Epiphone Les Pauls Less Prone To Neck Breakage than Gibsons?

stevieb

• Members

I know Gibson set-neck guitars, especially Les Pauls, are notorious for the necks breaking just past the nut. I thought I heard that EPIPHONES were not so bad, but another post here shows an Epi with the same neck break.

Is my assumption that Epi's are somewhat immune to this malady? Best answers would be based on experience seeing and/or repairing several such breaks, second best might be from the owners of Les Pauls.

Thanks, folks.

• Members

Apologies. Plenty of examples of Epis with this exact break can be found. I'm not sure of the exact ratio epi-to-gibson but I know they're certainly not immune. Same basic physics at work in both, i reckon, in view of the similiarity of design.

• Members

I've had two Epi's with cracked headstocks from shipping issues.

But in all honesty it is more of a Gibson issue and here is why. Gibsons use a single piece of wood for the neck which requires a larger piece of material and adds to the cost, but because of the grain of the wood and the angle of the headstock combined with the truss rod hole and tiny amount of wood at the nut it is subject to breaks.

Epiphone on the other hand cuts a slimmer piece of wood at an angle and creates a scarf joint at the nut. It's stronger because the wood glue is stronger than just the grain of the wood on the Gibsons.

• Members

Epis might be marginally better in this respect because Gibson uses 1 piece for the neck and headstock (don't bag on me for the headstock wings, they don't count), so the grain forward of the headstock pitch gets really short. Add the truss rod channel, and there isn't much there.

Epi uses a scarf joint for the headstock, starting around the 3rd fret, so the grain on the headstock is parallel to the headstock, and the wood around the truss rod rout has longer fibers.

• Members

I've had two Epi's with cracked headstocks from shipping issues.

But in all honesty it is more of a Gibson issue and here is why. Gibsons use a single piece of wood for the neck which requires a larger piece of material and adds to the cost, but because of the grain of the wood and the angle of the headstock combined with the truss rod hole and tiny amount of wood at the nut it is subject to breaks.

Epiphone on the other hand cuts a slimmer piece of wood at an angle and creates a scarf joint at the nut. It's stronger because the wood glue is stronger than just the grain of the wood on the Gibsons.

Great minds think alike, or fools seldom differ?

• Members

I appreciate the quick post, but that does not help much. Watch for WHAT? Or, better yet,if you have an answer, just post IT and enough with the false mystery, please.

Oh come on. Do you have the IQ of a dog? You knew damn what what he's talking about. You didn't have to be such an ignorant asshole :cop:

And....Epiphones suffer from it just as much as Gibsons (if you don't know what I mean by the word it, I will come find you and rip your intestines out through your mouth)

• Members

Oh come on. Do you have the IQ of a dog? You knew damn what what he's talking about. You didn't have to be such an ignorant asshole
:cop:

And....Epiphones suffer from it just as much as Gibsons (if you don't know what I mean by the word it,
I will come find you and rip your intestines out through your mouth)

Wow! Isn't a threat of violence a bannable offense?

• Members

Wow! Isn't a threat of violence a bannable offense?

If it gets reported I'm sure a temp ban would be in order. Trollin' is too over the top for anyone to take even the slightest bit seriously and is probably on most member's ignore list.

• Members

Oh come on. Do you have the IQ of a dog? You knew damn what what he's talking about. You didn't have to be such an ignorant asshole
:cop:

And....Epiphones suffer from it just as much as Gibsons (if you don't know what I mean by the word it, I will come find you and rip your intestines out through your mouth)

The internet - serious business

• Members

Isn't some of the tonal qualities of les pauls derived from their neck design? When I play my lp style guitar I can feel alot more vibration through the neck than I can out of my Fender style.

I don't think they need redesigned, people just have to be careful.

Archived