Spike Li

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Well, I think for two reasons:

1. They are anatomically correct, which means nothing gets in the way of the shredder's playing. One must here remember the practice regimen for which shredders are notorious - if you play for 12-14 hours a day you want all the help you can get in terms of avoiding strain on muscles etc.

2. Bolt-on gives the most immediate response to one's playing, which is important when playing fast.

bolt on means you can see those screws on the back of the neck that connects to the guitar, right?

Exuse my leck of intel, imma noob.

• Members

Forgive my noobishness, but what exactly is a compound radius fretboard?
:confused:

A compound radius means that the curvature of the fretboard is greater at the nut than it is at the last fret. Another way to describe it is that the neck gets flatter the higher up you go. Some also refer to this as a conical fretboard. Its somewhat subtle, but it makes playing more comfortable and bends easier (the string travels less vertical distance to reach pitch, or so I've heard).

• Members

EVH.

He did it, so that's where many people started. The strat body is lighter and more easy to wield on stage, strats have whammy bars, and it's easier to swap parts in and out. Without EVH, no super strat.

He was hardly the first. I had a 68 Strat I put humbuckers in in 1975. He may have made it popular, but others were definitely doing it before him.

At the time, there weren't a lot of options for guitars with trems. For better or for worse, the Strat was fairly cheap and had the best trem, so it was the natural pick for a guitar to beef up.

• Members
hpim13991.jpg front x3
hpim13981.jpg back x3
hpim14021.jpg group

I actually prefer the 24.75 scale ('89s) and the 25" scale ('94 & '09) on my Carvins.
7 string is 25.5 .

What I like about superstrats.
24 frets.
Easy access to that 24th fret.
No heel.
Humbuckers instead of singles. (No hum. Fuller sounding)
Floyd Rose!! (still the most stable tuning, imho.)
Prefer 12", 14", or 16" fretboard radius. (hate Fender 9", 10" radius)
Balance well. No neck dive.
Jumbo frets.
Super low action.
Thinner neck profile.

Yes, you can shred on any guitar. LP, Tele, Jag, PRS, Semi-hollow, etc...

But, to me a superstrat was designed with shred in mind.

Just like Ducati and Harley.
Both HD Corp. products.
Ones designed to be fast and articulate.
The other more laid back and loose.

• Members
Forgive my noobishness, but what exactly is a compound radius fretboard?
:confused:

Example is a Parker Fly.

The radius (curve) of the fretboard at the 1st fret is 10".
The radius of the fretboard at the 24th fret is 13" .

Jackson I believe uses
12" at the 1st fret.
16" at the 24th.

• Members

Not all shredders were 25,5 though :)

Kramer NightSwan '88

DSC01941.jpg

Kramer ProAxe '90

DSC01958.jpg

??th feature bolt on 24,75 scale,mahogany bodies(rare for SS) and 24 frets.

I kinda prefer more classic SS though:)

Like this one :thu:

DSC02001.jpg

Bolt on guitars gives you the option to shim the neck so that you can achieve a perfect angle between your body and the locking tremolo,this is very important.
This is why most wanky bar equipped guitars features bolt on necks.

Of course there are many neck through shredders too like Jackson Soloists,StageMasters etc etc but the option to shim the neck isnt available on them as you can easily understand,this is why i dont really like them.

• Members

And someone mentioned Yngwie shredding on a strat. True, but he scalloped his fretboard, which is essentially like putting MASSIVE frets on it.

I love Strats and Teles. Love them! But I can play much faster much longer when I play one of my Jackson/Charvels.

Yngwie scalloped his board because he didn't like the feel of fret board under his fingers. It had nothing to do with speed. He even says on an interview clip that it makes playing fast MORE difficult.

Check out speed kills by Michael angelo batio and he shreds the same on every guitar he plays. And he plays a vintage strat in one of the clips.

[YOUTUBE]rEvRDC-mGmg[/YOUTUBE]

Personally I don't believe the hype about this guitar plays faster than that. It's all what you practice on.

• Members

Lol, I love how he has all these really valuable guitars just sitting onto of each other in i big pile :lol:

*Grabs a neck and yanks it out of a pile of strats, bashing it against others on the way out* "oh this is an all original hand made 1954 strat, one of the first ever made, probably worth a bajillion dollars" *chucks it back on top of the pile*

• Members

I kinda prefer more classic SS though
:)

Like this one
:thu:

DSC02001.jpg

Bolt on guitars gives you the option to shim the neck so that you can achieve a perfect angle between your body and the locking tremolo,this is very important.

This is why most wanky bar equipped guitars features bolt on necks.

Of course there are many neck through shredders too like Jackson Soloists,StageMasters etc etc but the option to shim the neck isnt available on them as you can easily understand,this is why i dont really like them.

Speaking of which, check out what (ESP) Edwards is now offering.

b.gif
It just needs some black and white pin striping.

b.gif
The Jackson headstock returns to ESP!!!

b.gif
Fender (or Charvel) who?

• Members
Speaking of which, check out what (ESP) Edwards is now offering.

b.gif
It just needs some black and white pin striping.

b.gif
The Jackson headstock returns to ESP!!!

b.gif
Fender (or Charvel) who?

lol yeah these japs know how to make some money,thats for sure :thu:
Gibson should take a few lessons..