Which is more important to your tone... amp or guitar?

MichaelSaulnier

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

At the moment, one of the best sounding guitars through my tube amps is a Squier CV telecaster. I'm fairly convinced that amp is the most important quantity, so long as the guitar is basically OK, but of course amps need to be 'played' as well... and different guitars suit different amps and vice versa.

• Members

Which is more important in your drinking water... the hydrogen or the oxygen?

Yes, a crappy amp will fart all over your tone.

But I can't get any guitar that's not a single-coil Telecaster to sound quite like a single-coil Telecaster.

And I can't get anything but a good bridge humbucker to sound like a good bridge humbucker.

And then there's resonators, jazz boxes, etc.

Just as a great amp will make a cheap-ass strat copy sound impressive, a great guitar will sound pretty darn good going D.I. right into the PA or studio board.

So yeah... Just like it takes twice as many hydrogen atoms than oxygen atoms to make a water molecule, amp choice has a bigger impact on tone than guitar choice. But both matter.

Were I starting over with a $2000 budget...

$100 guitar into a $1900 amp? No.
$1900 guitar into a $100 amp? No.

$1000 guitar into a $1000 amp? YES PLEASE!

• Members

I'd have to guess that about 80-90% of my tone comes from the amp. My tone changes completely through different amps. The amp is crucial.

To riff on the Muddy Waters quote, I could play a crummy guitar through my amp of choice and it would sound about right; I could also play my guitar of choice through a crummy amp and it would sound like a trainwreck.

• Members

... which begs the question... why the {censored} do we get our knickers in so much of a twist about guitars on this forum?

Because that's what the forum is here for.

If you want to talk about the news of the day, go to FARK.com

• Members

You poor amateur. Everyone knows the most important element of tone is the fretboard wood.

And the tone knob. It must affect the tone, I mean it has TONE written all over it for the love of god. If you check eBay for the aged, vintage 50's tone knobs, you can totally score one for under $400. That's just value right there.

• Members
I'd have to guess that about 80-90% of my tone comes from the amp. My tone changes completely through different amps. The amp is crucial.

To riff on the Muddy Waters quote, I could play a crummy guitar through my amp of choice and it would sound about right;
I could also play my guitar of choice through a crummy amp and it would sound like a trainwreck.

That could be a good thing :idea:

Trainwreck-Malou.jpg

• Members

I'd have to say the amp is more important to tone. Having nice guitars is cool too though... they're more comfortable to play. =) I do believe that good pickups really display the finer nuances of your playing... and a good piece of would will have better characteristics than a plywood guitar.

• Members

Both--it may sound like you when you strum an open A on a {censored}ty guitar through a nice amp, but without a guitar that intonates properly and allows you to play well, it's going to go downhill in a hurry.

Unless you already play like {censored}, then it doesn't matter at all.

Archived