How does a Superchamp XD sound with a 12" speaker?

ILikeGuitar

• Members

I really like my superchamp for practicing and stuff because it's so small and versatile. It sounds pretty good but for some reason the clean doesn't have that Fender sparkle... Mine is completely stock right now.

When you play a DRRI or higher end Fender tube amp, you get that signature Fender clean.

Would the clean tone improve a lot if I played it through a cab with a bigger and better speaker? Or is the kind of dull clean tone just because of the digital modeling?

• Members

I agree and that's why I sold mine. If you like that real Fender clean on a budget and don't need all the digital models and effects look for a Champ 25. It's a 2 x 6L6 1 x 12" hybrid from the early 90's that has REAL Fender cleans and tons of sparkle. It so crushes the SCXD in that department.

Like this one (not mine)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Champ-25-SE-Tube-Amp_W0QQitemZ290346288940QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4399fcc72c&_trksid=p4999.c0.m14

• Members

I run my SCXD through a 2x12 to get a little bigger sound, and I am very happy with the cleans. You might try running an EQ in front of it to give you a little more room to tweak than the two tone knobs give.

You really have to, depending on what pickups you use, adjust the treble and bass to dial it in.

• Members

I run my SCXD through a 2x12 to get a little bigger sound, and I am very happy with the cleans. You might try running an EQ in front of it to give you a little more room to tweak than the two tone knobs give.

You really have to, depending on what pickups you use, adjust the treble and bass to dial it in.

Same here.....I always have a BBE Sonic Stomp or EQ in front. Great gigging amp with a bigger cab; the clubs I play I usually can't get above 5. I use the clean channel exclusively with dirt pedal du jour in front. Definitely need the EQ though....helps tune it to the room.

• Members

the lace of a mid knob is my only beef w/ this amp. And rather than running it through a 12" you might want to consider upgrading to a better 10". The stock speaker in there is kinda so-so.

The usual suspects for the SC XD are: Eminence Rajin' Cajun, Jensen CQ10, and Eminence Copperhead, pretty much in that order. If it's the Fender clean that you're after though I'd go w/ the Jenny.

• Members

I don't know.. there is definitely an EQ issue so I think an EQ would help.

Would changing tubes and speaker really give it the signature Fender clean that I don't hear from it stock?

Maybe I should just get a DRRI.. but I don't have the $$ or space.

So either upgrade the 10" speaker and tubes or buy a small 1x12 cab

• Members

So is it the actual speaker, or the size of the speaker?

It just sounds harsh, dull and "small?" if I have it turned up and on a clean setting

And how much of a difference does a tube change make? If I should change tubes, which ones should I change to?

Edit: I just checked and mine has 2 6v6EH and a 12AX7EH Electroharmonix tubes

• Members

So is it the actual speaker, or the size of the speaker?

It just sounds harsh, dull and "small?" if I have it turned up and on a clean setting

And how much of a difference does a tube change make? If I should change tubes, which ones should I change to?

these scXD amps have been out for at least a couple years, over that time Fender has shipped them with 2 different types of tubes.

There are some supposedly very cheep Chinese tubes that got shipped in some of them, and the rest were shipped with electro harmonix tubes (mine has the EH). I'm sure these EH are not the best tubes in the world, but again, I think the clean is pretty good. You might take a look and if you don't have the EH tubes then that seems like a good place to start.

• Members

these scXD amps have been out for at least a couple years, over that time Fender has shipped them with 2 different types of tubes.

There are some supposedly very cheep Chinese tubes that got shipped in some of them, and the rest were shipped with electro harmonix tubes. I'm sure these EH are not the best tubes in the world, but again, I think the clean is pretty good. You might take a look and if you don't have the EH tubes then that seems like a good place to start.

In my experience (I have the EH tubes) it opened up when I swapped the 12AX7 for a JJ ECC83S. I still have the EH (no need IMO to swap them)

I found that the speaker swap did not change the overall "Fender tone", but rounded everything out

• Members

You will probably get more mileage out of a preamp tube swap, IMHO. If you are just playing at home swapping the 10" speaker for something else will be better than the stock 10" speaker, but running it through a decent 12" (or two or four by twelve) will give you closer to what you are looking for.

• Members

I play mine stock, and I'm happy with it.

Then again, I'm not a fan of the "Fender Sparkle". I use a Peavey C-30 as my main gigging amp for the same reason. Very Fender-like quality and voicing, but not as glassy-sounding as similar Fenders.

• Members

Just in case you wanted to know every tiny detail possible on the SCXD:

Interesting. Seems like the consensus in that thread is that these come with Grove Tubes and not Electro Harmonix. Mine is EH anyway, I wonder if mine is the odd ball, I'm growing to quite like it anyway. And the stock speaker, now that it is broken in, sounds good too.

• Members

In my experience (I have the EH tubes) it opened up when I swapped the 12AX7 for a JJ ECC83S. I still have the EH (no need IMO to swap them)

I found that the speaker swap did not change the overall "Fender tone", but rounded everything out

Self-correction - I do have GTs

• Members

Since you have both, aside from volume, can you hear much difference between them?

I like the VC better sound-wise. I think it sounds more natural when just using the volume knob and nothing else. The SC is more practical for gigs, especially with the footswitch, but a single channel amp like the VC in the 20 watts neighborhood would be awesome.

Archived