how to get a Glossy neck

mark7171

• Members

How do you make the neck so it has a clearcoat like finish ? Is it just a bunch of coats of some kind of laquaer ? if so what kind? Might it be a Polyurathane clear coat from a rattle can. High end guitars usually have it done on maple necks. There has to be a easy way to mask off and spray/brush it yourself.

The smooth neck and fingerboard feel good to me. Dripping wet.

• Members

Had a Jeff Kendall with OJ II's. Wanted a Vision Gator with Bones wheels.

Was going to use a thick nitro cellulose rattle can on my strat's neck. What could it hurt.

my first pro deck was a yellow powell ripper with indy truck and slime balls on it, my last deck was a frankie hill with dead bolts, slime ball big balls, powell swiss bearings, scmitt stix silly stix rails, and sc cell blocks. i had everything in between from trackers to alvas to sma to dog towns to steadhams, i mean everything, my favorite was my double kick tribal hawk with tracker six track ultra lights, schmitt stix silly stix rails, vision purists, powell swiss bearings, and sc cell blocks ...man i wish i had the money i spent on skate boards...

• Members

go to reranch.com and read up on doing this. If you do it right then it will take up to a month for it to totally dry. I would honestly recommend probably using Poly for this, as it will be easier to apply, cures faster and won't be as 'sticky' as nitro. I highly doubt the difference between poly and nitro on just the neck will affect the tone.

Also, I have no idea what guitar you have other than it perhaps has an unfinished or satin maple neck. All the guitars I've experienced with unfinished/satiny type maple necks were pretty cheap and not worth the extra trouble of going for nitro just so that it will age properly like an expensive guitar.

• Members

I've been told that modern production poly finished satin necks can just be polished for a very glossy feel. For instance, you can take a MIM Standard with a very satin neck, polish it and that's the exact same finish as the higher end MIM Classic Players and Classic Series have, except usually with Fender, it it's going to be sold with a gloss finish, they'll shoot some amber tint on it.

Never tried it, but it makes perfect sense.

• Members

If you have a compressor go buy a gun at Lowes and some Belhans and you'll be in luck.

If that's not an option, Minwax makes a spray lacquer as well as a spray on poly that you can buy at Wal-Mart, Lowes or Home Depot.

Minwax also makes brush on versions of each, but I would advise against finishing a neck with a brush.

I have never used it, but I have used other Minwax products and they have a reputation for being easy to use and very nice.

Be sure to remove the old finish and clean your old neck very good before applying anything.

Spray some coats and sand and spray and sand some more. I tend to do a lot of thin coats - probably more then I need to - but I like a lot of depth in my finishes.

It's very easy to do, it just takes a little time.

If you have any questions feel free to message me.

• Members

I refinished my two squier bullet necks using deft high gloss in a can. I first sanded off the old finish, then applied MANY light coats, sanding lightly with 600 grit wet paper. After the final coat, I sanded with 1000 grit wet paper and finally finished it with rubbing compound. VERY glossy (just the way I like it).

Archived