My AC30 Died Tonight

photon9

• Members

I think it's the output tubes...

But I'm not sure.

Let me explain. Not much to explain really. I was playing and suddenly there was just no sound. No weird noises or smoke or anything dramatic. Just sound, then no sound.

I noticed the volume has dropped a bit over the past few weeks. That's all I can think to say.

As alway I appreciate your input.

Hope this isn't another sinker thread :)

• Members

My AD-30 (Vox Valvetronix) has an intermittent sound problem: the sound goes from fully on to fully silent without any warning. I thought it was a jack problem, but when I rattle the guitar cable it doesn't influence the sound.

I have no idea what is wrong with it and I don't want to spend however much getting it fixed when a new one can be had for relatively cheap. Since I can't even afford cheap right now, I just live with a busted ass amp. :mad:

• Members
My AD-30 (Vox Valvetronix) has an intermittent sound problem: the sound goes from fully on to fully silent without any warning. I thought it was a jack problem, but when I rattle the guitar cable it doesn't influence the sound.

I have no idea what is wrong with it and I don't want to spend however much getting it fixed when a new one can be had for relatively cheap. Since I can't even afford cheap right now, I just live with a busted ass amp.
:mad:

It is prolly a jack problem, but the line out one. It is a switching jack, and makes a connection between the pre- and the power amp when nothing is connected in. Cleaning and/or contact spray may help.

• Members

I have no idea what is wrong with it and I don't want to spend however much getting it fixed when a new one can be had for relatively cheap. Since I can't even afford cheap right now, I just live with a busted ass amp.
:mad:

just tore mine apart last week for a similar problem. The input jack has a little PCB on it with a connector that has a set of wire jumpers going to another connector on the main board. Both sides were shorting out.

I ended up hard wiring the input board to the main board and problem solved. Only problem is, if I want to work on the board in the future I have to take the input jack off as well or un-solder it.

as for the OP, I'd take it to a tech before the drop out of sound becomes permanent. You might end up preventing more serious damage.

• Members

my old band mate had several ac30's. sounded great, but my god they were fussy. one minute fine, the next dead. what era is yours?

It's a MIC, early 2000s I think. So I knew going into it that problems should be expected. Was hoping it was simple like tubes. I could swap them myself. But sounds like it could easily be something else too. I think I'll take it to a tech.

Hopefully they will let me hang out and watch / ask stupid questions.

• Members

It has come to my realization that tube amps, especially Laney and VOX don't like to travel in vehicles laying on their backs.

What happens is the tubes are hanging sideways. Any speed bumps or other road hazzards that can cause a bumpy ride jar the tubes and the sockets can take a beating from this as well as the tubes.

Now, me and my buddies with tube amps always transport our amps standing upright. If we don't have other equipment to stow along side of the amp to keep it upright, we use bungie cords.

For your sake, I hope it's cheaper than sockets and tubes but, it most likely is.

• Members

It has come to my realization that tube amps, especially Laney and VOX don't like to travel in vehicles laying on their backs.

What happens is the tubes are hanging sideways. Any speed bumps or other road hazzards that can cause a bumpy ride jar the tubes and the sockets can take a beating from this as well as the tubes.

Now, me and my buddies with tube amps always transport our amps standing upright. If we don't have other equipment to stow along side of the amp to keep it upright, we use bungie cords.

For your sake, I hope it's cheaper than sockets and tubes but, it most likely is.

Thanks for the tip. I have always put it on it's side but I don't think I will anymore. Never really thought of that. Tubes I don't mind changing. It's a pain in the butt pulling out the chassis though. But it's weird that it would be out then working fine 5 minutes later. Seems more likely it would be a wiring issue as stated above. I think that's a little more than I want to get into with my limited knowledge of amps. Don't feel comfortable enough about what's going on back there to put my life on the line!

Archived