Whirlwind vs Fulltone

Loxley

• Members

let me add this from a discussion I had with my local store.

Fulltone's assholeness or "personality" seems to be grating against those who carry their products. Break a 5' Monster Cable, walk into GC, present defective unit... receive replacement.

I have been hearing very bad things (locally) about dealers having a bitch of a time getting stock in their cables. Orders that went out months/a year ago and attitude given with followup calls, yet certain unfulfilled items show up "in stock" at the website. Moreover, the policy as relayed to me via the salesman was that they (Fulltone) want the dealer to ship the cable in on the store's dime to receive the replacement.

Take this thirdhand account from an area you DON'T live in with a grain of salt, but it would behoove you to see if you have a stocking dealer on good terms with a good, steady inventory before investing in the cables. Otherwise, you may be paying $6-$10 on shipping and however much time waiting to get what you should have got immediately by dropping by the dealer.

Frankly, I'd spend my money on an = product with better consumer relations.

• Members

let me add this from a discussion I had with my local store.

Fulltone's assholeness or "personality" seems to be grating against those who carry their products. Break a 5' Monster Cable, walk into GC, present defective unit... receive replacement.

I have been hearing very bad things (locally) about dealers having a bitch of a time getting stock in their cables. Orders that went out months/a year ago and attitude given with followup calls, yet certain unfulfilled items show up "in stock" at the website. Moreover, the policy as relayed to me via the salesman was that they (Fulltone) want the dealer to ship the cable in on the store's dime to receive the replacement.

Take this thirdhand account from an area you DON'T live in with a grain of salt, but it would behoove you to see if you have a stocking dealer on good terms with a good, steady inventory before investing in the cables. Otherwise, you may be paying $6-$10 on shipping and however much time waiting to get what you should have got immediately by dropping by the dealer.

Frankly, I'd spend my money on an = product with better consumer relations.

Point taken, but it's not an issue for me. I have a ton of the Fulltone cables in stock at my store, and we never have any issues of getting more. With the discount, I can get it for pretty much the same price as Whirlwind equivalents. This is why I want to compare them.. if one has better capacitance, I'll certainly get that one for the same price.

• Members

Never tried the Fulltone cables but I have had a Whirlwind Leader forever and a day that's a great cable. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another....heck, they've been making great cables at not too high a price point before all the spendy cables came to the market and that counts for something in my book.

• Members

What is 'better' capacitance? Every cable will demonstrate some signal attenuation and capacitance will increase with cable length. I've used Whirlwind cables for years and they never seem to break. They also have a lifetime replacement warranty-or at least they did have.
Anyhow, most of the sales pitch with cables is snake-oil and much the same as with hi-fi interconnects which I've seen selling at astronomically stupid prices.

• Members

What is 'better' capacitance? Every cable will demonstrate some signal attenuation and capacitance will increase with cable length. I've used Whirlwind cables for years and they never seem to break. They also have a lifetime replacement warranty-or at least they did have.

Anyhow, most of the sales pitch with cables is snake-oil and much the same as with hi-fi interconnects which I've seen selling at astronomically stupid prices.

What I mean by better is lower. I would like the cable that has lower capacitance.. I was wondering if anyone measured the capacitance per unit length for Fulltone.

• Members

I like Fulltone's products. I have heard that Mile Fuller is a jerk, never had to deal with him due to the fact that his products that I own don't break, so I don't care.

I bought some pricey cables and they lasted a couple years. I buy the typical $15.00 Rapco/Switchcraft cable and it lasts 10 years - go figure.

• Members
What I mean by better is lower. I would like the cable that has lower capacitance.. I was wondering if anyone measured the capacitance per unit length for Fulltone.

Depending on the gear you use, lower is not always better. I remember in an amp shootout people wanting to use a cable that would cut the high frequencies since they found the transparency of a particular cable to be too harsh sounding in that context. Plus capacitance is just one of many factors.

I don't know the details for the Fulltone cables, though. I haven't used his products in years. Maybe you can email him and ask him, and hopefully he will be in a good mood :D

Archived