anyone tried a "high end" agile? ($500+)

twotimingpete

• Members

Whoops....I forgot about Carvin.

G & L doesn't count because you can buy them new at alot of dealers.

I was referring to single source available brands.

And I agree, if you haven't played/owned a highend Agile, is there really a need to muddy up this thread with comments, for or against?

Myself included...

bye

:wave:

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

so does G&L:)

so does gibson. heck gibson lets people put unedited posts right on their product pages.

i think the main difference is that the agile one isnt a corporate suckup. carvin is of course notorious for removing anything not flattering to the brand.

gibson seems to do well not intruding on theirs though, from what ive seen. dont go there often though.

if gibson has one major "flaw" as a company, its that they dont seem to cater to the customer. kurt makes his living by building exactly what people ask for.

i think over the next several years agiles will push to higher prices and higher end features. he did it before with minimal sucess, but now with the custom shop, and the reputation for high end 8 strings, people are trusting the brand alot more.

the blue burst 7 string neck through AL with abalone binding posted earlier cost well over $1000. if that becomes more and more common, other things becomes justifiable to do in volume. for example theres now a stock neck through AL.

this is what id like kurt to make either in production or custom:

- agile AL shape.

- 2 piece USA swamp ash thin profile body.

- 2 piece canadian maple cap.

- 3 piece laminated canadian maple neck through.

- indian rosewood fret board, no inlays.

- indian rosewood headstock overlay.

- 24" scale, 10" radius.

- 1-11/16" bone nut.

- 22 medium frets.

- fat round neck profile.

- no binding.

- tummy cut.

- satin unfilled clear polyurethane finish on body, tung oil on neck back.

- 2 duncan p-rail pickups, no rings.

- large control cavity, top mount jack, no upper bout switch, mini switches for pickup coil selection.

- gotoh string through tunomatic.

- gotoh or grover kluson style tuners.

price? dunno yet, but certainly under $1000. in production it could probably hit $500 easy, but hed need hundreds of buyers to pull that off.

so... who would like to tell me why this guitar couldnt possibly be as good as any other guitar available?

• Members

so... who would like to tell me why this guitar couldnt possibly be as good as any other guitar available?

Because it would say Agile on the headstock :poke:

You know just as well as I do, that some people would give it no respect based on what it says on the headstock.

• Members

Because it would say Agile on the headstock :poke:

You know just as well as I do, that some people would give it no respect based on what it says on the headstock.

sure, theres a few idiots.. but i think some people believe gibson or whoever have some special skill that noone else does.

so i listed a spec. seems "top end" to me - well, for a fairly "basic" design anyhow.

workmanship?

the only aspect (besides shipping damage) i think id be worried on this guitar would be the finish. i want it to be like my SG, only with poly. normally the factory puts way too much paint on for my tastes. i want to feel the grain. i think thats a personal preference though. the thick finish is more durable certainly and doesnt really make the guitar any "worse" than another.

• Members

If Kurt made a Wolfgang to my specs, I'd build it in his custom shop in a second. Kurt, God bless him, won't infringe upon copyright nor break his word so it'll probably never happen. PRS asked him to quit making the PS line and Kurt agreed (without a fight) and will NOT make a custom of one now. You have to give him credit for being a man of his word. Not many of those left in this world, especially in this economy.

-Mc

• Members

I may not own an Agile, but this thread is relevant to my interests. I'm looking at buying a new guitar, and Agile is one of the options I'm considering. Specifically, I'm interested in the Telecastery-types, but I haven't heard anything from anyone about them yet. I was initially attracted to this thread hoping to hear something about them from someone who had some first-hand experience.

