The Age-Old Question: Strats vs Teles

ArpeggiateTHIS

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

To me, a Strat always sounds like a Strat, while a Tele can sound like damn near anything you want it to.

I agree.

I've played and owned Teles for over 30 years. I've had eerything from pre-CBS Fenders to plywood no-name offshore copies. (The best I ever had was a '73 Fender. Best neck I ever felt on an electric guitar. Ever.)

In that time, I've also owned probably 10-12 Strats (also from vintage Fenders to Squiers to other knockoffs.)

I just have never bonded with any Strat. I know it's subjective...they work for some people; they aren't for me I guess.

I love the hell out of what a Strat can do in the right hands...I think they are a great design--great bit of engineering...I realize they have a lot of utility and versatility. At base, though, I just don't care for them enough to want to play them anymore, but I'll always have some kind of Tele in the quiver.

• Members

From my perspective:

Body type: single versus double cutaway doesn't appear to effect upper-fret access, so to me I just notice that the strat body is a bit lighter in weight. Also, no matter how I try to see around it, I find the strat body contours superior. Only the American Deluxe teles have contoured bodies. Winner by a bit: strat.

Bridge: I prefer a fixed bridge, but you can tighten down a strat bridge and it acts the same way as a fixed bridge. Winner: draw.

Middle pickup: I had to adjust my technique to avoid hitting it with the pick a bunch, but once I adjusted I was fine. You get more sounds out of it, so it's mostly a draw. But some telecasters have one too.

Control layout: I personally do not have an issue accidentally hitting the volume knob. I don't like how the trem arm is in the way of the knobs on the strat. I like the 5-way switching. A draw again.

Sound: Different but equal IMHO. Many different varieties of each. I'd personally like a strat with texas special in the neck and middle position and a telecaster type or humbucker in the bridge, or a tele with a texas special in the neck and middle (fender deluxe nashville is pretty close). But really you need both a strat and tele if you want those sounds. Personally I do, but I only have a strat in my collection right now.

• Members

I cannot consider both an option (although I could probably source a MIM in a fair few months after the first purchase).

You guys are now conflicting too (d'oh!), teles transformed from being "just twangy" to "versatile" is the space of a nighttime and strats went vice versa.

Guess i need to stop procrastinating and try both out...extensively.

• Members

I cannot consider both an option (although I could probably source a MIM in a fair few months after the first purchase).

You guys are now conflicting too (d'oh!), teles transformed from being "just twangy" to "versatile" is the space of a nighttime and strats went vice versa.

Guess i need to stop procrastinating and try both out...extensively.

The big difference is the block and the springs as I see it. Like a spring reverb tank, it makes for a more complex tone for the Strat IMO. People talk of the bell tone with Strats and the notes of both guitars really do blossom differently. The Strat is also a more percussive instrument. Teles vary a lot IMO, some are very twangy, some not so much - I think and I've read that it depends on how magnetic the bridge plate is. I like Teles better (neck position or middle) for chimy strumming stuff - cleaner sound IMO. I like Strats a little better with music that requires a little gain and for percussive effects like string muting. By the way, I just spent half an hour swapping btn my Fender Strat and Tele and Brawley Strat and Washburn Laredo playing through a Peavey Delta Blues for reference.

Check out a band like The Eagles to see how they utilize the strengths of each guitar (as well as several others). Good luck in your quest.:thu:

• Members

Strat neck pup is beautiful, it's comfy and the tremelo's a nice tool. I have yet to bond with the other 2 pups.

Tele has three great positions, but the neck kinda sounds it's got the Dolby switch on; still great but not like the strat. For me, I got to really work at dialing in the bridge pup to make it sound right. Tele has more bite. All 3 positions are distinct.

I'd love to check out a tele with the strat pup in the neck.

• Members

The strat is pointier and the tele has a nicer curve to it.:poke::)'

Plus, didn't you hear that strat owners would not be allowed into the new HC 2.0? It's supposed to be a secret, but that's the real reason behind the change. They are trying to get rid of those riff raffs that own strats.

damn cock n bawls guess i'm screwed

• Members

anytime i toan inspiration i look to Phil X, he's awesome
:thu:

Hell yeah. Not only is he an awesome guitarist, he's funny and cool and seems like a great guy to hang out with. He posted a couple comments on my YouTube channel :)

Archived