Aging guitarists...how do you deal with finger/handjoint fatigue...?

Hemroidius

• Members

this thread prompted by my somewhat arthritic left index finger in particular - where I've been experiencing noticeable tenderness/pain when I play. (I'm 50 BTW.) Especially noticeable when I press down (though lately it feels more like mashing down) the D-G & B strings with the end digit of my index finger to form a 1st position A chord:

x/0

X

Improvising off this is position is usually my starting point for a playing session - cause it's so simple and gratifying. I wonder if I haven't done some damage to this fingerjoint over the years for this position, by using it as a bit of a crutch (in place of the more "proper" form using one finger for each fretted note). My wrists also ache intermittently whenever I do anything requiring consistent hand manipulation. ...maybe it's simply age.

It could be that I play somewhat intermittently the last few years. In part I think my shying away from playing is fed by the discomfort (and vice versa).

Anyways, I tried some simple stretching and self-massage recently between my both my hands/fingers, and it seems to have helped some. I use pretty much standard light gauge strings on all my guitars (10-46 for electric, 12-52 acoustic). I'm considering trying extra lights for a while - I know it will make it easier to play, and I like the feel of extra slinky strings - I just don't like the loss of oomph and tuning stability with lighter gauges. There's always analgesic rub and ibuprofen.

Anyone else got any tricks ?....

• Members

It sounds like you're doing most of the things I would suggest.

I often warm my hands and wrists under warm water... but don't get pruned fingertips. I almost always take a couple of ibuprophren about 30 minutes before playing. I've simplified by style, and rarely play long full barre chord songs... if the song has long repetitive rhythm parts, I isolate the root 5th and major or minor third and play them instead... let the bass player hold down the bottom end.

I also warm up both my hands and voice before playing. If I don't, I really regret it later. Simple finger exercises, chromatic runs etc.

Good luck!

M

• Members

Lots of little things, for me. Lighter strings. Lower action. Different chord voicings and fingerings. Fewer barre chords. Breaks to use a heating pad. More willingness to ignore the pain and keep playing. No more acoustic playing (except a Taylor T5, with 11 gauge strings and low action). Ibuprofen.

I've also found that pressing straight down isn't so bad, but pressing at an angle (to cover multiple strings) hurts too much, so I don't do that very often. Since my problem is primarily in my first joint, sometimes a can press down near my palm on some chords.

There are styles where this approach works fairly well. Trial and error.

• Members

a good forearm massage as part of your warmup will also help. the tendons get tight in the forearm and help constrict them through the carpals and ultimately in the fingers. massaging the forearm to flatten the tendons out helps take some of the stiffness out of the finger joints.

I discovered this due to tennis elbow, and the PT that worked on my left arm was amazing.

it works better if someone else is massaging it for you, but you can do it yourself with similar results.

• Members

Almost 58 here. I proudly use .8's and my guitars, and they are set up perfectly. Did you know that Billy Gibbons and Jimi Hendrix used 8's most of the time? They do break more often, but thats part of it. I use EB Super Slinky and GHS Boomers. 10's on my acoustics usually tuned down to D. On my basses, I use .40-105's, and they are also set up near perfect. I don't do any slapping, anyway. I get compliments on my tone all the time. I just wish I could play that good. I also play my short scale bass for 4 hour sets. Less string tension.

• Members

It's easy rub your hand till they are hot and stretch your fretting fingers each one for 30 seconds then all of them at the same time.

I'll try to explain:

1- stretch your arm in front of you,

2-with your arm stretched raise your open hand and then

3-with your other hand pull you index finger for like 30 seconds(keep doing this with all the fingers)

4-when you finish with every finger pull them all at the same time for 30 seconds

5-start playing

I don't suffer from athritis nor carpal tunnel syndrome but my hand feels so much better than when i start out cold.

• Members

I'm 45 and have actually increased my string gauge from 9s to 10s on my Fenders. And I'm getting better and faster (not necessarily both simultaneously). To me it is all about proper technique (just behind the fret, minimal hand pressure, good posture, etc.) and sensible playing. The 'play until your fingers bleed' mentality might be good for a rebellious teenager but 'play until you think you should take a break' is for the rest of us. And I agree with warming up and settling down routines. It usually takes me about 30 minutes to start playing best when practicing.

