Vintage city guitars

awd83

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Filled out their online form, and today I got a letter with a prepaid shipping label saying that I just need to ship it to them, then they'll give me top dollar for it.

Thanks, but I don't think so. It may be legit, and I've done this with cell phones and got good money for them, but not for a guitar.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

We do ask you to send in your guitar before payment. The principle reason is so that we can thoroughly inspect your guitar which allows us to give you the best price for it. Otherwise we take on extra risk and the amount that we can pay you will reflect that additional risk.

Bbreaker: Often people may not be willing to sell remotely to other individuals but may be willing to sell to a reputable dealer. We apologize if contacting you has caused you inconvenience.

ABOUT US:

Vintage City Guitars is a business with 30 years of experience in dealing with used and vintage guitars. We have bought and sold hundreds of guitars. We are an A Rated Better Business Bureau member.

Vintage City Guitars's Cash for Guitars program was recently developed to increase our inventory of used and vintage guitars. We guarantee your 100% satisfaction with all transactions. We make the process as easy and risk-free as possible for you. You will never be charged fees for sending in your guitar for inspection. Your guitar will always be carefully handled by our experienced guitar technicians.

If you have any questions, we are always happy to assist. Call us at (517) 323-9848.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

hello folks, notice that the post above mine from "vintagecity" does not have a name or an address.

I joined this forum to express my concern with the modus operandi of Vintage City Guitar, in Michigan, which in my opinion is questionable and suspicious, if not an outright and potential scam.

here is a copy of the e-mail I received from a "Steve" replying to my ad for a guitar I am selling;

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
from Steven
to sale-awepv-**********craigslist.org

date Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 6:32 PM
subject ***********guitar - $**** (*****)
mailed-bycraigslist.org

** CRAIGSLIST ADVISORY --- AVOID SCAMS BY DEALING LOCALLY
** Avoid: wiring money, cross-border deals, work-at-home
** Beware: cashier checks, money orders, escrow, shipping
** More Info: http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams.html

Hello,
I am an owner of a guitar dealership and I am very intrested in buying your guitar and can send you a check or paypal right away. If you are interested please CLICK HERE and fill in the form.
Thank you,
Steven

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course I searched online after clicking on the CLICK HERE link and finding out who the business is, only to find out the same concern from many others all over the internet.

The scheme is like this:
Vintage City Guitar (Steve) sends the same e-mail to many people selling guitars all over the USA in Craigslist and eBay.

He tells them "I can send you a check or paypal right away" which is a totally false statement because after you release your information and Serial Number to Steve and Vintage City Guitar, they send you NO PAYMENT but Call Tag Labels for you to send your guitar to them for an "appraissal" at which time they will "make you an offer".

So the above "official response" is nothing but hogwash and more false statements.

The lie consists of the fact that no money exchanges hands "right away". This is a potential scam and I advise everybody to avoid dealing with this "Steve" and not fall for it. Also, you need to understand that this same e-mail is being sent to hundreds if not thousands of sellers all over the USA, so they are actually "phishing" to see who bites. You follow?

do not be a fool and send them your precious instrument without payment up front, I have heard from others that did send their instruments, that they got a very low ball offer and when they refused, Steve at Vintage City Guitar dragged his feet to return the instrument to its owner, including coming up with stories that the instrument had been damaged involving the guitar's owner in a quagmyre of claims and counter-claims which will leave you without your instrument and without your money. Beware.

Other stories are starting to show up online. Do a google search for "vintage city guitar" and you will see.

BEWARE. THIS IS A POTENTIAL SCAM. Michigan authorities are shadowing this scheme in Lansing Michigan, as well as other concerned entities. :cop:

Moreover, the street address given by "Steve" is NOT A RETAIL BUSINESS and appears to not exist. Something sounds suspicious?
:cop:

• Members

It depends what are you selling . . .

Exactly what I was thinking. If you indeed are selling a rare or vintage guitar it might make sense for a company like that to show interest. If you're selling a common or lower-end guitar, I would bet it to be a scam. In any case I'd be very suspicious. It's a buyer's market out there now, and I'd be suspicious of any company that is beating the bushes (Craigslist) to find used instruments for their inventory.

