Cat owners: Do your cats gravitate to your guitars/amps?

maltomario

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Boxes, that the new guitars come in, are shredded in a day by my four furry fellas... Sometimes, when they play with each other, they jump and bump right into guitars on the stands, making me nervous. And yeah, they dominate my amp when it's off... Teached them not to scratch the cloth, so now they only lie on top with smart faces.

And one cat actually played my guitar unplugged - by stepping on the strings when it was lying on the floor. :eek:

Btw, how many cat owners here leave their guitars in stands while the cat is around. I know they are very graceful and all, but one of my old cats killed my first acoustic guitar in a failed jump attempt, maybe a rare acurrance but still, I don't let my cats or any other pet into my guitar room anymore just in case.
:eek:

Mine do this, but the stands were good so far... They did leave a few small, almost unnoticeable scratches. :(

• Members

A string-change is an exciting time, as the loose ends of old and new strings bobbing around in the air are just begging to be pounced upon.

Horrible, annoying time! I just throw them something to play with - old strings or cut-off parts, so they'll leave me alone. :rolleyes:

• Members

I like the OP's cat. I can has?

We have had loads of different cats passing through our house over the years. We even had kittens for while. We currently have a son/mother pair of persians (my wife's choice - I find them strange looking and prefer the outdoor going moggie cats). As soon as I take the guitar off the wall and plug they're off to the farthest corners of the house they can find.

• Members

No! Never!!
:o

Chatonsautomne27-09-2009051.jpg

What a cutie!! Did you rescue him?

Here are my 2 girls

SugarandSarah-June72008.jpg

Sarah is the black one (she's 5), and Sugar is the tortie colored one (she's about 12 years old). I adopted both of them from the no-kill cat shelter I volunteer at, after work. With regards to guitars:

1. Do they climb up on my amp? - yes

2. Do they attack my strings during string changes? - so much so that Sarah drove me up the wall last week, when I was changing strings on my 7-string DeArmond Sevenstar.

3. Both of them hang out with me while I'm playing. Although, if the volume gets cranked (which doesn't happen too often - I live in an apartment building), Sugar will run off to the bedroom (the amp's in the living room).

4. And, like many of you, I've learned that if I DON'T want a case lined with cat hair, I'd better leave it closed.

5. I have a tendency to leave my Gretsch Country Club in its case, rather than on the stand. When I had my Ibby Artcore AS73T, my cats knocked it over, when it was left in a stand while I was at work. The Artcore didn't suffer any damage, but I don't know if my Country Club (which is a bit bigger), would be so fortunate.

Cats can be a real hassle around guitars. But you know something, I wouldn't be without mine. In spite of the fact I'm allergic to cats (I've known this since I was 7 years old - I take Zyrtec to deal with the allergy). They really do enrich my life. Unless you abuse them, pets give you unconditional love. IMO, that's a big thing.

• Members

I vividly remember this as if it were yesterday. It was 1994/1995 and I bought a brand new Fender M-80 head (black carpet instead of tolex), brought it over to my g/f house and took it out of the box and played it. Took a break to have dinner and when I returned her and her roomates cat decided to treat it as a scratching post. There is snagged carpet that was lifted off that remains to this day. Every time I see the amp I think back at that cat in disgust!!!

• Members

Other than the above post I never had other cats gravitate towards my gear, and if I did the cats would be gravitating towards the pavement.

What I do have a problem with is irresponsible cat owners like my old bass player. His cat was indoor/outdoor and I'd see sandy catprints all over my car along with the scratches from it's claws. The bass player never thought anything was wrong until I showed him the scratches and said, "Do you want to clean this crap off and buff out the scratches?" Problem is they like the cats think they own the world and so what if they damage your property.

• Members

My drummer's cats like to piss all over cables, his mixer, and pretty much everything else that's left out where they can get to it.

I like cats, but the stench in the practice room has pretty much cured me from ever having them again.

Good to see I'm not the only non cat lover in here.

• Members

I no longer own a cat for about a month now. It will be the last time my car paint is all scratched up,a new Harley seat tore up. Cat's are cool but I haven't met 1 worth a $3K paint job let alone the few cars they have screwed up here. I have to have my Cadillac hood resprayed now:mad:

I was wondering when a voice of reason would speak up. Also surprising no other cat owners are offering their sympathy about cat's scratching the crap out of other people's property.

I'd like to see a lawsuit and it's outcome in this vein.

• Members

I was wondering when a voice of reason would speak up. Also surprising no other cat owners are offering their sympathy about cat's scratching the crap out of other people's property.

Gosh. Four posts. You seem to have a distinct dislike of the fluffy feline. Do they enter your dreams, drain your spirit, entering your very being and tearing out all the joy and happiness of your life, or something?

• Members

My 2 cats like to be wherever I am. They are snuggly when I practice jazz. But they run when I break out the distortion.

And to prevent them from scratching up too many things, I had them declawed when they were kittens. They are strictly indoor so this works for them.

My cats:

KittiesandSheena2-1.jpg

• Members

I vividly remember this as if it were yesterday. It was 1994/1995 and I bought a brand new Fender M-80 head (black carpet instead of tolex), brought it over to my g/f house and took it out of the box and played it. Took a break to have dinner and when I returned her and her roomates cat decided to treat it as a scratching post. There is snagged carpet that was lifted off that remains to this day. Every time I see the amp I think back at that cat in disgust!!!

Other than the above post I never had other cats gravitate towards my gear, and if I did the cats would be gravitating towards the pavement.

What I do have a problem with is irresponsible cat owners like my old bass player. His cat was indoor/outdoor and I'd see sandy catprints all over my car along with the scratches from it's claws. The bass player never thought anything was wrong until I showed him the scratches and said, "Do you want to clean this crap off and buff out the scratches?" Problem is they like the cats think they own the world and so what if they damage your property.

Good to see I'm not the only non cat lover in here.

glad to see you know how to use the edit button. :cop:

enjoy your fancy things when you realize you're loney :thu:

• Members

4 posts snipped

Fusion's thinking: "Oh look, a thread about cats. I don't like cats so I'm gonna go in there and post something about how I don't like cats even though I'm sure it's full of cat lovers. Let's see what happens!

Gonna respond to different people and create 4 posts about it instead of consolidating it down to one post too....that's like putting it on cruise-control to cool!"

Archived