$1000 amp, what would you buy?

timmay8612

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I need a fair amount of clean headroom so that there isn't a huge volume difference between my clean and dirty sounds. Most of my playing out we can assume the sound techs will be too incompetent to turn me up or down when I switch sounds, so dynamics are completely up to me as the player, which isn't necessarily the worst thing in the world.

I will be playing 90% of the time either in my bedroom or a mic'd gig situation if that helps. Sounds like the Deluxe won't quite fit the bill.

Seriously, the Egnator fits your bill perfectly. 1x12,30 watts, two channels (clean and dirty), the ability the blend between 6l6 and EL34 pwer tubes, built in 1-30watt attenuator, footswitchable reverb on both channels, very touch sensitive. So much more to tweak than meets the eye initially - bright and tight switches on each channel. Effects loop and Silent Recording Out. Feature wise, you are right there and slightly under budget. If you dig the tone (and I certainly do), I think it would be a good fit. Definitely a boutique type amp without the boutique price tag.

• Members

Bogner Alchemist is a little heavier, but would be great.

The Kustom Coupe '36 fits all those specs. You can find them used in the $400-500 range, too.

Agreed. The Bogner is also a sweet amp that deserves consideration. Nice cleans and nasty high gain tones.

• Members

Whats the consensus on the Bogner/Egnator suggestions versus a Budda Superdrive 18? There is one on craigslist in my area within my price range.

Will jumpering the channels of the deluxe give me some similar functionality to channel switching? Never used one of these before. Thanks guys!

Archived