The Awesomeness of the Lawrence Welk Show

BigBone

• Members

Not positive but I seem to remember something about 1 of these guys guitars was made specially for him by Leo.

L. Welk shred

[YOUTUBE]PNqImXq3rY4[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]XiUsS04Hi7A[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]EMdS9ExnW-w[/YOUTUBE]

GERITOL

[YOUTUBE]cIwK4Ikl4U0[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Cool.

I just remembered how much Lawrence Welk sounded like my grandfather. I looked him (Welk) up on wikipedia, he was born/lived about 10 miles away from my grandfather in North Dakota....and they both are from German immigrant families. I wonder if they knew each other.

• Members

great stuff. And so wholesome

Indeed! :thu:

I loved my Grandfather dearly, but when I was at his house and that show was on the TV, I was horrified. It was like time at the funeral home for me. :eek: Please make it stop mommie. :cry:

But I never saw anything that cool on there before.

I especially liked the first 3 clips you posted. Great playing.

Thanks,

I really enjoyed those and learned that LW was a bit more hip than I recalled.

This thread gets an A+

• Members

That was great too. It more like the tripe I remember, but jeeze what a great irony.

I just went looking to see if there was any other way someone could interpret "one toke" and simply found this on Wiki:

"Brewer & Shipley

Background information

Genres Folk rock

Years active 1967

• Members

Hipsters loved to dis the Welk show because it was so 'uncool', but one cannot argue with the quality of musicianship when listening to Welk's band. They had to be top notch players to tackle the wide variety of tunes they played on the show.

• Members

The Levang article in VG is pretty cool, though he takes great pains to emphasize that the Welk show was a small part of his career as an LA based studio musician. While its corny as all heck, the Welk show had its moments and lives on forever, at least on midwestern PBS stations.

Archived