Big intonation problems! Help!

Blackhell

• Members

Okay, I just noticed that my LP's high E and B strings are way out of tune on the 12th fret. I adjusted the intonation saddles and it doesn't do jack. The high E is way sharp, and the B is way flat. The intonation is really out. I adjusted them all the way up and all the way back, and it didn't do anything. What's the problem? Bad bridge? It only became this bad in the past week or so.

• Members

Ok -first measure the distance from your 12th fret to to point where the string first contacts the nut. Should be 12 and 3/8ths inches. Next measure the distance from the 12 fret to the saddle on the D string and this should be aproximately 12 and 3/8ths". Depending on the gauge of strings this is a medium point and can vary +- 1/8 ". I advise measuring it then adjusting with a digital tuner from there. Turn down the volume pot when doing intonation for more accuracy. Hi output will cause more oscillations making it harder to read. If the bridge is too high or low it will also throw off the intonation . If you put on really heavy stings it will also ruin intonation.

• Members

Walk away from the guitar and try again later. The amount of pressure you use on the strings is MORE than enough to duplicate the problem you are having.

If you are only tuning the open harmonic, then try a different tuner. Yours may be taking fits. I've seen it happen. Two different tuners showing entirely different readings at the same time.

A strobe tuner would be best, if you have access to one.

• Members

Yeah, I just put a new E string on the other night. I haven't dropped the guitar at all recently either. I have a 20 dollor gift card to GC, so I'll take it up there in a week or two and have the tech at GC set-up and put new strings on it, intonation and the whole 9 yards. It kinda sucks since I just learned 'Runnin' With the Devil':cry:.

Unfortunatly, I have no access to a strobe tuner. How much and how good are GC's set-ups?

• Members

well....that depends on the GC yer going to...AND how well you know the guys there.....if i took my axe in to my local GC....i'd get a major job done...but i'm friends with most of them....

as far as $$...figure on about 40 bucks or there abouts....especially if you have some sort of issue that is not a straight up string change/intonation job.....just sayin' :wave:

• Members

well....that depends on the GC yer going to...AND how well you know the guys there.....if i took my axe in to my local GC....i'd get a major job done...but i'm friends with most of them....

as far as $$...figure on about 40 bucks or there abouts....especially if you have some sort of issue that is not a straight up string change/intonation job.....just sayin'
:wave:

Hell, I'm lucky if I've been to any GC's 5 times.:lol: The closest GC is probably a half hour drive. I don't really know any of the workers there, either.

• Members

Hell, I'm lucky if I've been to any GC's 5 times.
:lol:
The closest GC is probably a half hour drive. I don't really know any of the workers there, either.

well then....you might be ok.....you'd have problems if you were in there all the time wanking away and never buying anything....if they don't know you, particularly....then they'll prolly do a decent job....but it's still gonna cost 40 to 50.....including new strings....and they WILL NOT do an intonation job with out putting on new strings...

Archived