NGD --- Yammie SHB400 ... any idea what kind of wood?

Gravity

• Members

DSCF1704.jpg

DSCF1705.jpg

DSCF1707.jpg

DSCF1709.jpg

DSCF1710.jpg

DSCF1711.jpg

Awesome guitar.

-Plays very easily with very little buzz

-Frets are in very good shape.

-body and neck are in very good shape (tiny bit of buckle on the back )

-just feels super solid ... more than enough sustain

There's a push-push tone pot that splits both pickups

I need to dial the pickups in a bit, but they're original and they sound good.

when I first looked at it in the shop, I thought that it might be a neck-thru ... but I believe it's a set two-piece neck with a three-piece body ... (edit: it's four piece)

$300 out the door and I left a neglected Ibanez RG 470 in the shop on consignment.

So does anyone know what type of wood this axe is made from? I don't know how to tell.

• Members

It's stamped "Made in Japan" on the back of the headstock.

Did warmoth have a Japan facility in the early 80's? What's the story? If you know it, I'm curious.

I did find on an old and completed ebay listing where someone listed it as alder ... so there's two alder descriptions ... I bet that's it then. Thank you.

I'm a big fan of naturals too ... this axe just spoke to me hanging there on the wall with it's funky-carl-thompson-like upper horn, gibby-esque headstock, and beautifully designed bridge/tailpiece.

Unplugged, it has a wonderful acoustic tone ... very balanced and articulate.

It's light, maybe a tad heavier than my faded SG, but .. it's hard to explain, it's probably the most solid feeling guitar I've ever owned. When I first took hold of it ... didn't even strum it, I could feel just how solid it was and knew that it was of above average construction. Playing it only then told me what I already knew.

I'm really stoked about this acquisition.

• Members

Good old Yamaha guitarchive! http://www.yamaha.com/apps/guitararchives/guitarchive2.asp

SPECIFICATIONS:

SHB400

Year(s) Sold: 1982-83

Original MSRP(US$): $450.00

Neck: Maple

Fingerboard: Rosewood

Bridge: Adjustable

Color(s): Natural, Chestnut

String Length: 628mm

Electronics: 2 Vol, 2 Tone, Coil Split

Doesn't ID body wood, though. I bet one of the other Yamahalics will have an answer for you. Looks all maple to me.

• Members

It's stamped "Made in Japan" on the back of the headstock.

Did warmoth have a Japan facility in the early 80's? What's the story? If you know it, I'm curious.

I did find on an old and completed ebay listing where someone listed it as alder ... so there's two alder descriptions ... I bet that's it then. Thank you.

I'm a big fan of naturals too ... this axe just spoke to me hanging there on the wall with it's funky-carl-thompson-like upper horn, gibby-esque headstock, and beautifully designed bridge/tailpiece.

Unplugged, it has a wonderful acoustic tone ... very balanced and articulate.

It's light, maybe a tad heavier than my faded SG, but .. it's hard to explain, it's probably the most solid feeling guitar I've ever owned. When I first took hold of it ... didn't even strum it, I could feel just how solid it was and knew that it was of above average construction. Playing it only then told me what I already knew.

I'm really stoked about this acquisition.

The bodies and necks were were made at Warmoth then shipped to Japan. The pickups were DiMarzzios. The body was a combination of alder and ash or just alder or ash depending on which one you had. Mine was one of the alder/ash combos. It was a great guitar.:thu: they sold for$350 back in 81.

• Members

then there should be some kind of Warmoth ID marks somewhere, the USA II and Pacifica 10th anniversary I have both have the Warmoth stamps on the necks and bodies...mine came later though. easy enough to check the underside of the p`ups. perhaps a Warmoth mark under the p`ups?

• Members

All the other guitars of that body type (SF series in japan) that I've seen have been alder, alder and maple, or maple/mahogany for the top of the line.

Based on that, I'd say alder.

Also- Warmoth has never had a factory in Japan. I don't think they were even around when this guitar was built.

So, yeah. Probably not warmoth, and probably alder.

• Members

All the other guitars of that body type (SF series in japan) that I've seen have been alder, alder and maple, or maple/mahogany for the top of the line.

Based on that, I'd say alder.

Also- Warmoth has never had a factory in Japan. I don't think they were even around when this guitar was built.

So, yeah. Probably not warmoth, and probably alder.

If you read my post I said the bodies were made in the USA and shipped to Japan:poke: They also made these guitars for 3 years using different woods and combinations of woods.

• Members

Warmoth and Yamaha have been doing very nice things together but I thought more in the bolt-on side of the sortiment. In any case, "Made in Japan" speaks a lot for any Yamaha and i'm not surprised the OP says it feels very solid. I love the simplicity of it, yet the quality is obvious. The volute and headstock shape is the same as my SA2200. Beautiful guitar. :thu:

• Members

theres a real nice SF-7000 neck through at a local pawn type place, but the shop staff just don`t seem to be catching on that at $1000.oo it`s been over priced for more than a year. I`m waiting for them to drop the price but I guess they`d rather keep it hanging around than sell it. Plus...it`s had the truss rod changed. What can I say...this ain`t Tokyo eh.

Same body shape as the one in this thread, basically it`s got the same features as the SG-2000 minus the binding.

Archived