anyone tried a "high end" agile? ($500+)

twotimingpete

• Members
I see a lot of pro's using Agiles both live and on recordings.

Oh wait, no they don't. It must be their superior tone and craftsmanship.

Look, they're good budget guitars, but budget guitars are still budget guitars. If ya dig 'em, cool, but some people are going a little too far with the brainwashed love. They're not Fender, or Gibson, or PRS. It's like the Vitage Vibe Squier crowd thinking these things are as good or better than American Standards. It's absurd, but hey, if telling yourself something that's untrue makes ya feel like you spent your cash properly, go for it.

because those companies are the only ones capable of making a decent guitar? :facepalm::facepalm:

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
then you can order one with knobs in a different place
:)
the beauty of custom.

they can really do alot of crazy things...

al3107d.jpg

WHAT IS THAT?! :eek:

That is exquisite. Is that yours?

How do you deal with Kurt on this custom stuff? I don't see any links or anything on the website.

• Members
WHAT IS THAT?!
:eek:

How do you deal with Kurt on this custom stuff? I don't see any links or anything on the website.

He periodically "opens" the shop for a week or two, in which you pay $10 to get a quote (to weed out the non-serious people)on a link that shows up on the rondo home page, and if you want it you agree on the quote. But his queue gets filled up very quickly so it's only open for offers for a short period of time before he stops it again. I believe last I heard the shops pretty much filled until February, so it'll probably open up around then again.

• Members
WHAT IS THAT?!
:eek:

not mine. as mentioned above, kurt opens the shop every so often for a week or so.

that blue LP 7 string is on the high end of price possibilities, being a fair bit over $1000 if im not mistaken.

its a neck through, 7 string, solid quilt cap, with real abalone binding, ebony fretboard and tone pros hardware.

the basic cost of a custom is 50% over the stock version, but some special features can really add up. abalone binding is aparently a really big price hog.

• Members
not mine. as mentioned above, kurt opens the shop every so often for a week or so.

that blue LP 7 string is on the high end of price possibilities, being a fair bit over $1000 if im not mistaken.

its a neck through, 7 string, solid quilt cap, with real abalone binding, ebony fretboard and tone pros hardware.

the basic cost of a custom is 50% over the stock version, but some special features can really add up. abalone binding is aparently a really big price hog.

That one caught my eye, but all the ones you posted were lovely pieces of work. If I wasn't building one myself I might have just ordered a custom seven string from Kurt. Looks like great stuff.

Thanks for sharing the pics. :)

• Members

This is back-tracking, but I got a pretty quick reply on the veneer question. Here is the reply I got from Kurt:

"Thanks - Every model we stock from every brand (including when we used to Sell Epiphone, Fender, Ibanez etc) - with the exception of the Agile 3000M models have a thin maple top - about 1/16" - the 3000M models have a top that's 3/4" on the arch top models and 3/8" on the flat top models.

kurt"

- W

• Members

I liked Silverburst LP's self-pwnage much better.

There's a difference between a gearsnob and a realist.

A gearsnob would just frown in the genereal direction of an Agile or Epi as if it's incapable of producing quality sound or holding tune or even really working for more than ten minutes without exploding.

A realist would recognize that Asian mass-produced Agiles are not the same thing as US handmade top of the line guitars.

And while this is a thread comparing Epi's and High-end Agiles, I recognize it's a fair comparison, but the myth that Agiles are somehow a replacement for a genuine Les Paul or PRS or Ibanez is absurd, even if Gibson is charging entirely too much money for what they're producing.

My comment about pro's using the Agile line pertains to those musicians who are recognizable--the Clapton's and King's and Townsend's and Satriani's of the world. Not Billy Bob's BBQ Bar Band.

But don't stop me from letting you kids type awesome words like "pwnage"....

• Members

this description, like the last one makes you a gear snob. You're saying it can't POSSIBLY be better because of the name on the headstock. Until you've held one, you have nothing credible to offer in this whole discussion.

I have US handmade guitars and some of them suck - the reason I sold my Gibson guitars off. By your standards they are AWESOME guitars because of the name on the headstock, not based on fit, finish, sound, etc.

Face it you're a hypocritical gear snob.

And for the record, putting Agile guitars in the same breath as Epiphone is TRULY insulting because most Epiphones are way below Agile's standards and nearly all Agile owners would send back the guitars if they were that {censored}ty.

-Mc

• Members

And while this is a thread comparing Epi's and High-end Agiles, I recognize it's a fair comparison, but the myth that Agiles are somehow a replacement for a genuine Les Paul or PRS or Ibanez is absurd, even if Gibson is charging entirely too much money for what they're producing.

My comment about pro's using the Agile line pertains to those musicians who are recognizable--the Clapton's and King's and Townsend's and Satriani's of the world. Not Billy Bob's BBQ Bar Band.

But don't stop me from letting you kids type awesome words like "pwnage"....

I think more the fact that the advertising of Gibson is what perpetuates their standing amongst the music 'elite.' Those guys probably don't know Agile exsists because why would they? They have endorsement deals, they are handed free Gibsons to play.

