Found an old record player with tubes - any tips on how to salvage it?

super56k

• Members

I was helping clean out a storage space for my dad, and tucked deep away in a pile of stuff was an old record player (a Lafayette model 210).

Inside it I found two 12AX? Tele-tone branded tubes and four Hilco branded 12AQ5 tubes. Also, as you can see from the pics, various components on the board. And best of all, one chipped vinyl album of I Started as a Child by Bill Cosby.

Anyone got any advice about figuring out what's what in this? I'm going to try out the 12AX?? tubes in a guitar amp to see if they still work. The record player itself is about trashed so I was thinking of salvaging components off of it like the caps and resistors, or... maybe looking into converting it into a guitar amplifier? I really don't know what I'm doing here though.

Anyone whose salvaged/converted something like this have any advice?

And of course... PICS:

Pic2.jpg

IMG_0730.jpg

Pic1.jpg

Pic3.jpg

• Members

+1 on everything said already. Also, poking around inside an amp can be hazardous , even deadly. Especially if you are inexperienced. You might read up on some safety procedures if you need to.

You might find out it's value first before cannibalizing it.

Indeed. I think the best piece of advice is that if you're gonna be poking around inside electricals, make sure it's unplugged :thu:

Also, SCORE!

• Members

+1 on everything said already. Also, poking around inside an amp can be hazardous , even deadly. Especially if you are inexperienced. You might read up on some safety procedures if you need to.

You might find out it's value first before cannibalizing it.

+ 100!

WARNING! - Please Read this Information Carefully:

The projects described in these pages utilize POTENTIALLY FATAL HIGH VOLTAGES. If you are in any way unfamiliar with high voltage circuits or are uncomfortable working around high voltages, PLEASE DO NOT RISK YOUR LIFE BY BUILDING THEM. Seek help from a competent technician before building any unfamiliar electronics circuit. While efforts are made to ensure accuracy of these circuits, no guarantee is provided, of any kind!

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK: THE WEBMASTER, PROJECT COORDINATOR, PROJECT CONTRIBUTORS AND WEB SPACE PROVIDER EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM ALL LIABILITY FOR INJURY OR PROPERTY DAMAGE RESULTING FROM THIS INFORMATION! ALL INFORMATION IS PROVIDED 'AS-IS' AND WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.

[CLICK HERE AND READ THE SAFETY DOCUMENT!]

http://www.ax84.com/hivoltage.html

• Members

well, those 12ax7's are still air tight, the getters aree still metallic, and hell, theyre barely even faded. You have a good find therer.

I had a chance to try out one of the 12ax7's last night, and it was very a noticeable improvement over a stock EHX 12ax7. I'm going to try out the other today to see if it has about the same results.

I'm still digging for information on this record player, but I haven't found much of anything. The same goes for searching 'Tele-tone' tubes. I'll probably ask a local amp tech if he could shed much info on them or the record player.

And thanks for all the tips about the dangers involved. Beyond guitar electronics repairs my electronics experience is about none so I've been careful while looking in this.

• Members

It might have potential...my tube record player se 6L6, 5y3gt, and 6av6 (1/2 of a 12ax7) with a mic circuit...just plugged in....eventually needed a cap and filter job and had minor tweed mod...loves me everyday.
:thu:

Nice, that gives me some hope. I might run this by an amp tech to see if he thinks the circuit in mine has any potential for guitar use. At this point I'd love to just find a schematic as it would make it so much easier for him to see what I have.

• Members

Nice, that gives me some hope. I might run this by an amp tech to see if he thinks the circuit in mine has any potential for guitar use. At this point I'd love to just find a schematic as it would make it so much easier for him to see what I have.

Are Sam's Photofacts still around?

• Members

I'm seeing two transformers in the fourth picture. One is mounted to the speaker frame, and is obviously the output transformer, the other doesn't look like it's mounted to the chassis at all, which is why I wouldn't guess it's a PT either. I thought maybe an OT for the ferrite speaker next to it. 6 x 12V = 72V. Throw a resistor in there, and you've got a nice series string setup.

There's also a zillion fat wires going to the speaker, which has me thinking field coil, but that's way out of character for an amp that has 9-pin tubes and separate bass and treble knobs.

I'd probably just harvest the preamp tubes, and maybe a few of the coupling caps if they look interesting, and junk it.

What would you use a 12AQ5 tube for? I know 6AQ5's were used in some Musicmaster Bass amps, but I can't think of any amps that use untapped 12V filament tubes.

• Members

I'm seeing two transformers in the fourth picture. One is mounted to the speaker frame, and is obviously the output transformer, the other doesn't look like it's mounted to the chassis at all, which is why I wouldn't guess it's a PT either. I thought maybe an OT for the ferrite speaker next to it. 6 x 12V = 72V. Throw a resistor in there, and you've got a nice series string setup..

I dunno...what you say makes some sense...it could also be a choke, I suppose. I see a pretty good size wire wound resistor in there....it might be possible that one on the right is a power transformer and the resistor is the choke...but that could also be the dropping resistor for the fillaments..perhaps? If it is the PT, it sure as hell is small.

Archived