New pickups for my '58 Les paul?

Utero

• Members

I want to put some new pups in my les paul, and I really don't know where to start. I can't really try anything out considering what I have around me locally, so I'm hoping some of you can shed some light on what some good choices would be.

I play a lot of rock/blues but I've been straying into a lot of metal (C tuning)

I want some higher output pups that have a tight sound for palm muting and clarity when I'm playing lead. I currently have the stock pups in my les paul and it's just not cutting it as far as either goes. Any ideas?

All help is greatly appreciated :wave:

• Members

I wonder if some folks are seeing 58 Les Paul and not noticing that your sig clarifies that it's a reissue. Kinda sounds a bit troll-like if they didn't notice that sort of like, 'My grandfather just gave me an original 59 Les Paul. Should I route it for a Floyd or a Kahler?'

:lol:

I really like the Tone Zone for more aggressive rhythm stuff, but I don't play any metal lead these days. For rhythm, I couldn't really ask for a better pickup myself. Of course, that's in a 25.5" scale guitar.

• Members

Judging by you sig it not an actual 1958 LP, which im sure the mere suggestion of changing anything on has caused half of the forum to have a heart attack.

For blues/rock/metal id say the Gibson ceramics 496r/500t combo would be perfect- but bare in mind that they are reeeaaaallly hot so they dont do cleans very well.

• Members
I'd drop a couple of EMG's in there...

Can't get much heavier than that!

:wave:

M

Id beg to differ- id say the 500t's in my explorers are heavier than the EMG81 in my godin (IMO of course)- better bass end for chugging too. Although the EMG definitely has the edge when it comes to cleans, which is why I bought it.

• Members

That's a wide range of sounds you're going for, Utero. I don't know if one guitar can do all that.

If you still want just one axe to do it all, I'd suggest a good all-round set like the Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro/JB (neck pickup first, in case you're wondering).

Plenty of guitarists in heavier bands

• Members
I wonder if some folks are seeing 58 Les Paul and not noticing that your sig clarifies that it's a reissue. Kinda sounds a bit troll-like if they didn't notice that sort of like, 'My grandfather just gave me an original 59 Les Paul. Should I route it for a Floyd or a Kahler?'

:lol:

I really like the Tone Zone for more aggressive rhythm stuff, but I don't play any metal lead these days. For rhythm, I couldn't really ask for a better pickup myself. Of course, that's in a 25.5" scale guitar.

Ah I'm sorry, I didn't mean for it to look that way. I suppose I can find other ways to get a good ole rock tone, I just don't want my guitar to be pure static and crunch from the pups.

• Members

Yeah, I love my 57 Classics,
but I think that the Burstbucker 1 & 2 combo are the best sounding pickups Gibson offers
... except for metal.

Me too. I'd never {censored} with that set up. I own a '59RI and a '57BB myself and love those pickups, but that's me.

For what you're looking for I'd suggest a DiMarzio Super Distortion. Or if you want to stay Gibson, 500T

If you want to also change out the neck, I'd go BB Pro.

• Members

Thanks for the input, I'm thinking about the 500t.

Anyone have any experience with the seymour duncan invader or the sh-6 distortion?

The Invader is WAY too hot for what you're looking for. That thing was designed for all-out, downtuned rip-your-face-off gain. The cleans blow goats.

I've never heard the Distortion give good cleans, either.

• Members

The Invader is WAY too hot for what you're looking for. That thing was designed for all-out, downtuned rip-your-face-off gain. The cleans blow goats.

I've never heard the Distortion give good cleans, either.

Ah, I figured the invader was something like that just by reading the name.

Well, seems like I need to throw cleans out the door with what I'm looking for.

I suppose my tele can be rigged for my cleans.

• Members

Cleans don't have to go bye bye. Get an aggressive but not terribly hot bridge pickup and keep the stock neck pickup or at least get a neck pickup that isn't too radical. For cleans, either play the neck only or both pickups with the bridge rolled back.

• Members

Ah, I figured the invader was something like that just by reading the name.

Well, seems like I need to throw cleans out the door with what I'm looking for.

Not necessarily. Both the JB and the Rio Grande BBQ are hot humbuckers that do some very nice cleans. I have both and they're great pickups. I've used both pickups for heavy rock, and also in my R&B group and they work beautifully.

Archived