Lol...Greenday beats Clapton, U2...in Grammys

rocknhard

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
There is NO comparison between Swift and any others you have mentioned above.

Yes, she has written songs, and plays guitar (a Taylor, no less...) - good for her. So does Michelle Branch, who came out firing hot with her song "Everywhere" when she was 18 (a MUCH better song than ANYTHING TS has done)...anyone heard from MB lately ???

Bottom line is, with Madonna, Jagger, Springsteen, Townshend, et, al that you mentioned above, they had SOMETHING DIFFERENT that people realized very quickly. They were revolutionary. They changed music and made their mark...TS is a product of a HUGE marketing push by desperate record company folks who are DYING to get their next pop tart out there. And the fact that she's being pushed as a country artist is such a big joke that even Shania Twain has to be laughing...

+100

Thank you for making the response that I would have made - but well worded. :)

If I see/hear one more poppy singer strummin' an acoostic like they can actually 'play' a guitar and write good music (because, yeah, there are more than three chords and some of them AREN'T FRICKING MAJOR CHORDS!!!!!) (sorry, once you go theory, you never go back) then I'm going to play death metal 24/7 as loud as possible over it.

• Members

In 1964 many people thought The Beatles were a joke. I Want To Hold You Hand with it's cookie cutter lyrics. People thought a pop band's shelf live was 1 year 2 at best.

There's your problem. If you knew your Beatles history then you'd realize that before they became the Lads from Liverpool, they were the Greasers from Germany. That is where they learned their chops - from skiffle to real blues and rock'n'roll chops. When they signed up to record, they were forced to change their image (hair, clothes, attitude), their drummer (Pete Best to Ringo Starr), and their music (for the time being). While it was still their music, it was intentionally poppy for popular appeal (duh). They followed that up in only a few years with their real musical genius.

While they were being poppy at first, they had the musical skills to back up deeper music. That is rare for pop bands and rare for them today it seems

• Members
Why bother...
:confused::facepalm::confused:

Hey, that was fine with me. I'm in my early 50s and the Green Day CD was the only one nominated that I'd bought.

Endless downward spiraling rehashings from Clapton and U2 aren't necessarily my thing.

But like a local radio show pointed out, Neil Young was was just awarded his first ever Grammy and it was for something like "Boxed CD Packaging?". http://www.nme.com/news/neil-young/49505

With Neil Young receiving just that 1 in his lifetime, and Beyonce' receiving 6 in just one night, well :facepalm:

Grammies :rolleyes:

• Members
Does Neil Young sing "well?" Mick Jagger, Bruce Springsteen, Pete Townshend.

I remember trying to get my friends in 1978 to get on board with the Boss. Took 'em to No Nukes movie and they all hated him thought he was a phony playing up the to the camera. Jackson Browne was the fave.

I remember the first time I heard After The Goldrush and that voice was a bit strange. Actually same w/Springsteen.

Grateful Dead seemed to have a nice long career with no notable "singers"

Oh by the way, I am not a huge fan of Taylor's but she has gained a sizeable audience, plays guitar and writes songs. Not bad. John Lennon was 23 when Meet The Beatles came out in America.

Only time will tell with Taylor.

No one (but me who was the only person in my circle of friends who championed her) thought Madonna would still be here. Oh yeah another "non" singer.

FAILURE

• Members
1. Popularity does
not
equal quality.

2. The songs she writes are pop {censored}. Really awful stuff.

3. Hopefully, time will tell her to give up.

really isn't relevant. look at the stuff the beatles were putting out when they were her age--- hell taylor swifts songs actually are more complex structure wise than say stuff like "love me do" which could be interpreted as pop {censored} as well

but then again only Time will tell.
imagine if somehow in 6 years she got really good at guitar and made a black metal album

• Members

Never did understand the sheer level of hate for Bono. Sure, the guy can be a pretentious arse, but it amazes me that people just don't understand what he's trying to do half the time. The world will never be changed by some rich rock stars throwing money at problems. If things are gonig to improve, it needs a major change of approach from all of us. But then, I guess a lot of folks don't like that - might mean an end to cheap fuel and consumer goods.... :poke:

It's the Grammy's what do you expect? The gave Best Rock Vocal Performance to Lenny Karavitz 4 years running. I dig some of Lenny's music but Best Vocal Performance doesn't enter ones mind when listening to him.

Based on what I've heard of his stuff, all I've ever thought was "third rate Hendrix-wannabe".

• Members
I don't understand the infatuation people seem to have with Taylor Swift. The girl really doesn't sing very well. If she was unknown and auditioned for American Idol, she would never get that gold ticket to Hollywood, much less have a chance to sing on TV. No real voice...

Agreed. She's cute & writes cute songs for her demo, but live the poor girl can't sing in key to save her life.

Tried sitting thru the Grammy Show last night, but OD'd on Autotune by 10 & was out. :facepalm:
It's lot's more fun with the sound turned off.

• Members
I don't understand the infatuation people seem to have with Taylor Swift. The girl really doesn't sing very well. If she was unknown and auditioned for American Idol, she would never get that gold ticket to Hollywood, much less have a chance to sing on TV. No real voice...

Yes. She sort of warbles/whines into the mic.

• Members

I'm not going to get caught up in the arguement regarding who deserves an award. Clapton is not lacking for any little trophies or for $$$, and I haven't liked Green Day since Dookie (which is a really good album).

From a guitar player's perspective, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Jeff Beck's tribute to Les Paul. It wasn't my favorite Beck performance but I always enjoy his playing. Plus that Imelda May bird is smokin hot (IMO).

Cheers,

J

• Members

This post covers alot. Main best points IMO, Bono Shmono, alot of people in Florida that can not get the medical care that the Haitians are getting for free, really old music is great and I love Clapton but new music is fresher, every body posting can not even get invited to the grammys or a post party, but Talor Swift did