Fair Warning (Van Halen) - One of the greatest guitar albums EVER!

evh1984

• Members

Just decided to pull this classic out today and listen to it all the way through.

I have a special affinity for this one because it was my first ever rock album. My Dad purchased it for me on my 13th birthday.

Once again, it totally blew me away.

Ed's guitar is more angry, dark, and blistering than ever before, thanks to lots of internal band anguish. I prefer his tone here to that of the debut VH album. Lots of classic rock riffs on this one.

The rest of the band rocks also, particularly Dave's playful vocals ("Hey man, that suit is YOU... you'll get some leg tonight for sure!") and Anthony's thumping bass and classic backing vocals.

Everything about this album is 110% rock-n-roll. Shame on you if you play guitar and don't have this one!

Van%20Halen%20-%20Fair%20Warning.jpg

1. "Mean Street"

• Members

Sarcasm as a second post..... Great start!

Welcome to the forum

:wave:

It's obvious he's been patiently waiting for someone to start a Vah Halen thread, just so he could type those words.

Now his life is complete.

He can die in peace.

• Members

My favorite Van Halen album. I started getting into VH with Women and Children First. Then Fair Warning came out and just blew me away. Killer Eddie on every cut. Though I could do without "Sunday Afternoon in the Park" and "One Foot out the Door."

• Members

It is not my favorite VH record, but is still great. I always get in trouble for saying this, but in a way it is more like a Van Hagar record. What I mean is that it is apparent that Edward had a great deal of creative control on the album and did more of the experimental edgy stuff that we see on the first few Van Hagar albums. The difference is the cheesy songwriting influence of Sammy Hagar is instead the darker side of David Lee Roth's songwriting influence coming together for a picture of what a perfect Van Halen could be. I'm quite sure the struggle behind this record was the beginning of the end for Van Halen.

• Members

It is not my favorite VH record, but is still great. I always get in trouble for saying this, but in a way it is more like a Van Hagar record. What I mean is that it is apparent that Edward had a great deal of creative control on the album and did more of the experimental edgy stuff that we see on the first few Van Hagar albums. The difference is the cheesy songwriting influence of Sammy Hagar is instead the darker side of David Lee Roth's songwriting influence coming together for a picture of what a perfect Van Halen could be. I'm quite sure the struggle behind this record was the beginning of the end for Van Halen.

Actually, Eddie used to say that he would have to sneak into the studio to do his parts because when he did them with everyone there, they didn't like what he was doing. He'd come back with the engineer and recut the parts. Everyone would listen the next day and say it sounded good.

This is also the period when it's said that Ed had had enough and wanted to quit the band and/or kick out Michael Anthony and replace him with Billy Sheenan.

• Members

Actually, Eddie used to say that he would have to sneak into the studio to do his parts because when he did them with everyone there, they didn't like what he was doing. He'd come back with the engineer and recut the parts. Everyone would listen the next day and say it sounded good.

This is also the period when it's said that Ed had had enough and wanted to quit the band and/or kick out Michael Anthony and replace him with Billy Sheenan.

What's the story behind Ed's beef with Michael?

• Members

What's the story behind Ed's beef with Michael?

Ed never really had a beef with Mike until Mike went touring with Sam after Ed had apparently given up on life. Ed is a major control freak (that's why he and Dave couldn't be in a band after 1984) and when Mike wasn't going to play puppet anymore then he had him sign away his rights as a Van Halen member prior to the last tour that they did with Hagar.

Billy would have never stayed with Ed because Ed would have been 'shown up' by him. Ed wanted a basic bass line which accentuated his 'wild' playing. Prior to Ed getting Mike in the band he was very impressed with Mike's playing. Mike can play...don't be fooled by his ridiculous bass solos that he used to do - that was Dave's idea.

As to Van Halen...I love all 6 of the first records that they put out. It was a blueprint that was used to try to make many bands afterwards. VHII is my fav because it has all of the hungry fire yet it also has spontaneity as they only had a week and a half (or so) to do it.

It contains landmarks such as:

Light Up The Sky - possibly the 'most complete' song that Van Halen has ever recorded.

Spanish Fly - a shocker at the time because 'rockers can't play other styles'

Somebody Get Me A Doctor - no explanation required

Outta Love Again - no explanation required

8 of 10 tracks absolutely stellar.

• Members

Ed never really had a beef with Mike until Mike went touring with Sam after Ed had apparently given up on life....

Ed wanted a basic bass line which accentuated his 'wild' playing....

True statements. Particularly the comment about Ed wanting a basic bass line to do his parts over. I think MA was perfect for that. He's a very basic, solid bassist plus he has a great voice.

On the last couple of albums with MA, it's common knowledge that Edward actually went in and recorded the bass parts himself. MA was nothing more than VH's touring bassist at that point.

I wouldn't doubt that Ed played bass on a lot more VH tracks than we know. I've even read here and there that he went in the studio and played some of Alex's drum parts!

You can't be that much of a control freak and expect to have a band.

Archived