What would you use to clean sticker residue off a guitar neck?

Charliemills

• Members

Someone posted a thread about the uses of WD-40 in Guitar Jam. One application was to clean sticker gunk off guitars. Someone said that would work fine if you don't have a nitro finish.

What would you personally use? I have a rather old gibson that had a sticker on the neck. I took the sticker off and it has a nice patch of gunk. I want to clean it up without damaging the finish on the neck (it's a bit checked).

• Members

Hope Depot- next to the paint thinners, a spray can of Gunk Off- spray a little on a rag and rub it off no problem. Plus that stuff has come in handy more that I can count. Barcode stickers, any sort of adhesive residue, i used it to clean off some window tint glue on my car.

• Members

Never tried it on nitro, but on other surfaces I've had good experience with meths. About fifteen years ago when I worked in a hardware store as a student, we sold several purpose-designed products that were designed to remove sticky, all of then effective. Don'rt know about nitro there either, though. Maybe the old 'try on an inconspicuous area first' applies?

• Members

Naphtha.

As noted, Zippo or Ronsonol light fluids are merely naphtha.

No lingering foul odor like Goo-B-Gone, which uses naptha as at least one of its active ingredients anyway, IIRC.

And no oily residue to clean up like WD-40 or baby oil.

Naphtha works great, is recommend by companies like Gibson, and will evaporate quickly.

• Members

I usually use ordinary paint thinner. Because it does evaporate very slowly it will stay long enough to soften up most adhesive. It won't hurt most fully cured finishes in the short term. Down side is, because it evaporates slowly it will hang around, and it's smelly. I always go back and do a final cleanup with alcohol, naphtha, etc., to get the paint thinner off. I would test anything that I wasn't sure of in some obscure place.

edit: WD-40 is a good cleaner for bare metal. Not sure I'd use in on a wood finish. Very slow evaporation, and it "creeps" or spreads forever, if you don't get it off.

Archived