• Members

I have been to Lansing many times to go to Elderly to play and purchase guitars...I have never heard of these guys until last month when these very questions started turning up on the boards here. Frankly I smell a rotten fish in the room.

Personally I would never send my guitar to someone with out payment in hand or in some type of escrow ( wouldn't trust cash for gold either)

• Members

I have been to Lansing many times to go to Elderly to play and purchase guitars...I have never heard of these guys until last month when these very questions started turning up on the boards here. Frankly I smell a rotten fish in the room.

Personally I would never send my guitar to someone with out payment in hand or in some type of escrow ( wouldn't trust cash for gold either)

exactly, and if you read their reply carefully, it says "they have been in business for 30 years", that is hogwash, and it seems to me that guitarists FROM MICHIGAN would have heard of Vintage City Guitar in the last 30 years, but nobody has heard from them before until these threads started, and there are others. Not to mention they JUST joined the BBB in Michigan a month ago.

• Members

Even if they are a reputable business that has simply been flying under the radar unnoticed ( which is very doubtful for a business which has managed to survive for the last thirty years), this current "program" really makes them look like a scam.

If you really are legitimate I would seriously rethink your new business model because it taints your reputation..

• Members

As the OP, I think it is really odd that this thread keeps reappearing - the second time with at least a week or more in between posts. It definitely makes me think it is a scam more and more each time, since some one else keeps having suspicions about them.

• Members

Odd, they haven't been back to respond.

I'm going to be in their area next month on business. Looks like I need to stop by and take pics of the "storefront" at that address. Maybe I'll bring some gear with me and see how they operate in person. Sounds like they have LOTS of qualified employees ready to help.

-Mc

• Members

Maybe this company is legitimate but they don't act like it...

As the brilliant David Chappelle once said when discussing women who dress a certain way at clubs and then act indignant when approached too blatently..." Ok lady, fine, you are not a whore, but you are wearing a whores uniform."

• Members

Maybe this company is legitimate but they don't act like it...As the brilliant David Chappelle once said when discussing women who dress a certain way at clubs and then act indignant when approached too blatently..." Ok lady, fine, you are not a whore, but you are wearing a whores uniform."

I really don't think your idol David Chapelle is very brilliant at all, in any case he's some kind of clinical case who calls a woman a whore because of the clothes she might be wearing? I mean, it's not even funny as a joke? it's totally inmature, as in a 7 year old boy.

and yet he sounds typical of the type of grown man whose hair has fallen or is impotent, who then blames women for it, by putting them down as 'whores', while in reality he's covering up his own inadequacies in front of his 'audience'.

I think you need to revise who your idols are.

Zurdo

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

hello folks, notice that the post above mine from "vintagecity" does not have a name or an address.

I joined this forum to express my concern with the
modus operandi of Vintage City Guitar
, in Michigan, which in my opinion is questionable and suspicious, if not an outright and potential scam.

here is a copy of the e-mail I received from a "Steve" replying to my ad for a guitar I am selling;

YO ZURDO, I'M REALLY HAPPY FOR YOU AND IMA LET YOU FINISH, BUT NIGERIAN ROYALTY WITH EMAIL ACCOUNTS ARE THE BEST SCAMMERS OF ALL TIME!!!

• Members

Hi, I am trying to find out some more information about these guys! Thanks for your post! I just sent my guitar in and I started reading these? I am upset that I didn't research it before. I am a little worried now! Can you help?

Not now. Let us know how it goes. Keep in mind, though, that mail fraud is a federal felony and if you get the feds involved, they're a lot less complacent than local cops.

• Members

Odd, they haven't been back to respond.

I'm going to be in their area next month on business. Looks like I need to stop by and take pics of the "storefront" at that address. Maybe I'll bring some gear with me and see how they operate in person. Sounds like they have LOTS of qualified employees ready to help.

-Mc

I sure as hell hope you follow through, and call up to see the insides or take a tour. This would be immensely valuable for people all over the US, on many different boards. If you can take the time to help us out, please do.

Archived