Rush snubbed AGAIN by the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

deanmass

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

"....Rush is no Fun????

Jeez, tell that to a 'Million -Skillion' fans around the world... Take a Gander at the audience participation.... the Drum kit, the mastery of Geddy's Jazz bass playing, Leif's tasteful guitar work.

Probably right now there are Canadian Music Commandos vectoring in on your location to admonish you for Musical Indifference and Vagaries...."

The problem for me with Bands like Rush is that they seem frozen in time.

Same old sounds, same old playing styles.

Nothing new or innovative.

Like most rock music, whatever the sub-genre, it seems to be looking

back to some imagined "golden period" when rock ruled the airwaves.

I'm sure they're very talented musicians and probably really nice guys,

but their music doesn't impress me in any way.

It's all been done before.

• Members
The problem for me with Bands like Rush is that they seem frozen in time.

Same old sounds, same old playing styles.

Nothing new or innovative.

Like most rock music, whatever the sub-genre, it seems to be looking

back to some imagined "golden period" when rock ruled the airwaves.

I'm sure they're very talented musicians and probably really nice guys,

but their music doesn't impress me in any way.

It's all been done before.

good point,,,'frozen in time', like Triumph, I just used to love that 'Northern Sound' from Canada, blowing down like a chilly, Icy, refreshing, wind.
I have to agree, even tho' I love them none the least...Plenty of Nostalgia,
But nothing recently fresh for the musical palate.
Then again , being a Song Writer, I loved the Beatles during their 'Revolver/Rubber Soul period the most,
but I will always love them for being The Beatles.:thu:

• Members
you are just like my wife, she often comes home with some bargain stuff, it's disgusting, recently she bought brazilian steaks, it tasted like Ethiopian alpine boots

If I am like your wife, then she must be tall, slim, elegant, cultured, and able to cook in the boudoir, as well as the kitchen:thu:
However, If she can put up with you, she will surely be Beatified by the Holy Catholic Church.:;)

• Members

Hmmm

Where do you draw the line between stuck in time and 'signature style'?

I'm honestly not certain you could state that Rush were ever "stuck in time". Compare the first album, to the next and the next and you can hear the fact that they anything but stood still. That's just my opinion anyway. You can always hear Geddy's playing & tone as signature much like Chris Squire. Same with the rest of them.

Like I have stated, I am certainly no Rush fanatic but can't really understand how anyone could deny them the objective praise they deserve despite whether they're a "favorite" or not.

• Members
If I am like your wife, then she must be tall, slim, elegant, cultured, and able to cook in the boudoir, as well as the kitchen:thu:

However, If she can put up with you, she will surely be Beatified by the Holy Catholic Church.:
;)

no no, wifey is garden designer of best heritage and with a pedigree, a decent person with best manners and a heart I haven`t seen the the end of it, in other words, she is not a music producer

• Members

OK...somebody explain why Electric Light Orchestra hasnt made the RNRHOF yet

Were they really that influential?

They had several hit albums and singles...alot of it was late-Beatles derived.

I don't know...I just don't see where they were as important as some of the other bands who aren't in, like Deep Purple, or King Crimson...or Rush. :)

• Moderators

I think ELO were hugely influential. While it's clear Lynne was lifting the Beatles, his take became a thing on its own. And the "thing" is widely borrowed, stolen, lifted and inferred. Just like any good "thing".

But actually, even though I'm one of the biggest Rush detractors, I think they should be in the Hall Of Fame. Love them or hate them, they pioneered their own "thing" that had effected a lot of musicians.

I may not be happy about it, but it is true.

• Members

I don't know...I just don't see where they were as important as some of the other bands who aren't in, like Deep Purple, or King Crimson...
or Rush
:)

They have Billboard's record for "Band with most singles without ever reaching #1" (James Brown is "Artist With most number of singles without hitting #1")

When you look back on their body of work, they had a gazillion singles, most of which charted well....Some people didnt know that the same band had done all of them..................