• Members

Look, they're good budget guitars, but budget guitars are still budget guitars. If ya dig 'em, cool, but some people are going a little too far with the brainwashed love. They're not Fender, or Gibson, or PRS. It's like the Vitage Vibe Squier crowd thinking these things are as good or better than American Standards. It's absurd, but hey, if telling yourself something that's untrue makes ya feel like you spent your cash properly, go for it.

First of all, they are Classic Vibes. As an onwer of a $2,000+ strat and a $350 Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster, I can attest that they really are that good. I've owned many Fenders over the years, I still own my John Mayer signature and a 1981, and the Squier Classic Vibe stacks up well with everything I have owned. It is much better than the first American Standard I owned, which promptly got sold after I bought it.

Inexpensive does not always equal cheap. The simple fact is, if I Gibson LP or 335 were built in China or Korea with the exact same materials, it would not cost the same, simply because the wage for work is lower in those countries.

For instance the Squier Classic Vibe has 2-3 piece Alder bodies, Alnico 3/5 pickups, The same ping Kluson style tuners that come on the Mexican Classic series. Pretty much the exact same guitar as a Mexican Classic minus the full size zinc block. Throw in a $20 steel block and you have a guitar on par, if not better than a guitar that costs twice as much.

I think in this day in age, where we have CNC machines, its really not hard to think that an import can be a quality guitar.

• Members

Lesser grade of wood, lower quality components, cheaper hardware. Squiers are not AS strats or teles. And Agiles are not Gibsons.

This doesn't mean you can get great sound from them, but a properly set up AS strat or Gibby LP in the same hands will kill a Squier or Agile anyday.

That's not gearsnobbery. That's the truth.

I think some of you guys are deluded by price hatred. I completely agree that over grand and alot more for a LP standard or AS Strat or Tele is absurd. And that Agiles make some fine instruments, many of them could beat out Squiers or Epi's. I'm just saying they're not necessarily in the same department as most Gibsons. This doesn't mean you can't get a lemon from Gibson, or Fender or any other "name brand"... but if I had a choice of a real LP or an Agile copy with cheaper components, PUPS, fret pressing, bridges, wood, assembly, and a different tone, only a someone pretending too hard to be anti-gearsnob would think there's a fair comparison.

I drive an olds. It's an OK car. It doesn't mean I wouldn't drive a mercedes if I could, or that I'm a a car snob for realizing there's a major difference between the two.

I have an Epi LP w/ 57's. My buddy has an Agile 4000. We A/B'd them. The Agile was a fine guitar, with higher stock output pups, but it didn't have the same feel or LP sound/tone that the epi w/ Gibson PUPS had.

Go buy your Agiles and delude yourselves into thinking it's the same thing. It's not.

Endorsements may be why a lot of pros play said name brands, but many of them started with these guitars. I never saw SRV play a Squier, or Clapton, or Beck, or Buddy Guy, or Gilmour, etc. I'm sure people like Townsend and Warren Haynes and Slash aren't blissfully unaware of names like Agile. Slash used a "fake" LP on Appetite, but what happened when they got their first hit? He went right back to Gibson. He's not on stage playing his Epi Model, is he?

I trust the judgemeent of pros who live and breathe music all day, everyday for their tonal tastes and opinions on guitars over a bunch of internet guys looking to insult anyone who disagrees with them and defend a lower end brand as if it's a reasonable comparison.

Does this make me a hypocrit? NO. I still think agiles, squiers, epi's all make some very decent instruments. I still think the Bad Monkey sounds just as good as a Tubescreamer, and that som Dano pedals are steals. I love the tone of a Valve Junior over a Champ 600. I have a MIM strat that, in my hands, has killed some guys with AS strats, and has felt better than some US strats I've toyed with. I kept a Behringer Paser on my board forever because I couldn't fine one I liked better enough to justify spending more cash. I think Fulltone makes some great swtuff, and overrated {censored}. I have played some LP's in stores that felt like junk.

But I also know there's a difference between lower end gear and higher end gear. That's just reality.

• Members

Mchale, I'd love to try one of those out. How would you compare it to other popular Korean makes, like Schecter or the PRS SE line?

I can answer this one.

Have a ton of Agiles - took the PRS SE back to the store - isn't even close to the Agile AL2000 let alone the higher priced ones.

the Schecter vs Agile - they are different model types.....bet money built in the same factory.

I've got the Schecter C1 Classic and it's awesome!! I traded a PS-924WE with a fellow formite and they both rock and are extremely close to each other. the Schecter wins because out of the box it had the SD JB but the Agiles at the same prince as the classic do too - so its a push.

Summary

Agile=Schecter and these both destroy the LAME PRS SE Korea model

• Members

This is a posat of ignorance. the tone woods used in the Asian guitars are the same (may come from different forests, but same.

But you may be right. Recommend only buying American cars too...

Lesser grade of wood, lower quality components, cheaper hardware. Squiers are not AS strats or teles. And Agiles are not Gibsons.

This doesn't mean you can get great sound from them, but a properly set up AS strat or Gibby LP in the same hands will kill a Squier or Agile anyday.

