Vintage city guitars

awd83

• Members

I gave them a call when they emailed me. Here's how it works:

1. They contact you (and thousands of others a day) about Craigslist posts.

2. The desperate send them their instruments without payments for appraisal.

3. They offer you a low-ball sum. If you decline, they offer a slightly better one, but still one that is under what you should be receiving for it. Remember, their goal is to buy it from you at a price that is financial beneficial to them, with the intent or reselling for a higher price. If you decline once again, they return it, and you're out the price of shipping. Also, lord knows if it just might come up "missing in the mail" or "damaged."

Best case scenario, you walk away having been paid far under what is being asked for the item or what it's worth, the kind of price that someone here, for example, would be {censored}ing stupid to NOT purchase and resell for. Worst case scenario, you're out the shipping price, or your instrument winds up conveniently getting "lost" during return shipping.

I told them to make me an offer based on my pictures and information or to keep walking. They responded with a blatantly cut-and-paste email to everyone who knows how they function to a degree and expresses irritation.

"We recognize people are amazed that we do business different than other

guitar shops, but we are a real business, with a real location, in a real

place in Lansing, Michigan. We are not a Nigerian scam.With over 29 years

of experience in guitars, we wanted to make it an easier process for

people like your self to buy and sell guitars. All in one convenient

location. Vintage City Guitars proudly offers a 100% satisfaction

guarantee. Please feel free to visit our web page at

www.vintagecityguitars.com or you may also check out our business with the

West Michigan Better Business Bureau.

Thank You,

Vintage City Guitars

www.vintagecityguitars.com"

First of all, being registered with the BBB isn't too tough. Secondly, anyone who feels the need to tell you they aren't scamming you without you suggesting it is doing something that even they know is suspect.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I really don't think your idol David Chapelle is very brilliant at all, in any case he's some kind of clinical case who calls a woman a whore because of the clothes she might be wearing? I mean, it's not even funny as a joke? it's, as in a 7 year old boy.

and yet he sounds typical of the type of grown man whose hair has fallen or is impotent,
who then blames women for it
, by putting them down as 'whores', while in reality he's covering up his own inadequacies in front of his 'audience'.

I think you need to revise who your idols are.

Zurdo

zurdo1: Chill to f*ck out. Youre not nearly as smart as you think you are and youre thoi one whos sounding "totally inmature". People like who they like and what they like and last I heard, it's no more your business than it is mine.

on secong thought, are you sure you arent Ian? :rolleyes:

• Members

Everyone should report them to the BBB immediately....

I mean, they haven't really done anything WRONG. It's a legitimate, albeit incredibly stupid and somewhat dishonest, system. They make you an offer and you can accept or decline it... however, if you decline it, you're out the cash you spent sending it to them, so they just hope you say "{censored} it, get this over with." It's legal, but only a dope would go for it.

• Members

I mean, they haven't really done anything WRONG. It's a legitimate, albeit incredibly stupid and somewhat dishonest, system. They make you an offer and you can accept or decline it... however, if you decline it, you're out the cash you spent sending it to them, so they just hope you say "{censored} it, get this over with." It's legal, but only a dope go for it.

THIS is the thing.

The authorities can't stop them because they are only taking advantage of people's human nature weakness, NOT illegal...

As long as they do what they say... they're immune from the authorites while still taking advantage of people.

This is actually worse than the Nigerians...

Because they're doing this in such a big way, with thousands of posts... they're sure to stumble across enough people to make their own shipping costs work out... I'd be curious to see what % of their offers get "accepted"...

Are they SELLING these guitars anywhere?

Are they offering "better" prices than "market" on them?

When I hear "Cash 4 Gold" crowing in their advertising that they've brought in 100 million in gold, and I know they're only paying about 40 to 50 % of the gold value, I have to shake my head... sad but true.

Classic PT Barnum... there's a sucker born every minute.

M

• Members

I mean, they haven't really done anything WRONG. It's a legitimate, albeit incredibly stupid and somewhat dishonest, system. They make you an offer and you can accept or decline it... however, if you decline it, you're out the cash you spent sending it to them, so they just hope you say "{censored} it, get this over with." It's legal, but only a dope would go for it.

reporting to the BBB doesn't mean that they are doing something illegal. Once, I bought a pair of shoes from foot locker when the page, said "in-stock" and had my size. I ordered them and a month later, I called them and said, where are my shoes? They said that they were out of stock. They had taken my money and didn't even bother letting me know they were "out of stock". I contacted the BBB and let's just say, Footlocker gave me some retribution.

