$1000 amp, what would you buy?

timmay8612

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I play mostly clean or low gain and I don't think I've ever paid over $1,000 for an amp.

Right now my two favorites are my Fender Tweed Deluxe 5E3 clone and my Vox AC15H1TV. I don't have $1,000 in both of them... and the 5E3 weighs less than 30 lbs. Hell, I have a speakers in other amps that weigh almost 20lbs each.

:lol:

I'm definitely of the 'get an amp with outstanding cleans and add a pedal for dirt' camp though you could get an A/B switch and use with either amp... there's just be a big jump in volume if you set one 'channel' for clean and the other channel for dirty.

• Members

I play mostly clean or low gain and I don't think I've ever paid over $1,000 for an amp.

Right now my two favorites are my Fender Tweed Deluxe 5E3 clone and my Vox AC15H1TV. I don't have $1,000 in both of them... and the 5E3 weighs less than 30 lbs. Hell, I have a
speakers
in other amps that weigh almost 20lbs each.

I'm definitely of the 'get an amp with outstanding cleans and add a pedal for dirt' camp though you could get an A/B switch and use with either amp... there's just be a big jump in volume if you set one 'channel' for clean and the other channel for dirty.

I guess I've never played an amp/pedal combo that does this well, but I haven't experimented that much. Where should I start?

• Members

I guess I've never played an amp/pedal combo that does this well, but I haven't experimented that much. Where should I start?

Hell... I don't know... I've been playing and checking stuff out for 25 years and just figured out earlier this year how great the 5E3 is so I sure wouldn't take any advice from me.

• Members

But... I'd have to say the two amps I've been most impressed with in terms having a very decent clean and a very decent gain channel are the Mesa Lonestar Special and the Fender Super Sonic. Neither have my favorite gain OR my favorite clean, but for a one amp, no pedal option, those are two of the best I've tried.

Also to throw out there... I think if you order an amp from Ceriatone, he'll actually combine two amps for the different channels. Not sure how creative you can get, but I think I saw an amp on TDPRI a couple years ago where a guy had a Fender clean channel and a Dumble gain channel in the same head. Might limit your power amp section, but still... might be worth looking into though I doubt that would be a good way to save much weight.

• Members

You don't get better cleans, in my mind, than a Fender Deluxe Reverb RI. I bought mine because I wanted sparkling blackface cleans in a relatively light combo package. It's a single-channel amp (there are two channels, but you can't switch between them on the stock version), so I use pedals for dirt. I've found that the DRRI takes tubescreamer pedals well, and truly adores my Barber Direct Drive. I just adjust the pedal to make sure that my volume doesn't jump too much when I switch on the dirt.

The other amps that have been mentioned sound great, but this is the rig I'm using right now and it's served me well.

• Members

Is there such a thing as a good clean amp + pedal combo that sounds as good or better than a 2 channel option? I'm an overdrive/distortion pedal noob.

Depends on who you ask! I, personally, love the flexibility that comes with pedals. Back when I had a dual-channel Mesa Rect-O-Verb, I quickly found that I preferred pedal overdrive over the built-in channel. I also liked the fact that the DRRI weighs a lot less than the Mesa!

A lot depends on the pedal you are using and how it interacts with a particular amp. I think that you should find an amp where the cleans are exactly what you want out of the box. Then shop around among the countless overdrive pedals until you find the one that works best with the amp to get the sound you need. I think Barber makes the best pedals out there for the money, and they have numerous models with different sounds available, but everybody has their own favorite dirt-pedal brand.

• Members

I got the Mesa Boogie F-30 combo. Chimey cleans, nice hard rock gain channel. Got it in 2005, haven't purchased another amp since. :thu:

I don't think it exceeds your weight requirement, it doesn't feel any heavier than other similar combos.

Archived