Why do shredders like superstrats?

Spike Li

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Some of it was obvious hero emulation. I mainly played a Les Paul up until about 1986. My favorite band: Thin Lizzy.

As instrumental rock music became more prevalent, I became aware that the current crop of Van Halen inspired super-strats players were getting tones out of their H-S-H and H-S-S guitars that I couldn't quite achieve with my Les Paul style guitars. They could get in the ballpark of my tone though, so I started to emulate the guitars that they were playing. I grew to prefer a tricked out Strat style guitar with big frets, flatter fingerboards, hot H-S-H pickup configuration, and a Floyd Rose.

I did have an amazing Heritage Les Paul style guitar with a Kahler Spyder that I played quite often during that time. This is THE GUITAR that I could kill myself for trading.

• Members

Most of the "shredders" were dirt poor and those guitars were affordable at the time.

False, check out old catalogs...a nice Jackson, Charvel in the 80's was nearly twice as much than what you'd pay for a brand new Gibson standard and much more expensive than a shitty fender strat.

A US custom soloist Jackson today is more expensive than a crap Gibson classic LP...and should be!

• Members

My theory is its the overall tone that made these super strats so popular. When you put a humbucker in an alder body strat, it just thickens things up so nice. Its hard for me to explain but you can acheive a 'soaring' sound that's so perfect for shred that you sometimes can't get from other guitars. Maximum tone and maximum playability are the keys to a great super strat.

• Members

What do you mean?

Do you know how much I want a shred guitar with these tonal qualities?

I have a Strat loaded with H-S-H Dimarzio pickup combination with a Mega-switch, I can get glassy, twangy, and ultra-smooth high gain sounds out of it. Here is the pickup combination diagram from the Stewmac:

3484_detail.gif

This may be a solution for you.

• Members

Well, I think for two reasons:

1. They are anatomically correct, which means nothing gets in the way of the shredder's playing. One must here remember the practice regimen for which shredders are notorious - if you play for 12-14 hours a day you want all the help you can get in terms of avoiding strain on muscles etc.

2. Bolt-on gives the most immediate response to one's playing, which is important when playing fast.