First Act Single Cut P90's - Impressions

Woody_in_MN

• Members

First Act offers these single cuts with P90 Alnico's from time to time at $49. I got this one on Friday, and played it a few times, I thought I would list my impressions.

THE GOOD: The guitar is light (I like this). It is a decent player. The setup was not bad, but I did do a truss adjustment of about 1/2 a turn that has improved play-ability. It plays about as well as a PRS SE I played this morning at GC (gasps from the cork sniffers.) The PUP's are OK - but not great. After bringing the bridge PUP up as close as possible to the strings - I started getting decent sustain. The guitar itself has good sustan - the weak link is the PUP's. A good word for FA customer service. The first one I got in "Surf Green" was damaged in shipment. FA sent a replacment right away, but they did ask for the damaged guitar back.

THE BAD: The PUP's are fairly noisy. The also sound treble-ey thru my Kustom HV65. The PUP's are OK for messing around - but if you want to do anything more serious plan on a PUP swap.

THE VERDICT: As a knock around guitar - after minor setup work - this one will work. It is a pretty good player. If 10 is the best playing guitar ever - this is a 7 - maybe even an 8. For any serious work - plan on at least a PUP swap.

FA_P90_1.JPG

FA_P90_2.JPG

FA_P90_3.JPG

- W

• Members

So is it safe to say that the P90's in this FA are not the same as the ones in a Sheena?

The PUP's in the $49 special are "Vintage Voiced Alnico's" - I think the Sheena has Alnico V's. My thought was to swap in the Sheena P90's you sold me. (I KNEW I would find a place for them.)

- W

• Members

an 8 out of 10, really?

that is pretty nice.

Yeah - you know it plays pretty nice! The first day I played it - I thought it was OK. But when I played it for a while tonight - it plays pretty nice. Between a 7 and 8. Close to my Gibson SG for playability (?).

- W

• Members

Yeah - you know it plays pretty nice! The first day I played it - I thought it was OK. But when I played it for a while tonight - it plays pretty nice. Between a 7 and 8. Close to my Gibson SG for playability (?).

- W

well it's not the first time a cheep fa guitar ended up being really sweet.

my lola for example.

and of course (o)(o)!

• Members

I'm not sure what "pole pieces" are. They are adjustable. The are described as "vintage voiced Alnico P90's"

- w

Nope (They're the "dots" under the string)and they're rod magnets, like a Fender (Jag) pickup. P-90s are two bar magnets, coil on top, screw polepieces.

Get rid of the .047 cap on the tone control-try an .o22. 250k tone control warms 'em up a bit. (My Westerberg has an old telecom .022 tone cap on the tone control, sounds humbuckerish w/the tone rolled off. w/the tone on "10", rolling the vol down gets some rick jangle, up to acoustic-like tones.)

• Members

Nope (They're the "dots" under the string)and they're rod magnets, like a Fender (Jag) pickup. P-90s are two bar magnets, coil on top, screw polepieces.

Get rid of the .047 cap on the tone control-try an .o22. 250k tone control warms 'em up a bit. (My Westerberg has an old telecom .022 tone cap on the tone control, sounds humbuckerish w/the tone rolled off. w/the tone on "10", rolling the vol down gets some rick jangle, up to acoustic-like tones.)

changing the cap will only change the amount of bass that the tone knob has when set to '0'. So a bigger cap = more bass when tone rolled off. :confused:

i'd say try 300's or 250's for a volume knob. That will help oodles.

Oh, and have you done the p90 comparison yet? i wanna hear your results :)

• Members

changing the cap will only change the amount of bass that the tone knob has when set to '0'. So a bigger cap = more bass when tone rolled off.
:confused:

i'd say try 300's or 250's for a volume knob. That will help oodles.

Oh, and have you done the p90 comparison yet? i wanna hear your results
:)

Give me a day or so - been kind of busy.

Thanks,

- W

• Members

^^^

OK. With my Kustom HV65 on medium volume, and low gain - I strummed a couple chords from my SX then my FA then my SX then my FA.

My Impression: The FA is a lot noisier. The FA PUP's are more trebble-ey, in fact the frequency reponse on the FA PUP's just seems narrower. So although these may be Alnicos - they are not very good ones. The SX just has much superior P90's.

- W

• Members

^^^

I have not played the MM for quite awhile, but the MM has a piercing quality. That is what I remember about the MM - it has great tone - a piercing quality that cuts thru. The P90's have a fuller quality. Someone described the P90 sound as "Live at Leeds" - that is a great way to describe it.

- W

Archived