Carvin Ultra V, Floyd Rose, What Can You Tell Me

bonzo2

• Members

I have never even played a Carvin, Are they well made Guitars? I have a chance to trade for a 2007 Carvin Ultra V. I haven't seen pics yet but I'm told it has a Floyd Rose, coil tap and a few other goodies. The original trade was for the Carvin and a Peavey Tripple X combo amp for my 1982 Gibson XR1. The amp has now been sold so I need to come up with a cash price to ask for plus the Carvin but have no idea what the Carvin is worth. Lets assume the Carvin is in mint condition hardly played (as stated by the owner).

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

• Members

In my experience, being the owner of two Carvins (an acoustic and an electric) I will say without hesitation that they are extremely well made instruments. I've had my DC as my main guitar for 6 years now and I have yet to find another guitar that is a better playing instrument overall. The pickups do leave something to be desired, I swapped out my bridge for a Gibson Iommi humbucker, I'm still debating on the neck.

However the resale value of Carvins is not very high and is entirly dependent on the options on the guitar. If the Ultra V is stock I would peg it's resale value to be around $600. The floyd rose might add a little extra value, but the coil taps are standard on the instrument.

I'm not too sure on the value of the Gibson XR1, but it looks like Elderly Music just sold an '81 XR1 for $650, though it appears to be a factory second so yours is probably worth more than it.

http://www.elderly.com/items/30U-9783.htm

• Members

Luckily for you, most people think Carvins have {censored} for resale value. As a Carvin owner, that annoys me, but as a Carvin buyer, it'll be great if I ever decide to go for a used one. Value wise, I'd check ebay and print off a few auctions to show the person.

As for the guitar itself, expect a fantastic guitar. I own 2 Carvins and I've never played or touched a better guitar. Construction, materials, attention to detail, nothing else compares for less than 3 or 4 times the price.

• Members

WoW thanks for the quick reponses. Sounds like these Carvins are great Guitars. I was (am) trading the gibby as I just can't play it for long periods of time (weighs at almost 11lbs). I really didn't want to loose the coil tap function but the Crvin has that covered.

Thanks again!

• Members

I've owned about 15 Carvins and they have all been excellent. One thing to keep in mind is Carvins with Floyds don't automatically come with a locking nut. They both have to be specifically ordered. If you require a locking nut with your Floyd, make sure this V has one.

• Members

nothing else compares for less than 3 or 4 times the price.

:facepalm:

As everyone here knows, RC and I had polar opposite experiences with Carvin. You may get lucky like he did or unlucky like I did. I can name 100 guitars that were better than mine for half the price.

Roll the dice and find out I guess.

• Members

You're in luck. Somebody just traded a Carvin V in at my local store. I won't be able to play it until Monday. It has a Floyd Rose, and an ebony board. I'm not sure about coil taps. I can't wait to try it, because I doubt I'll get to play another unless I buy it.

• Members

:facepalm:

As everyone here knows, RC and I had polar opposite experiences with Carvin. You may get lucky like he did or unlucky like I did. I can name 100 guitars that were better than mine for half the price.

Roll the dice and find out I guess.

Always the little ray of sunshine, aren't ya? :rolleyes:

For the record, GCDEF had some problems with his Carvin. Honest, legitimate problems. But he's one guy. I can show you hundreds of frothing Carvin fans for every one that has a complaint. GCDEF is the exception, not the rule. We've got a few more Carvin haters around here, and I'm sure they'll be in to tell you how much Carvin sucks. The good thing is that your Ultra V is local, so you can hold it first and realize that I, like several others in this thread, speak the truth.

• Members

Always the little ray of sunshine, aren't ya?
:rolleyes:

For the record, GCDEF had some problems with his Carvin. Honest, legitimate problems. But he's one guy. I can show you hundreds of frothing Carvin fans for every one that has a complaint. GCDEF is the exception, not the rule. We've got a few more Carvin haters around here, and I'm sure they'll be in to tell you how much Carvin sucks. The good thing is that your Ultra V is local, so you can hold it first and realize that I, like several others in this thread, speak the truth.

I'm only here to provide both sides of the story. If you did it when you post, I'd have no reason to drop into most of these threads.

Please don't label me a hater. The haters are the ones that bash them with no experience or reason to do so. I'm a Carvin customer that had substantial bad luck with their guitars. The heart of our PA system is still a Carvin C1644P mixer, so I don't hate the company, I just want to let people know when they ask, that things can and do go wrong.

• Members

I got a new v220 about 2 years ago and its still my number one play'd guitar. The neck is the bom... I love it and the Floyd is excellent.

I've got 2 of those. One with a Floyd and the other being a hardtail. They are the most perfectly balanced guitar ever. And yes, the neck is the bomb.

• Members

I Just got my Carvin ultra v. its an all mahogany neck and body and nails Gibson tones, (though it can be a little too dark at times). It has lots of tonal options. The neck is on the thicker side of things and scale length is a tad bigger than your Gibson. The floyd is great and holds tune well. It's a fantastic guitar- I'd trade if it were me. Here's mine,

10831_531106925975_67402512_31406208_276

Archived