Is it good to have a back up plan?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Since age 12 ive wanted to be a musician.. for the rest of my life.

Now that i'm 19... i'm in collegee. going on the second year for IT work.. In a band.. just getting started. But let's face reality the odds of making it "big" or making enough money to make a living off of music are pretty slim. But it is still what I dream of and want to do. Has anyone faced the decision to drop out of college to get a job and to spend time on their instrument and band work rather than going to school? I believe its good to have IT as a back up plan.. but sometimes its all or nothing. Of course if we were going to hit the road and tour and such i would drop out in a heart beat.. but still. i dont think i could ever be happy not playing music for the rest of my life. i guess there comes a time when ill get older and say "eff it" ive thought about switching majors to something musical.. but its not so much i want to be have a job in music.. just be a musician. plus im scared on wasting all this money because i have a change of heart in majors.

anyone ever in my shoes?

Yes, I've been in those shoes before! At 23, I decided to quit college to focus more on my music career. I've had a few misfortunes with a couple of band breakups, minor set-backs (due to a lack of music business sense),etc.

However, I don't regret my decision. It's been a tough road but I've learned alot about myself and the music world. My day job isn't ideal but it's flexible and allows me to make music. Besides paying bills, I don't have any major domestic obligations (no girlfriend, kids, crazy partying habits) Honestly, it's all subjective. Do what you love to do. College was a waste of time for me cause I didnt see a career that would satisfy me. Maybe I'll have a change of heart later on but right now...it's all about the MUSIC! Everyone here has posted valid points but I have to agree with TIMROCKER: "f you have something to fall back on, that's what you're really doing, and what you're really going to get for a result. If you are actually going to do anything, you need it to be one thing"

• Members

Great post and lots of great insights. Like many here, I had similar proclivities but had to face reality and decided to stay in the rat race. Enjoying somehing and having natural God-given talent are two different things. I have very little regrets because honestly, I see tons of guys/gals with way more talent that did not get the brass ring and gave it up altogether. I still play music every day and found a great career outside of music doing what comes naturally to me. In some ways, music has turned into something I cherish and appreciate more so than if I'd tried it as a full-time gig. My only add ons to the other great advice: Know yourself and follow what comes easy to you. I have met only one or two very gifted players in in my life that I thought were talented enough and "together" to suggest they pursue it full time.

• Members

Yes, and the reality is, the bands that are good enough to go 'all the way' with the right songs and the right personnel are very few.

I disagree with that. There are TONS of bands out there that are plenty good enough that will never see the light of day. It has nothing to do with talent and everything to with luck.

• Members

Go to school and have a backup plan. I wanted to be a big rock star...I did decent but not that well. Now I use my education everyday. I am the lead instructor for Business & IT for a small college. I also use my knowledge to run a recording studio and record label. I am happy and I still get to have fun with my band.

• Members

I disagree with that. There are TONS of bands out there that are plenty good enough that will never see the light of day. It has nothing to do with talent and everything to with luck.

There is some truth to that, I'll concede. But there are also many, many more crap bands in the marketplace that 15 years ago never would have seen the light of day, either.

And by the way, I have said here many times that having the right songs, the right personnel, in the right place at the right time in front of the right people is largely a matter of luck. I disagree that it has nothing to do with talent and everything to do with luck, however. Some bands will never make it no matter how many opportunities they luck into if they can't deliver the goods.

• Members

btw, always have a back up plan, but those times you have making music, with friends, may damn well be the best moments of your life. Most people get married, or have a kid, but only a select few know what it's like to rock a stage and own the crowd.

best of luck.:thu:

• Members

I mean no disrespect, but I've been on stage rocking a crowd, and I've been in the delivery room when my daughter was born, and to even compare them is laughable. There are times in your life that are a lot of fun, and there are times in your life that stand out as being the most important moments you'll ever have, and there's a huge difference.

Music is entertainment and it's a great way to express your creativity, and it's fun and it's "play." It's important. But it's not in the same universe as being a parent.

I know that's not what amnosis meant at all. I'm just saying that we sometimes hold music up much higher than it really deserves.

Only a select few DO know what it's like, and that's definitely true and I agree. I also agree that only a select few know what it's like to catch a game winning touchdown pass in front of thousands of people. I don't know what that's like, but I'd love to know. And that's never going to happen for me. :) But I'm OK with that.

• Members

I mean no disrespect, but I've been on stage rocking a crowd, and I've been in the delivery room when my daughter was born, and to even compare them is laughable. There are times in your life that are a lot of fun, and there are times in your life that stand out as being the most important moments you'll ever have, and there's a huge difference.

Music is entertainment and it's a great way to express your creativity, and it's fun and it's "play." It's important. But it's not in the same universe as being a parent.

I know that's not what amnosis meant at all. I'm just saying that we sometimes hold music up much higher than it really deserves.

Only a select few DO know what it's like, and that's definitely true and I agree. I also agree that only a select few know what it's like to catch a game winning touchdown pass in front of thousands of people. I don't know what that's like, but I'd love to know. And that's never going to happen for me.
:)
But I'm OK with that.

Are you sure we're not related? :eek:;):cool:

• Members

I went to a Bass Guitar clinic many many years ago given by a dude named Stu Hamm, and someone asked him this question. He said that all a 'backup plan' does is lead you down the path to failure. He argued that if you dont dedicate every moment and ounce of work to your craft, you shouldnt bother, that there should be no exit plan.

