Removing pickguard from Les Paul, What to use to full screw hole? or leave it open?

maf2k8

• Members

This may sound like a stupid question but here goes....

I own my very first Gibson Les Paul and there are 2 types of people, Ones who LOVE the pick guard on there pauls and others who hate it.

I know some pausl come without a pickguard but i have a standard, so i have a pick guard.

In the past with my EPI LP's i would remove the PG and either leave the screw hole just open or put the screw back in ( minus the PG ) because i wasnt much concerned about it

Well i was wondering for those of you who do remove the PG on your Gibsons, what do you do about the screw hole? Its such a expensive axe so i dont want to damage the wood or do anything of that nature.

Any thoughts? comments? advice? thanks

• Members

I just put the screws back in.

either that or just leave them open. I sure wouldn't fill them, but that's me. If you put the screws back in, you'll end up putting them in deeper if you want them flush, and then that would widen the holes a tad bit (since they're tapered) and if you want to reinstall the pg at a later date the screws wouldn't be quite as snug without some loctite type of filler.

So one vote for - "leave 'em open". Put the screws in a little baggie in the case.

• Members

This may sound like a stupid question but here goes....

I own my very first Gibson Les Paul
and there are 2 types of people, Ones who LOVE the pick guard on there pauls and others who hate it.

I know some pausl come without a pickguard but i have a standard, so i have a pick guard.

In the past with my EPI LP's i would remove the PG and either leave the screw hole just open or put the screw back in ( minus the PG ) because i wasnt much concerned about it

Well i was wondering for those of you who do remove the PG on your Gibsons, what do you do about the screw hole? Its such a expensive axe so i dont want to damage the wood or do anything of that nature.

Any thoughts? comments? advice? thanks

Standard Gibson LPs come without pickguards now, do you have a older one?

• Members

Standard Gibson LPs come without pickguards now, do you have a older one?

Solid colors still have PGs.

Just leave the holes empty.

If it's a dark color, you could use a Sharpie just to darken then exposed wood.

• Members

I put the screws back in so I didn't lose them. IF I ever wanted to put the pg back on ( I hate that look and feel, personally) then I'd just put a little toothpick in the hole before putting the screw back in.

Putting the screw in will also keep the finish from chipping around the pg holes if you're not careful. Plus I sweat, A LOT, and didn't want sweat getting down in that hole next to the next........

• Members

either that or just leave them open. I sure wouldn't fill them, but that's me. If you put the screws back in, you'll end up putting them in deeper if you want them flush, and then that would widen the holes a tad bit (since they're tapered) and if you want to reinstall the pg at a later date the screws wouldn't be quite as snug without some loctite type of filler.

So one vote for - "leave 'em open". Put the screws in a little baggie in the case.

Ever heard of a washer, it's a thin round piece of metal with a hole in it. It servers as a spacer so that you can put the screws back in and still not have to screw them in any farther than normal???

Oh, btw - I would never take the pick gaurd off. But, that's just me.

• Members

Ever heard of a washer, it's a thin round piece of metal with a hole in it. It servers as a spacer so that you can put the screws back in and still not have to screw them in any farther than normal???

I'm sure that would look swell. Or I could spend an afternoon trying to find the perfect little dainty metal matching washers. :lol:

I'm with Mazi now. Bacon grease the bitch. ;)

• Members

He could always use toothpicks with a small dap of glue, after it dries then he could put the screws back.

Archived