anyone tried a "high end" agile? ($500+)

twotimingpete

• Members

dont want to really jump in here, but it has been known for years that chinese metallurgy is far inferior to other countries. so at least when it comes to metal parts, a screw is not a screw is not a screw....

think of how many screw heads you have stripped in the last 10-15yrs on various consumer goods.... now think of how many screw heads you've stripped back in the 70's and 80's?

you can put a dent in lots of chinese metal just by tapping on it lightly with a rigid object. i have a cotter pin on one of my light trusses that has a 1/64" dent in it just from it supporting a
how does this pertain to this discussion? i'm just offering an argument that asian guitar hardware is not necessarily the same as, say, something made of higher quality metals such as callaham, PRS, etc hardware.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thing is, Chinese isn't Chinese anymore. My Squier CV's while being Chinese are nothing like the cheap pot metal from the past. Plus I think most if not all Agile's are from Korea. My Epi '56 is from there.

Quality wise my Epi and my Chinese Squiers are on par. I don't think you really can distinguish by country any more, only by product or possibly by factory.

• Members
I posted that pic, in defense of cheaper guitars. Im not bagging on Agiles. I was saying that the wood in that 350 squier looks spot on for the wood you would see in an American Standard. By looking at the grain patterns you can tell a bit about the quality of the wood, not necessarily the tone, but I own one so I can attest to the quality. I'm on your side
:)

:confused:

wooooops. For some reason in my head I thought that "you know who" had posted it. And I was like WTF?!?!?! Since you quoted me, I can't correct my post and hide my stupidity.

I'm sorry... :cry: Your post/pic was dead on.

-Mc

• Members

how does this pertain to this discussion? i'm just offering an argument that asian guitar hardware is not necessarily the same as, say, something made of higher quality metals such as callaham, PRS, etc hardware.

this thread is not on chinese guitars, its on high end agiles.

duncan and emg pickups, grover tuners, tone pros bridges, alpha pots, daddarios strings are the same whether they are installed in the US or Korea.

• Members

duncan and emg pickups, grover tuners, tone pros bridges, alpha pots, daddarios strings are the same whether they are installed in the US or Korea.

but it was not too long ago that the Koreans stuff was thought to be junk, same with Japan and mexico. Give it enough time and people will be saying, "don't buy that zimbabwe made junk, you should get a MIC, they are so much better."

• Members

right because its highly unlikely that asian companies would ever think about counterfeiting anything.

• Members

right because its highly unlikely that asian companies would ever think about counterfeiting anything.

yes, it actually is.

it is alot MORE likely for an american company to pull something like that.

.....unless you have some proof that rondo is using counterfit gear on their guitars?

• Members

I don't know if any of you remember when Rondo first introduced the top of the line stuff... The original listing of the PS-4000's listed them with Seymour Duncan pickups. Turns out that the Blue one didn't have SD's. Kurt changed the description when *HE* discovered it, which was before any shipped out. He also lowered the price to be cheaper than the Red PS-4000 which did have actual SD's. Had he not changed it (like most online companies would have done), I doubt anyone would have known any different.

I'm not saying all Asian importers are that honest or fact finding, but Kurt is and has a reputation of great customer service. Argue all you want about Chinese this or Chinese that. The post is about high end Agile's and many of us on here have them.

-Mc

• Members

yes, it actually is.

it is alot MORE likely for an american company to pull something like that.

.....unless you have some proof that rondo is using counterfit gear on their guitars?

alright, this made me laugh more than the whole "if you think American guitars are better it is because of nationalism" thing.

I am not going to knock Agile guitars or anything else. Enough people here play them and like them. However you don't need to get so defensive when people prefer something else.

• Members

There's a difference between a gearsnob and a realist.

....etc....

Sure, I'll grant that. However, your post was condescending, and it amused me to contrast it with the sentiment in your signature. So yeah, it appears to me as though you pwned yourself rather thoroughly, in the vernacular of the times.

From what I've seen, the high end Agiles seem to use some pretty nice components, and people tell me the workmanship is good. OK, so they're not on par with a Gibson. What is the point of belaboring this issue, anyhow? You want to tell me that a guitar that costs less than $1000 with upgrades is inferior to a guitar that costs $3-5k or more? Wow, thanks for the insight.

The fact is that even after upgrading the pickups, I have no trouble at all believing that one can get a very serious instrument for less than $1000 from Agile, and for all I know it may very well play better than your typical Gibson Standard or Studio. We all know that playability is entirely subjective anyhow.

You can get a similar or better value from other companies, as well. Why is it so hard to believe that Korean guitar factories would have any trouble putting out a quality product? They've been at it for a while, and have, by most accounts that I have seen, improved substantially in recent years....which is exactly what one would expect to see as they gain more experience in the field and improve their production methods.

