Peavey Bandit 112...

Spike Li

• Members

I had one of those redline Peaveys...and it was LOUD! Sold it to a friend of mine...wish I still had it!

Bandits are great amps. Nice size, plenty of power, and sound great, especially clean. If it's a good price, I'd snatch it up. The redline models are my favorite.

I traded mine and feel the same way. It was my first guitar amp, and not to say I don't have plenty, but damn, for a solid state amp, that thing sounded great. Best solid state sound IMO, especially for the cost. Plenty loud.

• Members

All Peavey SS amps are somewhat similar in tone.

It's interesting.

I have 4 Peavey amps. It's that crystal clear sterile tone.

And they are powerful! They stay clean at high volume. Pretty good stuff.

They only stay clean at high volume if you want them to. With the current production Bandit, you can attenuate the amp down to 25% and set the resonance to tight compressing the signal and tightens up the lows and crank the clean channel to around 4 or 5 depending on how hot your guitar is and the amp starts to break up. By around 6 or 7 is pretty saturated. Of course, it's very loud at that point, but sterile it isn't. Of course, keep the attenuation at full and resonance on loose and you can have an extremely transparent clean jazz tone with the volume around 3 which is loud enough to gig with a drummer. The Bandit often gets dismissed because of it's low price point and a general dislike for Peavey among many due to the stigma that they only offer budget (beginner) gear. Go out and try one out if you can and judge with your ears and hands. I bet you'll be impressed.

• Members

I'm interested in the new Vox AC/VR series too, but the only clip I've found sounds pretty bad, especially the overdrive/distortion settings (all brittle and buzzy sounding) - maybe it was because of a less than experienced knob twiddler/somewhat sloppy playing/ crappy guitar and/or cheap camera mic
:(

http://blog.frugalguitarist.com/fg/blog/post/VOX-Releases-Solid-State-AC30VR-and-AC15VR-in-Japan.aspx

That's crazy! You've linked my own site back to me! :thu:[Edit, quoted reply deleted]

Yes, that clip isn't the best when it's the only one you take what you can get. You must consider the following when watching YouTube clips:

1. How is the amp miced? In this clip it isn't, their using the video camera's mic which almost always drops out the low end and over emphasizes the highs to the point of often sounding brittle. The tones hints at what I want to hear from a Vox which is a tight low end with a little low mid range punch and an open sounding high end.

2. Are the amp's settings shown? Yes, master cranked, od and normal channel at 1 o'clock treble and bass set to noon. However has the player experimented to find the sweet spot for the amp or is this the first time the player has even plugged in? What is the throw of the treble and bass knob. How interactive are the controls? We don't know.

3. What guitar is being used? We have no idea. Could be anything and as such not a valid demonstration of the amp's full range of tones.

I've got my fingers crossed...

• Members

Holy belated update Batman!

Forgot to mention that I totally bought the amp on saturday morning, took it home to finish practicing some songs and then took it to a band audition :D

Even came with a footswitch too!

The distortions arent really "my sound" but thats not an issue as Ive already got a multieffects + distortion pedal for that anyway... tho i noticed that the amps distortions sounded better "in the mix" than some of mine, despite not sounding that way on their own...

The cleans, whilst not quite up to the perfect standard im used to from the JC-120, come very close.

All in all im quite happy with it (touches wood) so thanks for all the feedback on it! :thu:

• Members

Any reason in particular why these are your fave?

I've owned a few Peavey amps, including one of the new Vypyrs. I really like the looks of these, and the redline I had was just awesome...wish I still had it. The new ones sound fine, but they just don't look as classy, nor do the older ones. Really, just a preference thing...

• Members

I've owned a few Peavey amps, including one of the new Vypyrs. I really like the looks of these, and the redline I had was just awesome...wish I still had it. The new ones sound fine, but they just don't look as classy, nor do the older ones. Really, just a preference thing...

Oh ok, i thought it was a tone or quality thing, i much prefer the look of this one to the new one with the pointy logo and cheap feeling chromed knobs

bandit112-angle.jpg

I did however prefer the distortion on the new ones, but its a non issue like i said before.

oh and cheers :D

• Members

Looks like I spoke too soon, just found a problem with the amp :cry:

The "T.Dynamics" knob only seems to work in 1 position (around 40%), everywhere else and the amp is either inaudible or crackly and the volume spikes all over the place... anyone know if this is an easy fix?

• Members

Maybe it's just a dirty pot. Try a squirt of electrical switch cleaner (Electrolube or similar but NOT WD40!) and rotate the knob a few times.

I have an older teal stripe Bandit which sounds great. Previous Peavey amps I owned were a Bandit 65, Backstage Plus, Classic 50. All were solid, reliable and trouble-free.

• Members

Looks like I spoke too soon, just found a problem with the amp
:cry:

The "T.Dynamics" knob only seems to work in 1 position (around 40%), everywhere else and the amp is either inaudible or crackly and the volume spikes all over the place... anyone know if this is an easy fix?

not sure...but call Peavey...they have amazing customer service...

Archived