• Members

I start out with stretching exercises and run through some scales. I've really focused on using as light of a touch as I can get away with and still getting clean notes, and emphasizing proper thumb placement. I need to still correct some fingering issues that I've had since my teens.

I always feel better after playing, but have very little pain or stiffness in my hands anyway. I hope that I can maintain that.

• Members

Although I'm only 37, I've had problems with my tendons and armmuscles for a while. What really helped me was starting to lift weights, heavy weights that is (of course I started out with light weights and only gradually increased the load). It doesn't take much time, I spend an hour or so twice a week exercising; first a quick run, then I do 5 sets of five repetitions of deadlifts and then benchpresses, and this solved my problems.

This also fits in with studies that show that the best buffer against getting repetitive strain injuries is exercising regularly. What weightlifting basically does is break down your tissue and rebuild it stronger.

The last few months I haven't had time to exercise due to a change of job and being very busy at work, and I can feel the problems returning. Gotta get back in shape, and soon! :)

• Members

Play fewer notes. Choose them more carefully.

*59 next birthday*

This and doing smaller chords - I rarely do a full barre anymore. A two or three note voicing often sit better in a band context and they take less effort to hold down

• Members

Slideeeeeee?

This is what I do. I'm not old by any stretch of the imagination but I broke my hand and tore some ligaments last September. Prior to that I was starting to get tender joints in my fretting hand (I play a lot.... wish I had more skill to show for it)

But while I was in the cast I played with a slide on my thumb, and still play almost 50% of the time with a slide.

Also, lighter touch seems to help. Not only do your hands last longer, but less wear and tear on the strings and the guitar, and enables more dynamics overall better tone IMHO

• Members

Although I'm only 37, I've had problems with my tendons and armmuscles for a while. What really helped me was starting to lift weights, heavy weights that is (of course I started out with light weights and only gradually increased the load). It doesn't take much time, I spend an hour or so twice a week exercising; first a quick run, then I do 5 sets of five repetitions of deadlifts and then benchpresses, and this solved my problems.

This also fits in with studies that show that the best buffer against getting repetitive strain injuries is exercising regularly. What weightlifting basically does is break down your tissue and rebuild it stronger.

The last few months I haven't had time to exercise due to a change of job and being very busy at work, and I can feel the problems returning. Gotta get back in shape, and soon!
:)

Except when you hurt yourself lifting :facepalm: (Which I've done a few times especially with heavy weights).

I'm older than you (50) and I've backed off a lot on my weights because some of my joints just don't like it as much. I've got some trouble with my left elbow and I can get tendonitis easily in that arm so I am pretty careful about warming up. But I cannot seem to develop a light touch (maybe due to the nerve damage in that elbow :idk:) so I always have some discomfort though usually it is not noticable while I play just afterwards like today (sore wrist).

I tend to play through it which might be bad but I started late and I don't have much time...if the Mayan calander is right only 2 years to become a rock star :eek::wave:

• Members

I'm 48 now, and have been having pains in my joints for a few years, on and off. Warming up is important, as is playing with less pressure on the strings - I find this really difficult, as a light touch makes me feel less involved with the guitar and drains the emotions. Might be good to start taking Glucosamine daily, as that helps repair joint damage (been doing it for some time, to save my knees from cycling).

Issues I have now are that I can't stretch so far - playing bass is HARD because I have to move my hand to reach 3 frets up - and general lack of speed. Also I can't play an acoustic with 12s in standard tuning any more. Been using 10s on strats for years, ad DR Tite fits seem to have a lower tension than many strings, so I can still get away with it.

• Members

I took a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement when I was gigging heavily, and it helped. I was getting joint stiffness/soreness that would last through the evening the day after a gig. If I played Thurs/Fri/Sat, I'd still be sore on Monday/Tuesday. Of course, not too sore to play, just annoying. It probably took me about a week of daily supplements to notice an improvement, but it was enough improvement to recommend it.

Right now I'm not gigging at all, so I'm not taking them any more. I still get occasional stiffness/soreness, but I figure that's just me getting old.

Archived