Influential? Who knows? But they were certainly pioneering: They were always experimenting with new sounds and gadgets -- Always looking forward - If some 'new musical technology' came out, they used it. ELO was one of the few bands of the 70s that immediately jumped on the synthesizer and effect wagon (later on, the vocoder) with open arms, and left behind older stalwarts (they rarely used Hammond B3)

• Members

ELO is certainly deserving of more recognition than they get, but, I can see why they get overlooked...They never seemed to get much traction after New World Record and Out of the Blue...These are 2 of my favorite albums of everything.

• Members

I am invading from the effects forum HCFX, and would like to say that RUSH FOOKIN RULES you hose heads! How can anyone watch that Limelight video and not see the pure awesomeness of this band.

I saw Rush live on the Signals tour and they had Rory Gallagher opening for them. I think Rush is "too good" to make it into the hall of fame. The hall of fame is for ass kissers and rush would never do that.

• Members

ELO is certainly deserving of more recognition than they get, but, I can see why they get overlooked...They never seemed to get much traction after New World Record and Out of the Blue...These are 2 of my favorite albums of everything.

Ive heard this exact thing in other discussions, but they forgot that ELO charted in the US Top 10 all throughout the 70s with songs like "Cant Get It Out Of My Head" in 1974, "Evil Woman" in 1975, "Dont Bring Me Down" in 1979, and "Hold On Tight" in 1981 - all from other albums...Theres a lot more singles from other albums that were in the Top20, including "Strange Magic" and "Shine A Little Love"...(Not to mention a ton of staple AOR radio songs that never charted but got tons of airplay, such as "Fire On High", "Ma Ma Ma Belle", and "Showdown")

ELO is credited to having 45 singles released....thats a lot for a band not in the HoF (for reference, Queen had 48 singles and quite a number of extra years of existence that ELO didnt)

• Members

Ive heard this exact thing in other discussions, but they forgot that ELO charted in the US Top 10 all throughout the 70s with songs like "Cant Get It Out Of My Head" in 1974, "Evil Woman" in 1975, "Dont Bring Me Down" in 1979, and "Hold On Tight" in 1981 - all from other albums...Theres a lot more singles from other albums that were in the Top20, including "Strange Magic" and "Shine A Little Love"...(Not to mention a ton of staple AOR radio songs that never charted but got tons of airplay, such as "Fire On High", "Ma Ma Ma Belle", and "Showdown")

ELO is credited to having 45 singles released....thats a
lot
for a band not in the HoF (for reference, Queen had 48 singles and quite a number of extra years of existence that ELO didnt)

Yeah, I know all the singles and most of the albums, but nothing Lynne ever wrote really knocked me out. This is just my opinion, but to my ears, a lot of the "classic" period songs sounded very similar to each other.

Although, I did like a few of the quirkier songs like "Poker" and "Mister Blue Sky".

• Members
Featuring Mark Lindsay?????

Oh, the joy and rapture they evoked from me as a dewy eyed teen-aged lad.

Alas, 'Kicks just keep gettin' harder to Find'
:cry:

I find mine most frequently in the seat of me britches. :p

• Members
Featuring Mark Lindsay?????

Oh, the joy and rapture they evoked from me as a dewy eyed teen-aged lad.

Alas, 'Kicks just keep gettin' harder to Find'
:cry:

[rant]The one and only. Folks tend to forget about them. Go back and listen to their stuff from '63 through '67. They rocked pretty hard for that era, had a pretty good run of hits and were regulars on a couple of different TV series (they also had a guest appearance on Batman!).

IMHO some of their music was ahead of it's time (listen to "Louie Come Home," released in '64 and it sounds a lot more like something that would have come out after being influenced by the Beatles' Revolver in '66).

FWIW - My older sister had a huge crush on Mark Lindsay and had a scrap book full of Raiders memorabilia. I wonder what happened to all that stuff???

Oh...I think Rush & ELO both deserve to be in the RRHOF as well but I think the whole hall of fame thing is a scam anyway.[/rant]

• Members

".... How can anyone watch that Limelight video and not see the pure awesomeness of this band..."

They're good musos, for sure, and probably really nice guys but...

I just had a squiz at the limelight vid on Youtube and words that

come to mind are cliched, passe, boring.

There's a Spinal Tap feel to the overall sound and feel of that song

that borders on embarrassing.

For me, that kind of music was already old hat by the mid 70's.

Show me something new they've done that doesn't sound so cliched,

and I might think it's OK.

Archived