Wall hangers vs multi stand

doppelbanger

• Members

I like both styles of massive public guitar storage. I have a 7 stand that is great. It's in the corner, so I doubt it will ever get knocked over.

Having 7 guitars out in the open looks cool either way. They are way more likely to all get played this way which is cool for me because I don't have a #1. Neck shape are all over the board too.

• Members

I like wall hangers, I used these to hang mine up.

883049019895.jpg

they're rated at 25lbs. The 4' track they mount on is rated for 300lbs.

I got mine from Lowes, I think even target sells them but I'm not 100% sure.

I used a stud finder to mount these and it happened to be on a horizontal stud, then I stuck some pretty hefty screws every few inches. I think that whole wall would have to go down before the guitars do. I live minutes from San Andreas Fault and I'm not worried about it... the stacked up amps on the other hand :eek:

oh and for the nitro guitars I wrapped the hooks with old cotton from t-shirts, I don't know how this rubber reacts to nitro, but I had no intention of finding out.

also, I don't like regular guitar wall hangers. I had one come off a wall before when I used it with the screws it came with. Luckily the guitar just got a dent.

• Members

Abrasive, Thinking about making one of these. Did you glue the joints or just pressure fit? Thanks.

No need for glue.

I used 3/4" PVC electrical conduit, PVC plumbing fixtures, and 3/4" foam insulation. There was some cool rubber insulation at Home Depot that would have looked better, but I wasn't confident that it wouldn't damage the finish, so I went with plain foam.

• Members

I could see single guitar stands falling over, but to knock over even the cheap plastic multi stand I made would require a dedicated effort. There's no way you're going to accidentally knock it over, unless you've got extremely spastic legs.

One made out of more suitable materials would be even more of a non-issue. Look at the design. It's basically a couch for guitars. How often do you accidentally knock over your couch? Especially if the back is against a wall.

I was thinking of those 2 level tripod stands they have at the local mom & pop. They take 4(I believe) on the bottom and 3 on top and appear to be about as unstable as they could get.

• Members

So I have 4 guitars and 2 basses. I only have 3 single guitar stands and want to take care of this. Should I get wall hangers, guitars would be stored in my spare room, or one of those stands that holds 5 or 7 guitars? I'm leaning towards hangers but still want your opinions.

Wal*Mart sell a nice heavy duty black rubber coated hanger that fits my strat perfectly.

I like wall hangers since they display the guitar well and are out of reach from toddlers.

• Members

I used to be a wall hanger guy. I put them up and took them down in our first two apartments. But right before we moved into our new apartment, I was playing one of my guitars waiting for my wife to be ready for us to leave. She said she was ready to go, so I hung the guitar (up high on the wall), turned around and walked out the door, and the cable got wrapped around my foot.

It pulled the guitar off the wall, slamming down on the amp, and hitting the (carpeted) floor.

Fortunately, the nitro was fully cured. It made a black smudge on the bottom of the guitar by the strap, and that was it.

The amp on the other hand, has a gash in the tolex and a dent. I guess Hard Ash > Red Oak.

Now I'm a multi-stand guy. I got a Road Runner 5-stand right after they discontinued the one with the folding metal frame holder, and I brought in a printout from the site to GC. I got the new one (with the plywood-covered-with-fuzz holder) for the price of the old one, $99 I think. It's nice, vintage looking, nitro safe, and it keeps the guitars from banging into each other.

• Members

I used to be a wall hanger guy. I put them up and took them down in our first two apartments. But right before we moved into our new apartment, I was playing one of my guitars waiting for my wife to be ready for us to leave. She said she was ready to go, so I hung the guitar (up high on the wall), turned around and walked out the door, and the cable got wrapped around my foot.

:eek: Happily it didn't end up like Mesa/Kramer's Les Paul. I never hang mine with cables in them for just this reason.

• Members

It pulled the guitar off the wall, slamming down on the amp, and hitting the (carpeted) floor.

Fortunately, the nitro was fully cured. It made a black smudge on the bottom of the guitar by the strap, and that was it.

The amp on the other hand, has a gash in the tolex and a dent. I guess Hard Ash > Red Oak.

Now I'm a multi-stand guy. I got a Road Runner 5-stand right after they discontinued the one with the folding metal frame holder, and I brought in a printout from the site to GC. I got the new one (with the plywood-covered-with-fuzz holder) for the price of the old one, $99 I think. It's nice, vintage looking, nitro safe, and it keeps the guitars from banging into each other.

Do you still leave the cables plugged in?

• Members

For the homemade multistand,might put sand in the bottom section to give it some more weight.Thoughts?Yay or nay?

Yay - I like the PVC idea, I happen to have a ton laying around. On the stuff I've made in the past with it, like target stands, I weighed it with sand, glued any permanent joints (they have a way of working loose otherwise), and use steel pins on the joints I want to be able to take apart later. Another possibility, if you're worried about tipping, would be to fasten it to the wall with a strap, like how you earthquake proof a bookcase.

• Members

Wal*Mart sell a nice heavy duty black rubber coated hanger that fits my strat perfectly.

I like wall hangers since they display the guitar well and are out of reach from toddlers.

These are good. I just bought 5 more of them today. They sell for $1.97 each and they do not affect nitro finishes. My Gibson has been hanging on one since I got it and the finish is fine.

I have a 7 guitar rack too but it takes up too much space. My music room is small so keeping the guitars on the wall doesn't use up any real estate.

I've been hanging them there for over 5 years and not one has ever fallen off. Plus it looks cool having them all displayed.

What use is having a bunch of guitars if you don't look cool? ;)

• Members

i'd love to do wall hangers but unfortunately... my mancave is in our finished basement which was finished on a budget so its got composite wall panels instead of real finished walls... and my wife wont let me take over a room upstairs where the nice walls are... i still don't understand why we need a den and a living room... what good is a living room with no TV

The secret is learning to test your wife's limit.

While you wife is out start a campfire in the den , while working the BBQ meats delight. Then carefully decorate one of the walls with empty or loaded marshal 412's. While blasting sweet home Alabama without your shirt on and American flag bandanna with your home made cut offs on, while drinking a tall boy. Now when she see's you shes probably going to freak out . . . that is until you apologize with a 500 dollar gift certificate to the Nebraska furniture warehouse. See how she reacts to that, that will see if you can move to a permanent state of guitars hanging in den from sting swings.

• Members

i have several wall hangers and a 7 guitar multi stand.

i like my guitars on the walls better because you dont have to worry about knocking the bodies together when you take them out.

the only guitar i would ever worry about on a wallhanger would be a tele, b/c of the headstock... so the teles go on the multi stand.

Archived