Name me some famous guitar players with small hands.

bloolight

• Members

Frederic Chopin had tiny little troll hands and he played the crap out of a piano, an even tougher accomplishment then playing giutar with small hands, in my opinion at least to play the way he did... so yes it can be done. How bad do you want it?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I also have small hands. Every now and again I wonder how different my playing would be or if i would greatly improve my playing with bigger hands/fingers..............but I then just think of Django Rheinhardt and the incredible lightning fast runs and just incredible technique he had with all of of what , two fingers. After that, size just doesn't seem quite as important and I just go back to practicing and just the all around love of playing!

• Members

Jimi did NOT have small hands. Very long fingers. I hate having small hands, but it's what I got, so I try to live with it. I also broke my left thumb many years ago and it doesn't bend at the last joint, so fretting with my thumb is all but impossible. It definitely makes it hard to play SRV stuff because he used his thumb on the left hand quite a bit.

However, one of the best guitarists that I know personally has extremely short, stubby little sausage fingers, so like all the others have said, you can go as far as anyone else.

• Members

I wouldnt think small hands would be problem with playing guitar. now if you were playing bass maybe.

I have long fingers and they work well on bass. I find it more difficult cramping them together to try and play chords on a guitar

Short fingers mean your reach suffers.

Skinny fingers can mean a lack of strength, as well as difficulty keeping adequate pressure on the strings when forming barre chords.

Short, skinny fingers mean all of the above.

Therefore, I stick to playing blues leads where chording is not the #1 job. :D

• Members

I think Prince has about as small hands as they come. He is what, 5'4". Did you see him at the Superbowl halftime show, or on SNL?

Oh yeah, I forgot about him. You know, he's so good at everything musical that he tries that its easy to forget that he's also a sickeningly good guitar player. He doesn't need hands to play the guitar, though...he just uses his cool.

• Members

I have it on pretty good authority (a bass player who played with Hendrix for a short time) that Jimi's hands were huge. That said, I suffer from the same problem as many others here -- I have the smallest hands and shortest fingers of any man I know. My wife's hands are considerably larger.

• Members

ME!

jk, but seriously, i have TINY hands, and i don't think it slows me down or makes me sloppy AT ALL. course, i practiced about 6 or 7 hours a day everyday last semester... maybe that's why my grades suck...

oh, and whoever said that the hendrix had small hands doesn't know what their talking about. the last section of his thumb could cover the entire width of the fret board at the 12th fret.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I have small hands, and it sucks. Make me feel better by listing some famous guitar players who also have small hands.
:wave:

. Peter Framton, Brian Setzer , Keith Richards , Roy Rogers , Bonnie Rait , Paul McCartney, Laurence Juber , Mike Dowling , Nils Lofgren , Arlen Roth , Greg Martin , Geroge Benson , Great Musicians

• Members

Shoulden't make that big of a deal for guitar. I can play either scale with no problem and have small hands but very good reach (I ues my pinky all the time). I would think it would be harder to play with really large hands.

Anyways all this talk about sausage has made me hungry.:love:

• 8 months later...
  • Members

i have kinda small hands i guess. i thought it was better to have larger hands, then i felt really stupid when i saw a guy lay his guitar on the ground and play with his toes!

its all about practice. don't worry about copying the greats in every single way, just do what works for you and make music your own. its more fun that way

Archived