Small Tube Combo Amps: Which One?

killerbeez

• Members

Does anybody know how the JSX Mini and Valveking Royal 8 compare? Similar tube setup, same company...obviously the JSX is a lot better but is the basic tonality similar?

Did a side-by-side when they first came out, and I didn't like the attenuator on the JSX. It got kind of mushy at lower volumes. I never thought it was worth the extra $$.

The Royal 8 @ $85 is a no-brainer. Don't get many tube amps w/ a headphone out, either. Good choice.

• Members

I actually bought mine the other day from MF for 80, and then added a new Weber speaker for it. Total $108 shipped, for a tube amp with a high quality speaker. Should arrive tomorrow.

My experience with the stock Royal is that it has a rather harsh distortion, and I'm hoping the speaker will sort that out.

• Members

Does anybody know how the JSX Mini and Valveking Royal 8 compare? Similar tube setup, same company...obviously the JSX is a lot better but is the basic tonality similar?

Well the JSX is USA made for one....

I haven't played the Royal 8 before but I had no problems with the attenuator on my Mini - I loved it.

• Members

I actually bought mine the other day from MF for 80, and then added a new Weber speaker for it. Total $108 shipped, for a tube amp with a high quality speaker. Should arrive tomorrow.

My experience with the stock Royal is that it has a rather harsh distortion, and I'm hoping the speaker will sort that out.

After you plug in studio quality headsets, you know it's not a great stock speaker.

• Members

Ive changed my speaker for a celestion super 8, valves next, but sitting hear in the living room tonight with the master nearly full on, tone just before half way and gain on about 4 I am very happy, rolled back the volume a touch on my guitar, single coil neck position and tone changes again so sweet.

• Members

Yeah, I can't help but think maybe I should have gotten the Bugera instead of the Valveking Royal 8
:idk:
I guess we'll see how this works out.

I capitulated on that one too....so many good little tube amps to pick from. The peavey was not my first choice but the price was right. Worst case I can definitely get my money back on it and buy the bugera.