Is there anything out there like the POD 2.0 but with less amps?

elsupermanny14

• Members

I want something like the POD 2.0 that I can record easily with and fine edit settings. I want good amp model accuracy like the POD products have but I do not need 32 amp models. In all honesty that is way too much! I just need the basic models covered (JCM 800, Rectifier, AC 30, Fender Black Face type amp). Honestly I do not need more then that. I want some versatility with it, a lot more then the Pocket POD Express offers, and better recording capabilities then the Pocket POD. The final criteria that I would like to meet is a decent price like the POD line carries.

Is there anything that out there that sounds like this? Why do amp modeling companies feel the need to provide so many amp models in their product lines? There are some of us who only want the essential amp models and not an "insane" model or 60 different presets.

• Members

Sure... the POD 1.0 had half as many amp models.

But... but... what's wrong with having models that aren't being used? It doesn't make the modeler any easier or harder to use just because there are more amp models available on a dial.

:idk:

• Members

But... but... what's wrong with having models that aren't being used? It doesn't make the modeler any easier or harder to use just because there are more amp models available on a dial.

:idk:

Plus the different amp models behave differently depending on what guitar you are using,(I find I'm sometimes tweaking on individual p-ups on a single guitar.)

When I use my Pod,I pay more attention to my ears than what the name on the dial says.

Some models get used lots,some not so much,having a choice is rarely a bad thing,better than being limited.

The upside is Pod2s are really cheap now on the used market.

• Members

A used Yamaha DG Stomp costs about $100-125. It offers 8 amp "models"...Lead 1, 2; Drive 1, 2; Crunch 1, 2; Clean 1, 2.

These seem mostly midrange-rich amps to me, they were pretty much cover your Tweed Fender, Marshall and Mesa needs, and it is the only modeler I've ever played that nails both the clean and dirty tones of my real 1960 Tweed Deluxe. It doesn't really do much in the range of mid-scooped amps, like Blackface Fender Reverb models.

Effects are very nice and warm sounding.

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/ModelSeriesDetail.html?CNTID=2126&CTID#

yamahadgstomp.jpg

Otherwise, there is a used Vox Tonelab. Much easier to dial in on the fly than a POD.

vox-tonelab-071129.jpg

I think both of these options may work better for you. Both have digital out (S/P DIF...sorry no USB) for recording.

• Members

Instead of the pods look at the GX, UX, or UX2.

18 immortal guitar amps with 24 cabs

5 thumping bass amps with 5 cabs

29 stunning stompboxes and studio effects

6 warm and colorful mic preamps

18 amps sounds great! don't i have to run these through my computer though? i essentially just want something that i can plug my headphones into when i'm jamming on the floor. i don't really want to be tied to my computer when i want to jam late at night into some headphones.

let me know if i'm wrong with these devices cuz i have never actually used them. it just seems to me like they have to be run through the computer.

• Members

Instead of the pods look at the GX, UX, or UX2.

18 immortal guitar amps with 24 cabs

5 thumping bass amps with 5 cabs

29 stunning stompboxes and studio effects

6 warm and colorful mic preamps

immortality is an important feature to look for in an amp

• Members

18 amps sounds great! don't i have to run these through my computer though? i essentially just want something that i can plug my headphones into when i'm jamming on the floor. i don't really want to be tied to my computer when i want to jam late at night into some headphones.

let me know if i'm wrong with these devices cuz i have never actually used them. it just seems to me like they have to be run through the computer.

Unfortunately you do with the UX and I think the others too. The other alternative would be to get a new Vox Valvetronix 15 or 30w, which does about 10 or so models, and a similar number of effects and which has a headphone output... then just mic it through your recording interface.

• Members

I prefer the Tobelab over the PODs for everything other than a variety of high gain. And the Vox does high gain, but the POD offers about 8 different models and the difference is pretty impressive.

If you aren't all about high gain and you want direct tweakability, then the Vox is your baby.

:thu:

• Members

A used Yamaha DG Stomp costs about $100-125. It offers 8 amp "models"...Lead 1, 2; Drive 1, 2; Crunch 1, 2; Clean 1, 2.

These seem mostly midrange-rich amps to me, they were pretty much cover your Tweed Fender, Marshall and Mesa needs, and it is the only modeler I've ever played that nails both the clean and dirty tones of my real 1960 Tweed Deluxe. It doesn't really do much in the range of mid-scooped amps, like Blackface Fender Reverb models.

Effects are very nice and warm sounding.

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/ModelSeriesDetail.html?CNTID=2126&CTID#

yamahadgstomp.jpg

Otherwise, there is a used Vox Tonelab. Much easier to dial in on the fly than a POD.

vox-tonelab-071129.jpg

I think both of these options may work better for you. Both have digital out (S/P DIF...sorry no USB) for recording.

The Yamaha DG Stomps are fantastic modelers--both as stand-alone modelers as well as an effects unit. They have some very fine effects on there. But you'd be very luck to get one for under $150, and they're getting hard to find.

• Members

ive owned the original pod and the behringer Vamp2...both kidney beans and rack and ended up keeping the Vamp2...

however ive just replaced it with a zoom G1u... i got it solely for the zfx editing program via usb and onlyh use it for direct recording (i bypass its audio interface as i dont need it but its there if you wnat to get into recording)
601237400_3.jpg

you cna download some presets from the zfx tools site and the richie kotzen ones are pretty cool

very very surprised with the tones this thing pulls

the vox tonelab stuff is really cool too but i was after the smallest one i could fine

• Members

Really if you're looking for the best amp models your best bet would be a Digitech product. The effects are better than average but not on par with Boss multi-effects imo, but as far as the amp and cab models, you'd be hard pressed to find better.

Archived