HUGE Frets

Longhair

• Members

If you're talking about the medium jumbo frets, I wouldn't call them huge. Even the jumbo frets on Hwy Ones aren't that big.

The easiest thing to do, and probably the cheapest, is to buy a replacement neck from Mighty Mite with vintage frets.

Play them on something before you decide to change anything.

• Members

I would think think it would be cheaper to replace the neck. A fret job is $200 - $300. Filing huge frets down is very labor intensive and I'm not even sure if it would give the desired results. Better to replace the neck is possible.

• Members

I agree with Bro. It is possible to file the frets down so they are shorter, but there's no much you can do about the width. Filing them down and recrowning and dressing would probably run $100 give or take $50. Replacing the frets would probably be closer to $200. Sell the neck and use the $ for a new one... you should come out pretty even.

• Members

You mean this huge?

Crazy . . . look at those, they're actually rods it looks like, like round, no tang. Or are my eyes messing with me?

edit: D'OH, you replied that they were rods before I posted, I should have read further, sorry :)

Archived