And to say that the fact that you don't see famous musicians using Agiles in any way proves their inferiority borders on the absurd. Those musicians have obligations to their sponsors to be seen using certain instruments, for one thing. Now you want to tell me that Agile is inferior because they can't afford to woo big ticket musicians like Gibson, Fender, PRS, et al? Seriously?

• Members

well, one stupid post deserves another.

it is just funny that a few Agile owners suddenly become "experts" in sociology, international trade, international economics, labor relations and global guitar contract production every time anyone, even stand-up guys who let their playing do the talking, presents a reason why they like something else:)

My opinion?? Enjoy your Agiles, let the guitars and your playing speak for themselves. They look like great guitars for the money.

• Members
Every time I read one of these threads I get a real hankering for one of the higher end Agiles.

I know! Me too.

I don't own one, but it may just be a matter of time. I like the look of that AL 4000 with the Duncans. Swap out the abalone for MOP and :love:

• Members

If you can get basically the same result in the end, and leave with a lot of cash left over, they why not?
Almost any guitar these days can be made into a great playing/sounding guitar with a little set up.

• Members

it is just funny that a few Agile owners suddenly become "experts" in sociology, international trade, international economics, labor relations and global guitar contract production every time anyone, even stand-up guys who let their playing do the talking, presents a reason why they like something else:)

havent seen that in this thread. all i saw was someone claiming the name tag and USA stamp made a guitar quantifiably better somehow. thats just bull{censored}, sorry.

"liking" a guitar is something else entirely.

only thing im trying to say is that agile is fully capable of producing high end guitars with quality second to none.

• Members

This is a never ending battle....

Those expensive guitars have a drop of Magic in them.... They don't have any "Magic" bottles in Korea... That is the secret at Gibson, PRS, etc.. :p
Magic_Inkjet_Flush_Bottle_To_Open_Pull_O

An electric guitar is just wood, glue, and simple electronics folks...
As long as the wood isn't warped and the components are 1/2 way decent, who cares?

• Members

Boys and girls, boys and girls calm down... Listen to the voice of reason.. Agiles are good guitars.. They are well made, but still are pretty generic Korean built guitars with little resale value...
Buy the lower end Agiles.Once you get in lets say the $400-600 range there are WAY better choices,, ,,,
USA built Hiway 1 strats and teles... in mint to exc condition
Like new Gibson Faded Les Pauls in single and double cut,P-90 and Buckers, I often see Faded SG's in the $400+ range...
Like new USA Hamer Specials, in both Bucker and P 90 trim, which are FAR superior to anything Agile has ever made,
USA Washburns, which go STUPID cheap, USA Schecters too,..
Once you get close to $600 the options are even greater,, This is where you start seeing USA American Standard strats ,teles, Gibson SG' Standards with changed tuners or pickups, plus some cool vintage pieces that will increase in value over time... stuff like that
again, Agiles are ok for short bucks, but when you have $400 and up to spend, there are much better choices,, but hey, buy and play what you like,, As for me, I look for gear I can play and then sell at a profit, or at least get close to what I paid.. But a new $600 Agile, and when it arrives at you door, you are the proud owner of a $200 guitar if you need to "off it" quickly bob

• Members
Boys and girls, boys and girls calm down... Listen to the voice of reason.. Agiles are good guitars.. They are well made, but still are pretty generic Korean built guitars with little resale value...

Buy the lower end Agiles.Once you get in lets say the $400-600 range there are WAY better choices,, ,,,

USA built Hiway 1 strats and teles... in mint to exc condition

Like new Gibson Faded Les Pauls in single and double cut,P-90 and Buckers, I often see Faded SG's in the $400+ range...

Like new USA Hamer Specials, in both Bucker and P 90 trim, which are FAR superior to anything Agile has ever made,

USA Washburns, which go STUPID cheap, USA Schecters too,..

Once you get close to $600 the options are even greater,, This is where you start seeing USA American Standard strats ,teles, Gibson SG' Standards with changed tuners or pickups, plus some cool vintage pieces that will increase in value over time... stuff like that

again, Agiles are ok for short bucks, but when you have $400 and up to spend, there are much better choices,, but hey, buy and play what you like,, As for me, I look for gear I can play and then sell at a profit, or at least get close to what I paid.. But a new $600 Agile, and when it arrives at you door, you are the proud owner of a $200 guitar if you need to "off it" quickly bob

Just a little blurb on resale value.

I have sold 4 Agiles on my local craigs...
AL 2000- purchased for $150, sold for $200
AL 2000- purchased for $200, sold for $225
AL 2500 12 string- purchased for $200, sold for $250
EP1 acoustic- purchased for $100, sold for $200.

All were purchased from Rondo.
$225 profit :thu:

Gibson Faded SG with moon inlay model:
Paid $600, sold for $500, ...
$100 loss

American Fender year 2000:
Paid $800 new in 2001
Sold for $550 on ebay last year
$250 loss

I will say that I agree that there is some great stuff in the $500 ish price range out there though...

Archived