bringing much more than $250. No references to dates on the pickups?

But I've seen weirder things happen on ebay. I usually mark the insane-ly priced vintage items to see if they actually sell. Some of them do so who know.

But I'd really ask for all the markings on the backs of the pickups. Or have him send you a good picture of the backs of them. Might be WELL worth your time.

• Members
When were these wound?

The way I understand it is she really doesnt wind them any more. She just comes in to sign the pickups.

But if its an old set she did wind, they probably are worth several hun.

Do you know when she quit winding them? I have a set of CS '69s that came in a 2006 Classic Player '60s and am hoping they are the real McAbbys. They are initialed and dated by her.

• Members

From what I've read,if they are initialed she just checked them,like an inspector13.

The ones she's wound were fully signed.

I don't know when she retired,nor do I care.

I think this is really a case of someone in marketing,taking advantage of a myth and helping it snowball into something that is really bigger than it is.

When it comes down to it,she was a woman working in factory,using a machine.

Just like so many other factory jobs(that guys around here dump on.)

• Members

I did a little research and it appears that the Custom Shop Masterwound pickups were wound and signed by Abby Ybarra, "Abby." They came with a certificate of authenticity and were available in the early 00's. Only 300 sets were made.

The others that bear her initials may or may not have been wound by AY, but they are the standard 69's that you see with the initials and date.

The former went for >$400 while the latter were available at the same time for $130.

• Members

AY never wound the normal CS '69's, they were always team-wound, but the fact that she signs them had a lot of people confused.

She did wind a run of "Masterwounds" (like the "Master-Build" CS Fenders that are all built by one person) that were sold aftermarket. And she did (does) wind some for certain CS Masterbuilt models.

I can't remember if the Jimi signature model (the one with the mirror logo) used Masterwound '69's or not, but that was right around the time they introduced the PU and made a big deal of the AY-wound '69's.

• 7 months later...

Archived