# Solid 3/8" New Hamshire Spalted Maple Top!

# Traditional / retro-styled body made of a beautiful Solid Ash

# Professional Grover tuners offer an 18-1 tuning ratio for ultra fine tuning

# Hard Rock Maple neck and figerboard with dot inlays and 22 frets

# Wilkinson Saddle with String-tru-Body design

# Passive volume/tone controls with classic blade three way selector switch

# Two Agile Noiseless Pickups

# Width of the neck at the nut: 1 11/16"; at the 22st fret: 2 1/3"

# U-Shape Fingerboard with fingerboard radius: 7.25"

# Overall length 39"

# Width at the widest point: 12 3/4"

# Actual Weight is approx 8 lbs

tc12002tsspalted5.jpg

• Members

Lets face it, some players put as much stock in manufacturer mojo as in that which they create themselves.

I feel that really strong players whom are totally confident in how and what they play, and are so completely comfortable doing it, are far less concerned about what name is on the headstock, while others seem to preoccupy themselves equally as much with who made their gear, as how well they make it speak for themselves.

many brands have come and gone for me, but none of them did the talking by themselves. So I could give to {censored}s what name is on my headstock as long as I like the axe.

• Members

Jimmy Page:
"After we finished doing some studio work in London, my pals and I went to play online in some chat forums. We heard these people talking about Agile guitars. I decided to order the 4000 Les Paul copy. Whoah! When it came in the mail direct from an island off the coast of some other communist Island in Asia somewhere, it was perfectly setup. The action was high the way I like it, the neck felt as slim as a major league baseball bat and slow as a slug covered in salt, the binding was tight and creamy with many imperfections that weren't too noticeable with the lights off, and the saddles kinda had a hint of intonation to them. But the real kicker was the tone. Oh momma! This thing KILLED my classic LP's in every category. I called some producers over and they all agreed that we needed to immediately re-record all the Led Zepplin albums (except for 1--I'll be using a Classic Vibe Squier Tele for that) with this awesome guitar. I'm having John's remains exhumed, and I'll magically bring him back to life with this tone monster {censored}ing beast!"

Joe Satriani:
"I was held at gunpoint and told to either play an Agile copy of a PRS or my family would be executed. Man, am I glad I did. These guitars blow away the real deal, at a 17th of the cost. Ibanez/schmibanez! Chickenfoot 2 is gonna be full of some amazing new stuff with my awesome new Agile. No wonder these things are so hot."

BB King:
"I was lucky enough to get my hands on a semi-hollow DC Agile back in 2008. I have since smashed my ES's live on stage while screaming like an angry cave man for hours on end. The audience was a little confused, but it was all worth it. Agile captures the blues tone I was always after but could never quite achieve."

Tony Iommi:
"One day we were warming up at Ozzy's house, and my input jack takes a {censored} on my SG. Well, Ozzy's fat kid comes running in with this Agile that looked amazing. It was watery blue, with full MOP knockoff binding, a pine thru neck, and a fake Bigsby tremolo. When I plugged this thing in, the sounds that came from my guitar made God actually {censored} in his {censored}ing pants. Ozzy high-fived me, and we recorded a new album in 12 twelve minutes!"

Zakk Wylde:
"I have always been a Les Paul man, but one day I was hit in the {censored}ing head with a hammer repeatedly, and I ordered an Agile online. It even came with a sweet, mass-produced gig bag which will surely hold up for at least 2 months--who needs a HSC anyway?? amirite?? So, I started shredding, and instantly got hard and jizzed myself. Literally. Then I had to piss, so I took all my old Les Pauls and urinated and {censored} on them before chucking them in the wood chipper forever. I called up Gibson and Epiphone and told them to take their {censored}ty endorsment and bury it in their own crap-guitar-building assholes! I found out what clarity and dynamics were really about. And the squealies? Don't even get me started on those stock pickups!"

Neil Young:
"I played an Agile one day while recording some new stuff, and I decided right then to kill myself, because my whole career, and those modded '53's tones were a {censored}ing waste of my life and other people's time. So now I'm dead. Thanks Agile!"

Is it painfully obvious that this guy has never seen an Agile in person much less played one. Just as informed as certain failed vice presidential hopefull from some state up north. Sarah is that you?

Max

Archived