Illegitamite business, legal or just fishy, should be reported for others' safety.

• Members

reporting to the BBB doesn't mean that they are doing something illegal. Once, I bought a pair of shoes from foot locker when the page, said "in-stock" and had my size. I ordered them and a month later, I called them and said, where are my shoes? They said that they were out of stock. They had taken my money and didn't even bother letting me know they were "out of stock". I contacted the BBB and let's just say, Footlocker gave me some retribution.

Illegitamite business, legal or just fishy, should be reported for others' safety.

There's really nothing wrong with what they're doing, either, because no one in their right mind would commit to their practices. If you're stupid enough to send your guitar to someone to "appraise," spend your money shipping it there knowing full well that they may give you a sum you're not willing to take and will have to eat that money on a poor offer...

• Members

I took a look at the website. Looks legit to me. They have a business model. It appears to be to buy guitars at the best price they can and sell them for as much as a buyer will pay. Sounds like a logical way to make as much money as they can. That's how you manage to stay in business. If you, as the seller, don't want to sell your guitar for the price they're willing to pay, then they don't have it to sell. If you, as the buyer, don't want to buy it for the price they want for it, you don't get the guitar and they make no money.

This kinda sounds like Business 101. Buy at the best price you can and sell for as much as you can. Kinda how a profitable business works.

If you're uncomfortable sending your guitar to them without getting paid upfront, sell it on eBay. It works the way you want it to there.

I would bet that most of the posters in this thread have never owned/run or been responsible for running a business that was designed to (1) make money, (2) make enough money to pay overhead and employees (and more than just their wages) & (3) actually make enough money to stay in business and take care of your customers for an extended period of time.

Just like alot of threads where the comments come from people that seem to have no understanding, whatsoever, that it actually requires profit on products sold to maintain a business. Some people in this forum want everything for cost and seem to not understand at all that it takes more than break-even (cost vs selling price) to keep the doors open. These folks probably work some kind of job where the funds to pay them come from some unknown (to them) source.

I see comments about prices at GC, but whether you know it or not, their year end net profit (everything is paid for) is less than 5% (if they're lucky). Best Buy runs 2-2 1/2% net at year's end. What would happen if you took your prices and discounted all year, across the board, by 10%? Most guys here would say "big deal". But then your +5% net become -5% net and your business is history.

• Members

So basically, they took what a pawn shop does and focused on music instruments with a larger customer base than those who live close by.

I don't see why people are upset at that business model? I seriously don't.

I would never sell to them or send my gear to someone I didn't know, but that doesn't mean others feel the same way. For some, this is an easy way to dump gear.

-Mc

• Members

I also think it is suspicious that these Low post count people just pop in here all of a sudden with a lot to say.

Vintage City (4)

Lurdo1 (4)

Kimsbarn 55 (1)
(Wouldn't be suprised if this one re-posts tomorrow reporting a perfect completion to the Transaction with Vintage City.)

Seems a strange coinsedence they just show up all of a sudden.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

809 W. Thomas L. Pkwy, Suite #2
Lansing, Michigan 48917

Mapquest it.

They supposedly operate out of a "non traditional storefront" yeah a town house or apartment or something. yeah i think that fits the "non traditional storefront" category. Don't be like me. Don't get royal {censored}ed.

• Members

809 W. Thomas L. Pkwy, Suite #2

Lansing, Michigan 48917

Mapquest it.

They supposedly operate out of a "non traditional storefront" yeah a town house or apartment or something. yeah i think that fits the "non traditional storefront" category. Don't be like me. Don't get royal {censored}ed.

Whad you get for it?

• Members

I got the same email (see below). I think it's a scam and didn't do anything.

Hello,

I am the owner of a guitar store in Lansing, MI and we are currently looking to expand our inventory. I would like to make you an offer for your guitar and will be able to pay you for it with a check or Paypal. If you are interested please fill out a form on our website and someone from our store will be in touch with you soon. CLICK HERE and fill in the form.

Thank you,
Steven

Archived