What is it called in music when...

Phait

• Members

...there is a melody/key shift behind a main melody (like a vocal), which creates a different impression upon the listener?

Hard for me to explain. Like, let's say you're listening to a song and the tone of the lyrics or song feels alright cause there's a particular bass melody behind it, but then you shift the key of it or make it minor, suddenly the song feel darker (or different)?

What made me think of this is Aerosmith's "Livin' On The Edge". Especially the part in the beginning:

00:39 "We're livin' on the edge" starts, the familiar guitar bending, the sliding bass

00:50 the bass shifts, creating a different tone, seems a bit darker - it's subtle

00:56 the bass goes back to it's normal riff

• Members

The bass doesn't change at all.

I believe what you're referring to is called "pedal point". The bass stays on the same note, but the chords above it change. I'm not hearing any shift in the bass in that section whatsoever.

• Members

The bass doesn't change at all.

I believe what you're referring to is called "pedal point". The bass stays on the same note, but the chords above it change. I'm not hearing any shift in the bass in that section whatsoever.

I'll have to listen again. *EDIT* Yeah it's the chord changes. Doh :)

• Members

"Modulation" is just the musical jargon for changing keys or, as in some of the examples of the track you cited, having a background harmony shift behind a line.

When this happens behind a single note, that note's called a "pedal point", as Kurdy said, but I don't know of a comparable term for a moving line against a shifting background, as @ :39~ 1:01.

• Members

Music words to know:

drone: a tone in a musical composition which does not change, while other notes and chords below it DO change. Examples of instruments which provide drones: bagpipes, sitar, banjo

ostinato: a repeating figure by the bass instrument; while the bass repeats a certain line over and over, the higher-up instruments play all kinds of melody and chords on top of it.

harmonic ambiguity: When a song leads you to believe that it's in a certain key or meter.... but then, as other instruments enter, you see that you were fooled, because the implied harmonies and/or rhythms are different than you'd first guessed.

tutti: Italian for "all" or "everybody". This refers to a place in an arrangement in which ALL the instruments come in and play together.

• Members

I believe what you're referring to is called "pedal point". The bass stays on the same note, but the chords above it change.

Yes, that's exactly what's happening at 0:50 in that video. First the chord is D with a D in the bass too, then the chord goes to a Bb while the bass remains on a D note.

--Ethan

• Members

First chord is D5

The other chords are:

Bm7 (/D)

A

Bb5

G5

D5

F#7 #9

Bbmaj7

F5

A5

F5

A5

F6

Em7/#11

Ebmaj7#11 (no 3rd)

The long D part at the beginning can be described as Pedal Point - Bass Pedal Point to be precise. But the later chord change is a chord change

And if, as Phait does, the bass is classified as riff, then it could also be called Ostinato Bass

Archived