Guitar Center Trade-in Values?

Noise...

• Members

What if it's a piece of gear that isn't in their system? Like the Washburn I brought to them?

You will still get the wholesale, not retail, price. They know guitar pricing a lot better than you and can pretty accurately assess the wholesale and retail value of any guitar you bring them, even if GC doesn't carry it.

• Members

You will still get the wholesale, not retail, price. They know guitar pricing a lot better than you and can pretty accurately assess the wholesale and retail value of any guitar you bring them, even if GC doesn't carry it.

Then the salesman botched mine, because $150 is a joke. Wholesale the Washburn should be put somewhere in the $600-$700 range. Trying to pass it off as $300 wholesale is disgusting. Unless they truly do get those guitars they are selling for $900+ for $300...then I stand corrected.

The salesman also, as I said, insulted Washburn as a whole. I thought that was pretty unprofessional.

(I wasn't looking for retail at all. I would have even settled if he had offered me like $350 just because I wouldn't have to ship it. But $150?)

• Members

Then the salesman botched mine, because $150 is a joke. Wholesale the Washburn should be put somewhere in the $600-$700 range. Trying to pass it off as $300 wholesale is disgusting. Unless they truly do get those guitars they are selling for $900+ for $300...then I stand corrected.

The salesman also, as I said, insulted Washburn as a whole. I thought that was pretty unprofessional.

(I wasn't looking for retail at all. I would have even settled if he had offered me like $350 just because I wouldn't have to ship it. But $150?)

I think they were figuring $300 used retail on your guitar, which would mean $150 for you. There is no strict formula for for determining trade in value other than deciding what they realistically think they can sell the piece for in a reasonable amount of time, then giving you 50-60% The reality is, resale on high end Washburns is really tough, as you may be realizing by now. Any bites at $400?

• Members

I think they were figuring $300 used retail on your guitar, which would mean $150 for you. There is no strict formula for for determining trade in value other than deciding what they realistically think they can sell the piece for in a reasonable amount of time, then giving you 50-60% The reality is, resale on high end Washburns is really tough, as you may be realizing by now. Any bites at $400?

Yeah I have had several bites, even had several at $450, just no one has pulled the trigger yet.

I understand that it isn't a brand people will instantly bond to like Jackson or Ibanez (as far as shredders go), which is why it is priced the way it is. If it were a Jackson or Ibanez it would be at least $200-$300 more simply due to brand recognition alone. The neck, quality and basically everything about the guitar right down to the pickups is high quality. Not by Washburn standards, but by any standards.

But I do understand people's hesitation to buy, that's why I dropped the price so far down from my initial asking price. I can't really go below $400 though, since I'm already losing money at this price. Any lower and I would rather just stick it in a closet.

• Members

The 2 answers that are closest to the truth are .25-.30 of new pricing and .60 of cost.

They usually buy at about half of their cost if it is something they currently sell. If it is something they don't sell and are not familiar with, usually even lower than that because they are guessing at value at that point.

• Members

You buy a guitar that LISTS for $1500, for $1,000 - $1200 plus taxes and "upgrades"... they only paid $750 wholesale... they hope to sell it for $500 as used... they want to make money on it so they'll give you $300 - $400 if it's something they can sell really fast and it's in "like new" shape, much less if it might sit for a while or has marks on it.

• 8 months later...
  • Members

I've been told by more then one person that if you accept Paypal through Ebay for someone to pay for your auction, that Paypal will not release your money until the buyer gives you good feedback and acknowledges they received the item you were selling.

Is there any truth to this? If there is, that is {censored}ed and a perfectly good reason not to sell on Ebay. How is a policy like that even remotely fair?

Yes this is VERY true I just sold my apogee online with ebay. Not only does ebay take a cut so does Paypal. Ilost about 20% I had to go ahead and ship my product not knowing if the person truly paid or not. Now paypal says, "we have the money and when we get a good review we will release it" WTF is that. all the person has to do is say no this sucks give me my money back and im out shipping and everything else. Not cool I will NEVER use that system again.I told them that and they didnt care at all. Oh and dont fall for the upload a tracking number and we will release it sooner. Well I did that and it was still 30 days before I saw a penny.. The customer had the product for close to 15 days... just not a good thing yeah ebay went to SH&%

• Members

Yes this is VERY true I just sold my apogee online with ebay. Not only does ebay take a cut so does Paypal. Ilost about 20% I had to go ahead and ship my product not knowing if the person truly paid or not. Now paypal says, "we have the money and when we get a good review we will release it" WTF is that. all the person has to do is say no this sucks give me my money back and im out shipping and everything else. Not cool I will NEVER use that system again.I told them that and they didnt care at all. Oh and dont fall for the upload a tracking number and we will release it sooner. Well I did that and it was still 30 days before I saw a penny.. The customer had the product for close to 15 days... just not a good thing yeah ebay went to SH&%

20%?

I just sold a $1400 guitar last month and paid a total of $63 in fees (PayPal and eBay combined), which comes out to about 4.5%

The holding your money thing is only for newer sellers with under a certain amount of feedback or if they've had recent bad feedback. Not sure the exact rules, but I'm sure you can find them in the terms and conditions on their site somewhere.

Like it or not, eBay is your best bet for getting the most exposure for whatever you're selling, and most of the time you will get more for your gear there even after they bend you over for all the fees...

Archived