I see his point, but I think it also depends on what your goals are with music. Music can always be a part of your life, and you can control how large or little it is. I think its also really important to honestly ask yourself, why you are into playing music. Is it for the social benefits? Is it for adulation? To make money? To get acceptance? For just the fun of playing? A creative outlet by writing?

I think the answers to these questions lead to different paths. I recommend getting as much education as possible.

• Members

I went to a Bass Guitar clinic many many years ago given by a dude named Stu Hamm, and someone asked him this question. He said that all a 'backup plan' does is lead you down the path to failure. He argued that if you dont dedicate every moment and ounce of work to your craft, you shouldnt bother, that there should be no exit plan.

That would be fine if half the variables that the music business is subject to were controllable, but they aren't. Setting out in the music business with no backup plan is like taking off across the desert (when you have no idea how big it is) with no water or extra fuel, relying on reaching a town before you run out. Do or die, so to speak.

To me, preparing for a different outcome isn't failure, it's being smart, since less than 1% of all musicians who set out to become successful enough to make even a middle class living at it don't.

• Members

That would be fine if half the variables that the music business is subject to were controllable, but they aren't. Setting out in the music business with no backup plan is like taking off across the desert (when you have no idea how big it is) with no water or extra fuel, relying on reaching a town before you run out. Do or die, so to speak.

To me, preparing for a different outcome isn't failure, it's being smart, since less than 1% of all musicians who set out to become successful enough to make even a middle class living at it don't.

I agree with your perspective, I went to college and lawschool and dont regret it in the least. However, his advice was from someone who 'made it' essentially. ie completely supports himself musically and achieved a fair degree of success on an international level. I doubt there are very few on this board who have achieved that level of success musically, and I think that for those that have not, its human nature to justify the decision making process behind their own paths as being prudent.

There is value behind the idea of completely throwing yourself at something entirely, with every waking minute. I believe that Hamm's advice is/would be much more prevalent among those who 'made it', as one is more likely to find success in a given area the more they work at it, and the longer they try.

Im not espousing people pursue the all or nothing, but I think its not an unrealistic proposition that if you really want something, the more time and energy you spend pursuing it, the more likely you are in attaining it. Having the 'backup plan' requires in most cases, much much more than a small amount of time and energy. It usually means taking music and making it a hobby as opposed to the focus of each and every day.

• Members

Well, here's what I did:

Was seriously into music in high school, bought some gear, started fooling around with sounds & beats n whatnot, went to University, got a bachelor's degree, worked in an investment bank, made decent money, constructed me a home studio, all through this spent countless nights honing my craft, after 7 years of soulless midnnumbing banking crap, got the f%#k out and now I sell instruments in a music shop!! :) My salary dropped by 70 % but my emotional capital went up ten fold. I know what it's like to be well off, have money to travel, to buy s#¤t, nice clothes blah blah.....now that I'm poor, yes, my annual salary barely tops 20 grand, I'm happy....I've got more free time, I don't have to wear no clown ass suit, remember, I already HAVE my studio, so I can play and record and mix for the rest of my life.....obviously I'm still dead set on making it a career as well!!! Plus, I still got my degree and experience, so I can always get another office job, but I don't ever, ever again see myself doing that, it sux!!

Right now I'm spending 90% of my free time making music, and if it takes me 20 more years, I'll make it, 'cos you just can't keep me down, you knowhaddamsayin'??
But the bottom line is, if you DON'T give it your absolute all, you'll NEVER get all! You gotta have some talent, you gotta work your ass off and you gotta know some people. After this, you gotta work a bit harder and then work more and with a little luck, things'll get rolling.

If you have a dream, don't you dare give up on it 'cos you'll hate yourself for it later. Better to go for the gold and fall on your ass than to just fall on your ass! Err...:freak::freak:

• Members
Well, here's what I did:

But the bottom line is, if you DON'T give it your absolute all, you'll NEVER get all! You gotta have some talent, you gotta work your ass off and you gotta know some people. After this, you gotta work a bit harder and then work more and with a little luck, things'll get rolling.

If you have a dream, don't you dare give up on it 'cos you'll hate yourself for it later. Better to go for the gold and fall on your ass than to just fall on your ass! Err...
:freak:
:freak:

I do not agree to a small degree. I gave what I could...I have a good job, good pay, and a studio.....I am very happy and I spend many hours in the studio every week. I had a backup plan and it paid off, I was able to link it to my music dreams....consider linking your education/profession to your music dreams.

"If you have a dream, don't you dare give up on it 'cos you'll hate yourself for it later"
Now that line I agree with 100%

• Members

I touched on this topic recently on my blog.

For some reason, everyone always looks at a back up plan as an impediment to achieving a musical goal and I don't see it that way. Hope for the best and expect the worst. A back up plan doesn't always mean giving up your dreams either. It could very well mean changing the method you use to achieve your goal. I think the problem with many musicians is not whether or not they should have a backup plan; it's whether they have a plan at all.

• Members

To some degree, it's always good to follow your "dream" be it music, acting, banking, or whatever...

But yes, have a backup plan. Does that necessarily entail a 4 year degree? I wouldn't think so. I believe it's irresponsible to push young people into college, especially when some of them (probably about half of them) just don't belong there. Argue what you will, but I've done my time at a major University and can say that there were many, many dumbasses that should have gone straight to vo-tech, instead of wasting 2-3 semesters figuring it out the hard way.

Sure, some musicians fall into this category. We all know that. Instead of learning how to calculate a profit curve and points of intersection, learn how to turn some wrenches, or make a really good drink. If you're committed to a life of music, at least these skills will help you more in landing a day job.

Archived