New Speakers Day!

Doctor Morbius

• Members

sweet! love the alnico blue dog in my crate vintage club...
:o
I'll look forward to your review once installed and broken in!

These are already broken in. Bought them used.

If they sound anything like the Alnico versions I already have, they'll be perfect for what I want them for ... my new Silverface Twin! :D

• Members

I was just going to ask if they were alnico or ceramic...
:cool:

Yup, just plain old ceramic. They cost a lot less.

Cratz2 went on a tour of Ted Weber's facility last winter and he said that Ted himself said there isn't really much difference between alnico and ceramic as it relates to speaker tone.

• Members

yes

On the Silverface Twin Reverb, I'm just not too hip on the stock Oxfords (see post above with pic).

On the TRRI, the C12N (or C12K, I forget) Jensens are still in it and I use them. However, when the guys come over for a jam or I'm in a good mood I hook up an external cabinet with alnico Californias and use the external reverb unit for that real Surfy tone. Ain't nothing quite like it.

Just got a Dano FAB Echo too but I don't have a battery for it yet.

• Members

Okay, mine says it's got speakers made in USA for Fender by Eminence in Kentucky.

I guess I don't know what the significance of that might mean -as far as measuring up - but they do sound pretty good.

But I believe mine is also what you might call a black face version.

Lester65.jpg

• Members

Okay, mine says it's got speakers made in USA for Fender by Eminence in Kentucky.

I guess I don't know what the significance of that might mean -as far as measuring up - but they do sound pretty good.

You must have an older Twin Reverb Reissue then. Fender has been using Jensen as their stock speakers in the DRRI and TRRI for a few years now.

The EMI's you have are Legend 1258 speaks. They still come stock in the Hot Rod Deluxe and used to be stock in the DRRI and TRRI. I personally don't care for them, although they do take on a better tone at high volume.

• Members

You must have an older Twin Reverb Reissue then. Fender has been using Jensen as their stock speakers in the DRRI and TRRI for a few years now.

The EMI's you have are Legend 1258 speaks. They still come stock in the Hot Rod Deluxe and used to be stock in the DRRI and TRRI. I personally don't care for them, although they do take on a better tone at high volume.

Hmm, could be, but it is a good sounding amp. Scary to think it could sound even better! :eek:

But to be honest, I rarely fire it up cuz it's such a power house for most of the noodling around I do. But it's got a great resonant thunk to it that I love.

• Members

Hmm, could be, but it is a good sounding amp. Scary to think it could sound even better!
:eek:

But to be honest, I rarely fire it up cuz it's such a power house for most of the noodling around I do. But it's got a great resonant thunk to it that I love.

I certainly understand, which is why I bought a used PRRI a couple of weeks ago at GC. However, it was eating away at me that I only paid about $200 more for my used TRRI (and even less for my Silverface TR), which is a whole lot more amp and, IMO, TONE! Looks like I'll be taking the PRRI back before the 30 days is up.

Even though a Twin sounds like overkill for noodling around, it really won't hurt it. If all a person did was noodle around at bedroom levels the tubes would last forever, especially if they were quality made tubes. Plus it wouldn't put a strain on any of the electronic components. I've actually heard from a couple of good sources that the capacitors will go bad if an amp ISN'T played.

• Members

Speakers can make a tremendous difference in amps... But... how good many amps sound with stock speakers is a testament to how good the amp is. Certainly a lot of Fenders fall into this category but probably the best example is the Peavey Classic series. Many folks are very pleased with the stock Blue Marvel which I think is VERY similar to the 1258... Might be the identical speaker, but I'm not 100% sure. They sure look similar.

Anyway, I've personally replaced 4 Blue Marvels, one in my Prowler, three in friends Classic 30s. Two were Vintage 30s, one with a Greenback. I pretty much had the guys that went with the Vintage 30s as believers before they ordered. The guy that went with the Greenback, I told him that if he didn't like the change after a week, I'd put the stock back in and buy the Celestion. He still has the Celestion installed.

I've personally found that it's usually at home players that see the biggest differences in speakers. At cranked volume, with a band full of guys doing their thing as well, the Blue Marvel probably sounds 99% as good as a Greenback, but in YOUR house with YOUR guitar tweaked exactly how YOU imagine yourself sounding, the difference is pretty amazing.

I've played Doc's TRRI through the stock speakers, through the Alnico Californias in a closed cabinet and through a single Weber 12F150 in another cabinet. They all sound outstanding in my opinion, but they sound different. I feel that the 12F150 sounds the best if you are playing at loud, but not crazy levels... Twin at 3 or so, neck pickup on a strat. I think the Californias sound too bright at that level... or at least a lot brighter than the 12F150, but as you get closer to 5 on the volume of the Twin, the JBLs sound pretty much exactly the same as they did at 3, while the 12F150 starts to get a little of an edge like it's uncomfortable playing at that volume.

That's my $.02 take anyway. But I still have the ugly ass CTS speakers in my Twin II so what do I know?

P1070585a1.jpg

• Members

One thing that bugs me about mine is that it's reverb went out. :cry:

I think it's a simple fix, but I haven't gotten around to bringing it in yet. That's why in my pic there's that Peavey ProFex sitting on top. But it actually sounds just like the Fender's spring reverb - {censored} you not. That and the delays were the only thing good about that unit, and it was pricey in its day. But since it sounds so similar, it has only abetted my procrastination. But it has also hampered its portability since I have to drag a reverb unit along when I want to move it out for play time.

• Members

One thing that bugs me about mine is that it's reverb went out.
:cry:

I think it's a simple fix, but I haven't gotten around to bringing it in yet.

:eek::eek::eek:

:eek::eek::eek:

I'm such a reverb junkie, I cannot imagine having a Fender without a working reverb.

Out of curiosity, what do you think is wrong with it?

• Members

Yup, just plain old ceramic. They cost a lot less.

Cratz2 went on a tour of Ted Weber's facility last winter and he said that Ted himself said there isn't really much difference between alnico and ceramic as it relates to speaker tone.

was he referring to the alnico vs ceramic versions of his own models of the same series or in general terms? There's huge difference between a Celestion Greenback and Celestion Alnico Blue.

Archived