I think some of you guys are deluded by price hatred. I completely agree that over grand and alot more for a LP standard or AS Strat or Tele is absurd. And that Agiles make some fine instruments, many of them could beat out Squiers or Epi's. I'm just saying they're not necessarily in the same department as most Gibsons. This doesn't mean you can't get a lemon from Gibson, or Fender or any other "name brand"... but if I had a choice of a real LP or an Agile copy with cheaper components, PUPS, fret pressing, bridges, wood, assembly, and a different tone, only a someone pretending too hard to be anti-gearsnob would think there's a fair comparison.

I drive an olds. It's an OK car. It doesn't mean I wouldn't drive a mercedes if I could, or that I'm a a car snob for realizing there's a major difference between the two.

I have an Epi LP w/ 57's. My buddy has an Agile 4000. We A/B'd them. The Agile was a fine guitar, with higher stock output pups, but it didn't have the same feel or LP sound/tone that the epi w/ Gibson PUPS had.

Go buy your Agiles and delude yourselves into thinking it's the same thing. It's not.

Endorsements may be why a lot of pros play said name brands, but many of them started with these guitars. I never saw SRV play a Squier, or Clapton, or Beck, or Buddy Guy, or Gilmour, etc. I'm sure people like Townsend and Warren Haynes and Slash aren't blissfully unaware of names like Agile. Slash used a "fake" LP on Appetite, but what happened when they got their first hit? He went right back to Gibson. He's not on stage playing his Epi Model, is he?

I trust the judgemeent of pros who live and breathe music all day, everyday for their tonal tastes and opinions on guitars over a bunch of internet guys looking to insult anyone who disagrees with them and defend a lower end brand as if it's a reasonable comparison.

Does this make me a hypocrit? NO. I still think agiles, squiers, epi's all make some very decent instruments. I still think the Bad Monkey sounds just as good as a Tubescreamer, and that som Dano pedals are steals. I love the tone of a Valve Junior over a Champ 600. I have a MIM strat that, in my hands, has killed some guys with AS strats, and has felt better than some US strats I've toyed with. I kept a Behringer Paser on my board forever because I couldn't fine one I liked better enough to justify spending more cash. I think Fulltone makes some great swtuff, and overrated {censored}. I have played some LP's in stores that felt like junk.

But I also know there's a difference between lower end gear and higher end gear. That's just reality.

• Members

ah, to be young and stupid again...

• Members

Endorsements may be why a lot of pros play said name brands, but many of them started with these guitars. I never saw SRV play a Squier, or Clapton, or Beck, or Buddy Guy, or Gilmour, etc.

I guarantee some of the higher end Squiers are made with a nice grade of alder just like the Mexican and American Guitars. Back in the 90s American Standards were using Poplar as a tone wood, and not even Ash or Alder like they traditionally use.

You are still ignoring the fact that I have high quality USA made guitars, and I still stand by the lowly Squier. The Squier Classic Vibes aren't Fenders, but they are excellent guitars nonetheless.

and as far as your statement about High profile players only playing name brand guitars, I guess George Harrison doesn't count as high profile. He played a squier at one point:

http://www.stratcollector.com/newsdesk/archives/000056.html

• Members

I don't get where you can say that Asian guitars use cheaper parts and pickups. My (and your friends) AL-4000 had Seymour Duncans in it. If you're calling those cheaper pickups, I'd love to see what pickups you consider good enough.

Interesting picture you posted though (for some odd reason). You can tell by a picture the QUALITY and the TONE that that Asian wood will produce? Really? That's an amazing gift you have. Can you point me to some stripped Agile guitars where they aren't up to the level of that SQUIRE? I'll give you a hint, the Agile guitar forums have a lot of pictures where people stripped the bodies so you should be able to find 'em if you really care to compare.

But you seriously need to change your sig. You're a hypocrite if you don't. You buy gear based on what famous musicians play and the name on the headstock. That's the most retarded thing in the world. You do realize that Ibanez was considered a knock off brand until a few musicians like Steve Vai played 'em. If Steve Vai and Joe Walsh started playing an Agile, would it finally be OK for you to play them and show them some respect? Because that's the only logic you seem to be using.

As an FYI, almost all guitars are made by CNC machines now a days. For you to say that the ones in America make better guitars than the exact same machines in Asia is actually racism in a strange, weird way.

-Mc

• Members

Interesting picture you posted though (for some odd reason). You can tell by a picture the QUALITY and the TONE that that Asian wood will produce? Really? That's an amazing gift you have. Can you point me to some stripped Agile guitars where they aren't up to the level of that SQUIRE? I'll give you a hint, the Agile guitar forums have a lot of pictures where people stripped the bodies so you should be able to find 'em if you really care to compare.

I posted that pic, in defense of cheaper guitars. Im not bagging on Agiles. I was saying that the wood in that 350 squier looks spot on for the wood you would see in an American Standard. By looking at the grain patterns you can tell a bit about the quality of the wood, not necessarily the tone, but I own one so I can attest to the quality. I'm on your side :)

Archived